• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

The Occasional Fly Half

Bob McCowan (2)
TRC's GPS TEAM OF THE SEASON - PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR THOUGHTS - CHEERS.

MEAT EATERS
1. Lucas Clifford (The Pitbull) (BBC)
2. John Grenfell (NC)
3. Elijah Su'a (BSHS)
4. Eli Langi (BSHS)
5. Cooper Eagle (The Birdwatcher) (BBC)
6. Hugo Hart (NC)
7. Joe Gray (TGS)
8. Oliver Nasser (GT)

TWINKLETOERS
9. Tom Goldie (TSS)
10. Seamus Boakes (Mr Physics) (BSHS)
11. Sam Russell (The Dagger) (GT)
12. Frank Howarth (BBC)
13. Laquan Afamiliona (BSHS)
14. Nick Conway (The Conman) (NC)
15. Treyvon Pritchard (TreyTreyBaby) (ACGS)

BOMB SQUAD
16. Barry Smith (BazzaGazza2024) (BGS)
17. Blaze Moana (TSS)
18. Isaac Raulini (NC)
19. Ed Kaspserdfondwich (NC)
20. Roman Siulepa (BSHS)
21. George Hales (Jack Russell) (GT)
22. Finn Kendall (The King of Bondall) (IGS)
23. Amizah Murgha (Stepping Stone) (IGS)

SHADOW
24. Conrad Scott (Loves Squid Game) (BBC)
25. Dan Wells (TSS)
26. xX_Agapetos Lote-Felo_Xx (Pesto Pasta) (TSS)
27. Sam Watson (NC)
28. Illy Balvava.. etc (TGS)
29. Siosaia Poese (GT)
30. Joe McGahan (GT)

As a bit of light-hearted fun I've included all the nicknames I've heard on the forum throughout the season. Thanks everyone for great foruming throughout this season and I would love to hear your teams too.
Nice list TRC! I like the courage in putting Nasser in there at 8. I agree there is merit, although Roman is, of course, an excellent talent.

One of the great parts of this forum is looking at different merit lists. For instance, this list skips a few of the QLD GPS Australian Under 18 reps (Armistead and Johnson - NC, Uys - TSS), but there is a bit of 'apples and oranges' when you consider Tahs competition and age groups. That being said, the Reds 18s academy were missing a couple on that Aus Under 18s list as well from my observation.

I do spare a thought for Treyvon Pritchard. While there may be circumstances we are not across, I note he was on the provisional Australia team list from July, but not the final list. He seems to have played in ACGS's final game against TSS, so I doubt it is injury.

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
Nice list TRC! I like the courage in putting Nasser in there at 8. I agree there is merit, although Roman is, of course, an excellent talent.

One of the great parts of this forum is looking at different merit lists. For instance, this list skips a few of the QLD GPS Australian Under 18 reps (Armistead and Johnson - NC, Uys - TSS), but there is a bit of 'apples and oranges' when you consider Tahs competition and age groups. That being said, the Reds 18s academy were missing a couple on that Aus Under 18s list as well from my observation.

I do spare a thought for Treyvon Pritchard. While there may be circumstances we are not across, I note he was on the provisional Australia team list from July, but not the final list. He seems to have played in ACGS's final game against TSS, so I doubt it is injury.
Cheers mate - at end of the end of the day it’s all opinion and I think at the end of the day any of those 30 players on their day would have a go at the reds IMO. Would love to hear your/any other personal TOTS from the forum. PS - 2nd XV list coming soon.

The Occasional Fly Half

Bob McCowan (2)
Good to see 5 Nudgee boys, 2 Southport boys and a State High kid in the squad but no others selected from Qld GPS. After GPS rugby it pretty much goes to a very poor and rugby illiterate culture and very poorly run organisation. Our national side getting beaten by 67 points overnight should be the final nail in the coffin where they should clean out every single person in the team as well as all coaches and administrators.
From my count (not including players who are now outside schoolboy system and playing QLD Club rugby)

4 Nudgee (Armistead, Johnson, Conway, Grenfell)
3 TSS (Uys, Goldie, Moana)
1 BSHS (Langi)

Out of interest from AAGPS (NSW GPS System) credit to (@TheMaulester):

4 Scots
2 Riverview
2 Shore
2 Kings
2 Newington
1 Joeys

Re: comments on NRL Contracts (@Brian O’Driscoll and @Wicked Left Foot, the following have minor NRL contracts credit to (@TheMaulester and @The Ghost of Raelene ) from AAGPS forum:

Makasini
Lemoto
Bassingthwaite
Fittler

AAGPS Chat on Aus 18s

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
From my count (not including players who are now outside schoolboy system and playing QLD Club rugby)

1 BSHS (Langi)

4 Scots
2 Riverview
2 Shore
2 Kings
2 Newington
1 Joeys

Re: comments on NRL Contracts (@Brian O’Driscoll and @Wicked Left Foot, the following have minor NRL contracts credit to (@TheMaulester and @The Ghost of Raelene ) from AAGPS forum:

Makasini
Lemoto
Bassingthwaite
Fittler

AAGPS Chat on Aus 18s
Great info here mate - appreciate the research and interesting to see. I truly wonder how well NC and the rest of the GPS would stack up against these Sydney boys.

