• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Hey Dan. Why not go ask the committee at Logan Rugby Club and ask them what the QRU have been doing to help the club?

And as for the investment in grassroots rugby there's a lot more grassroots in Qld than 10 premier clubs.

The comment was about how the QRU spend the money granted from ARU to the QRU for the express purpose of managing and promoting Premier Rugby. It isnt for grassroots rugby in other areas of qld it is for an express purpose. Fact

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
It was a committee member (who did a lot of the work with council etc) ,who actually pointed out what was said and asked what the QRU had done to assist, the answer seemed to be very very little. And for the rest, on helping the club, I think I can confidently say they don't feel QRU does a lot to help or hinder the club. I not or even heard them kick up a stink because QRU not doing enough, I just say don't perhaps shouldn't perhap pretend they are doing things they aren't.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Anyway back to actual rugby itself, watched the early parts of Filth/Stingrays yesterday and was struck about the size or lack of size of both teams, I actually never really noticed during year, but does anyone else think we have fairly small players in Prems?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyway back to actual rugby itself, watched the early parts of Filth/Stingrays yesterday and was struck about the size or lack of size of both teams, I actually never really noticed during year, but does anyone else think we have fairly small players in Prems?

Are you kidding? Full strength easts pack? And the gpsmand Sunnybank pack give me nightmares and I am 20m away in the can bar

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yeah have to agree with TD. GPS and Easts have some monsters, especially in the second row.

Some teams do have some smaller packs though, the Souths games I watched they had a very agile and mobile pack, but not the biggest guys. Same for University, only Kevin Davis Is sizeable in that pack.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Why she would stop talking about it?
Considering the impact it has on the competition it rightly deserves to be discussed in the premier grade thread.
I don't know where u are getting that info from about twins but it's rife apparently through the reds as well. I know for a fact that GPS have not paid them to play for them. The deal with Souths went sour over an agreement on cars. That's it. I'm not a massive fan of the twins rugby but as ambassadors to the game they are the best. Oh and on Sunnybank it might have something to do with having the old southport school first xv coach now there that they have all these players. There is I think 5 blokes in the reds from that team who all play for Sunnybank from that team

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't know where u are getting that info from about twins but it's rife apparently through the reds as well. I know for a fact that GPS have not paid them to play for them. The deal with Souths went sour over an agreement on cars. That's it. I'm not a massive fan of the twins rugby but as ambassadors to the game they are the best. Oh and on Sunnybank it might have something to do with having the old southport school first xv coach now there that they have all these players. There is I think 5 blokes in the reds from that team who all play for Sunnybank from that team

The twins might not be getting paid this year but last year I know they called up wests asking for offers.

Also Simmons and taps are the only TSS schooled reds players on the books for Sunnybank aren't they?

Possible exaggeration on your part

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Are you kidding? Full strength easts pack? And the gpsmand Sunnybank pack give me nightmares and I am 20m away in the can bar
Like I said TD, just teams on sat I thought were small, now you mention it I remember commenting on size of one of Sunnybanks locks earlier in year (the captain I think) maybe getting end of season and memory going of earlir games I saw.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Kriukelis isn't a big guy but is tall, has a great reach and can cause opposition teams huge headaches at lineout time but isn't a big guy.
I think big locks are hard to come by. Easts are very lucky to have 2 of them in their pack at the moment. Athletes who are 2m+ are chased down by quite a few different sports. AFL are very proactive and basketball appeals to guys due to the opportunities overseas. Clubs, and the sport in general, have to be more proactive in nurturing this talent as it comes through the ranks.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)

The twins might not be getting paid this year but last year I know they called up wests asking for offers.

Also Simmons and taps are the only TSS schooled reds players on the books for Sunnybank aren't they?

Possible exaggeration on your part

They were definitely chasing money but no club has that sort of coin these days other than Sunnybank who don't need to pay for anymore players. Mate I'll come back to you. I thought it was 5 but I'll do so more research before saying it's fact

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The Easts 2nd Rowers stand out amongst most opposition packs. But there backups would be considered short for second rowers. As being discussed on another thread is the lack of size in the backrow in Aus Rugby. This is very evident in the QPR comp.