The Occasional Fly Half

Bob McCowan (2)
Great info here mate - appreciate the research and interesting to see. I truly wonder how well NC and the rest of the GPS would stack up against these Sydney boys.
If you include the non GPS schoolboys, the list is even more balanced towards Waratahs - and fair enough in my view. I watched quite a few of their headline games this year and they have some phenomenal talent. If you look at Reds vs Tahs in the final of U16 2022 (the corresponding teams from two years ago in age), score was 32-3 in favour of the Tahs. To be fair, lots of different names in those squads as linked: Under 18 Squad 2024 and Under 16 QLD vs Waratahs team lists 2022

Sofit

Herbert Moran (7)

Nudgee beat the top rugby school the last two years and lost the year before that ie Barker who beat the GPS schools. I think NSW probably have more depth across more schools there though as Qld really only producing 2 or 3 top teams each year.

Brian O’Driscoll

Chris McKivat (8)

1 BSHS (Langi)

4 Scots
2 Riverview
2 Shore
2 Kings
2 Newington
1 Joeys

Makasini
Lemoto
Bassingthwaite
Fittler

AAGPS Chat on Aus 18s
Conway is in serious negotiations with the Rorters and Johnson with the Cowgirls.

backfencebandit

Chris McKivat (8)
Now that the season is done I would like to wrap up with my season awards and TOTY

MVP: Roman Siulepa (BSHS)
Best Forward: John Grenfell (NC)
Best Back: Nick Conway (NC)
Young Gun: Tai Taka (BBC)

1. Kingsley Uys (TSS)
2. John Grenfell (NC)
3. Elijah Su'a (BSHS)
4. Ed Kasperwicz (NC)
5. Eli Langi (BSHS)
6. Joey Grey (TGS)
7. Hugo Hart (NC)
8. Roman Siulepa (BSHS)
9. Tom Goldie (TSS)
10. Illy Baravilala (TGS)
11. Tai Taka (BBC)
12. Frank Howarth (BBC)
13. Kilarney Lavender (TSS)
14. Nick Conway (NC)
15. Jacob Johnson (NC)

16. Charlie Hollyman (GT)
17. Blaze Moana (TSS)
18. Oscar Donovan (BBC)
19. Trent Picot (BSHS)
20. Oliver Nasser (GT)
21. Sam Watson (NC)
22. Max Blanch (ACGS)
23. Amaziah Murgha (IGS)

TheMaulester

Ted Fahey (11)
Nudgee beat the top rugby school the last two years and lost the year before that ie Barker who beat the GPS schools. I think NSW probably have more depth across more schools there though as Qld really only producing 2 or 3 top teams each year.
Just so you know, Barker is not the best rugby school in NSW, by a fair bit. Anyone in NSW regardless of the school they're associated with can admit the best rugby school in NSW is Joeys. Barker is in Sydney's CAS competition and were the winners of that competition in 2022 and 2024 (in recent years), while the team that came last in Sydney's AAGPS this year (Riverview) beat the top CAS team Barker earlier in the season. That goes to show that Barker is at least about 6 teams (the whole AAGPS) behind being the best schoolboy team in NSW. The best team in 2024 from NSW would be Shore or St Augustine's, which both schools beat Joeys this year (Nudgee is the QLD equivalent to Joeys from Sydney, just likely not to the same level - St Augustine's beat shore by 4 points in a friendly during the school holidays, however Shore took it as a friendly when they were up by 10 odd at one point and put on a team that was more than half of 2nds players as reserves, while St Augustine's left their starting team on to try and make a comeback, which they did -
). The last time Barker beat a Sydney AAGPS school was Joeys in 2021. In 2022 Barker beat Nudgee, but in 2023 and 2024 Nudgee beat Barker. Also, at the start of the season Shore beat TSS 50-0 at Southport. Only if there was a competition were the AAGPS winner plays the CAS winner, then the winner of that game goes on to play the winner of QLD GPS.

Last edited:

The Blin6side

Darby Loudon (17)
Now that the season is finished I would like to see everyone’s GPS White (1st, 4th, 6th, 8th) (+DC), and GPS’ Purple (2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th)… This would mean White would consist of NC, TSS, TGS, GT and DC. And Purple would consist of BSHS, BBC, IGS, ACGS and BGS… Remember the rules for selection minimum of two from each school (Except Downlands, only one is required for selection). Let me know… I will be drafting mine shortly.

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
Now that the season is finished I would like to see everyone’s GPS White (1st, 4th, 6th, 8th) (+DC), and GPS’ Purple (2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th)… This would mean White would consist of NC, TSS, TGS, GT and DC. And Purple would consist of BSHS, BBC, IGS, ACGS and BGS… Remember the rules for selection minimum of two from each school (Except Downlands, only one is required for selection). Let me know… I will be drafting mine shortly.
Will add to the to do list - currently refining my 2nd XV TOTS.