But i was quote impressed with the size and physicality of the GPS forwards. Particularly there number 8 i think.

How much money are we talking, when clubs are paying players?

T

TOCC

The comment was about how the QRU spend the money granted from ARU to the QRU for the express purpose of managing and promoting Premier Rugby. It isnt for grassroots rugby in other areas of qld it is for an express purpose. Fact
Rugrat, the ARU has money which it specifically grants to the QRU for the purpose of the Premier Grade rugby competition, likewise NSWRU receive money specifically for the Shute Shield, Grassroot funding is separate .. have a read of the ARU/QRU/NSWRU annual reports.

Yes i don't doubt its 'rife' through the Reds, i believe Digby is well compensated by Sunnybank, however the issue with the twins and GPS is that players switched clubs over the matter...

Which brings me back to the original point that poaching professional players from clubs within the same competition is a form of an 'arms race', clubs will continue to offer more and more for the ability to say they have these great 'ambassadors at the club.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So who plays who in the finals this week? Who are the favourites, who has injuries?

Lets get some real rugby talk going on this thread again.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Brothers vs University (winner straight to the final)
Sunnybank vs GPS (Winner plays loser of the first game).

Unfourtunately I think GPS have drawn the short straw here, I can't see them getting up over Sunnybank in the current form the Dragons are in.

The other final is much harder to pick. I think Brothers are in a bit of a form slump of late, whilst the students have been tearing teams apart. I'm picking Uni to win this one and face the Dragons in the final. The Uni backline looks ridiculously slick and if they have Mike Harris and Luke Morahan again (as they did on the weekend) I think they have alot of points in them.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Brothers have owned the Student for 3 or 4 consecutive games (Going back to last year)

All it will take is a Lombardi type coach speech for the Filth to be fired up & play the role of Uni's kryptonite.

As for the other game.. This time next week GPS mad monday.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Rugrat, the ARU has money which it specifically grants to the QRU for the purpose of the Premier Grade rugby competition, likewise NSWRU receive money specifically for the Shute Shield, Grassroot funding is separate .. have a read of the ARU/QRU/NSWRU annual reports.

Yes i don't doubt its 'rife' through the Reds, i believe Digby is well compensated by Sunnybank, however the issue with the twins and GPS is that players switched clubs over the matter.

TOCC the NSWRU no longer manages the shute shield competion it is managed by the Sydney Rugby Union. This was done as the clubs were not happy with the way the NSWRU managed and promoted the competion. The Sydney Rugby Union became directly affiliated to ARU and they recieve the grant form the ARU. Yes The ARU grants money to the Premier Grade comp in qld via the QRU, my question is what do they spend it on?

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
So who plays who in the finals this week? Who are the favourites, who has injuries?

Lets get some real rugby talk going on this thread again.
Favourites in my mind would be UNI. The they will beat Brothers this weekend and have been good all year. GPS v Sunnybank will be tight and too hard to call I reckon.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I am leaning towards Brothers and Sunnybank winning this weekend. For no real reason. Just gut feel. Hopefully someone will give enough reason for those predictions on this thread so I can tip that way.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Really hard for me not to pick Sunnybank as winner of the whole thing this year, they have got the right players back at the right time and look to be playing well. I think GPS would have faired better against either Uni or Bros but will struggle to get over Sunnybank. Having Saia and DK there on the weekend really helped but without them it means another forward pack reshuffle and they are losing a fair bit of go forward. Hopefully JP Smith will return this weekend to add another ball running element. I am by no means writing GPS off but they will need to play a tactical error free game and hope Sunnybank aren't firing in order to get on top.

Brothers will probably get over Uni in a close game me thinks. Not really a whole lot of thought going into that tip other than Brothers being more consistant throughout the year and imo having the deadliest back 3 in the comp with the inclusion of Shipperly.

Status
Not open for further replies.