WHACKO_JACKO.GT

Larry Dwyer (12)
GPS WHITE:

1. Kingsley Uys
2. John Grenfell (C)
3. Charlie Hollyman
4. Ed Kasporwicz
5. Charlie Cross
6. Tom Bailey
7. Hugo Hart
8. Oliver Nasser
9. Tom Goldie
10. Sam McGahan
11. Myles Rosemond
12. Kilarney Lavender
13. Saia Poese
14. Nicholas Conway
15. Jacob Johnson

GPS Purple:
1. Jean Paul-Sia
2. Harry Solofa
3. Cyrus Suniala
4. Eli Langi
5. Jye Crothers
6. Tyler Mayberry
7. Trent Picot
8. Roman Suilepa
9. Marley Ngatai
10. Tyson Walker
11. Amaziah Murgah
12. Max Blanch (C)
13. Finn Kendall
14. Frank Howarth
15. Treyvon Pritchard

backfencebandit

Chris McKivat (8)
Team White: (No DLC not familiar with the team)
1. Kingsley Uys (TSS)
2. John Grenfell (NC)
3. Charlie Hollyman (GT)
4. Ed Kasperwicz (NC)
5. Bennett Armistead (NC)
6. Hugo Hart (NC)
7. Joey Grey (TGS)
8. Ollie Nasser (GT)
9. Tom Goldie (TSS)
11. Myles Rosemond (TGS)
12. Kilarney Lavender (TSS)
13. Saia Poese (GT)
14. Nick Conway (NC)
15. Jacob Johnson (NC)

Team Purple
1. Oscar Donovan (BBC)
2. Cyrus Suniala (BSHS)
3. Elijah Su'a (BSHS)
4. Jye Crothers (ACGS)
5. Eli Langi (BSHS)
6. Trent Picot (BSHS)
7. Lincoln Dalton (BGS)
8. Roman Siulepa (BSHS)
9. Joesph Post (IGS)
10. Zac Reader (BGS)
11.Tai Taka (BBC)
12. Frank Howarth (BBC)
13. Max Blanch (ACGS)
14. Amaziah Murgha (IGS)
15 Treyvon Pritchard (ACGS)

beachrugby_45

Frank Row (1)
Now that the season is done I would like to wrap up with my season awards and TOTY

MVP: Roman Siulepa (BSHS)
Best Forward: John Grenfell (NC)
Best Back: Nick Conway (NC)
Young Gun: Tai Taka (BBC)

1. Kingsley Uys (TSS)
2. John Grenfell (NC)
3. Elijah Su'a (BSHS)
4. Ed Kasperwicz (NC)
5. Eli Langi (BSHS)
6. Joey Grey (TGS)
7. Hugo Hart (NC)
8. Roman Siulepa (BSHS)
9. Tom Goldie (TSS)
11. Tai Taka (BBC)
12. Frank Howarth (BBC)
13. Kilarney Lavender (TSS)
14. Nick Conway (NC)
15. Jacob Johnson (NC)

16. Charlie Hollyman (GT)
17. Blaze Moana (TSS)
18. Oscar Donovan (BBC)
19. Trent Picot (BSHS)
20. Oliver Nasser (GT)
21. Sam Watson (NC)
22. Max Blanch (ACGS)
23. Amaziah Murgha (IGS)
Agree with you mostly but I would have Tyson Walker over Illy Baravilala and Bennett Armistead over his teammate

Sofit

Herbert Moran (7)
Just so you know, Barker is not the best rugby school in NSW, by a fair bit. Barker is in Sydney's CAS competition and were the winners of that competition in 2022 and 2024 (in recent years), while the team that came last in Sydney's AAGPS this year (Riverview) beat the top CAS team Barker earlier in the season. That goes to show that Barker is at least about 6 teams (the whole AAGPS) behind being the best schoolboy team in NSW. The best team in 2024 from NSW would be Shore or St Augustine's, which both schools beat Joeys this year (Nudgee is the QLD equivalent to Joeys from Sydney, just likely not to the same level - St Augustine's beat shore by 4 points in a friendly during the school holidays, however Shore took it as a friendly when they were up by 10 odd at one point and put on a team that was more than half of 2nds players as reserves, while St Augustine's left their starting team on to try and make a comeback, which they did -
). The last time Barker beat a Sydney AAGPS school was Joeys in 2021. I think in 2022 Barker beat Nudgee, but in 2023 and 2024 Nudgee beat Barker. Also, at the start of the season Shore beat TSS 50-0 at Southport. Only if there was a competition were the AAGPS winner plays the CAS winner, then the winner of that game goes on to play the winner of QLD GPS.

Barker is for sure the top team there if you spread it across the the last few years, Shore had one good season. Nudgee also saw off Kings comfortably each time they played on Ross and the top rugby schools who visited from New Zealand and England.

Joey's aren't a match for Nudgee these days and the Joey's Riverview day really second class as a spectacle versus a Premiership decider on Ross or a Nudgee Terrace match on Ross.

Shore looks like an AFL ground with its new cricket stlye stand set way back from the field and Joeys really need to invest in a better stand. It reminds me of the old stand at Tennyson and its completely past its use by date. The other side is also just standing ground and no stands on any other side of the field.