• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

Quick_Tap_Tony

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Now lets get to business, it appears that there is lots of speculation around both the IGS vs Churchie game and the BBC vs GT game. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks. It appears GT 10 Sam McGahan will not be returning this week, unless my sources are incorrect. This could be dangerous for Terrace but who knows. Games at Tennyson always go down to the wire. Now the real chat IGS vs Churchie, this game is going to be wild. Two underrated teams going be a great battle. Now @Quick_Tap_Tony I'm aware that you don't make judgements of games before team lists are out. But could you please make an exception for me here, being a schoolboy yourself, I want to hear what all the young lads are saying about these two games.
IGS v ACGS: It will be an enthralling game. Two teams who still have a lot to prove going at it. Arguably the two most electric offenses in the comp going at it. I have IGS if Pritchard is out however if he is back Churchie will win. Either way it will be narrow.

GT v BBC: With it being old boys day for GT a large turn out is expected. GT have three must win games so they will go out hard however BBC have an opportunity to take out the comp so dare I say they will go out harder however if GT is able to keep possession of the ball and match energy it will be a close game. No prediction as of yet.

BRING BACK THE DAYS

Frank Row (1)
As the season comes the end half, it brings us to simple bring our mind back to the start of season and think about the options each school offer with there rugby programs.

1. Nudgee: With there school/fields found in Boondall, it does allow them an easier commute on game day and trainings. However one is left to think with all of the borders and students having a good old time after school, before school what does it do to its fields. But of course they go all out, painting the try area in blue. The food that is served, is it worth it? Even with the cotton candy and snow cones being quite expensive there are shops right down the road.

2. Toowoomba: What a long trek for most rugby players in the GPS competition, with the cold temperatures and the strong winds that come, it makes kicking in the games a challenge. However one is left to think, how often do they verse downlands college and has it help them in this current season.

3. Gregory Terrace: Tennyson. Although the fields are away from the city central school, it doesn't disappoint. The main stadium on internationals oval towers over the top. This stadium allows the games to have an audience to support there teams, making rugby a truly inclusive sport. Now with the food that this school offers, being away from any fast food chains, the famous burgers that are cooked up every Saturday have made there impression.

4. TSS: A trek it can be with the traffic sometimes playing a massive threat. However with the view of a beautiful river, it makes rugby games for younger players enjoyable for parents. The first round of this year, the day before game day there was some flooding present making it a muddy pitch. Of course that didn't stop anyone, in fact increasing the chances of having that dream try of sliding into the mud.

5. BBC: Being in Toowong, it has is space. The fields are painted green before each game, making them the grass look fresh and perfect. However to bring this point back, with borders, how often are there fields used/trashed.

6. State high: We all know it doesn't have the same amount of fields as other schools, and they might not be as green as some but it has it positives. Being in Carina, it makes it very easy to drive to for most GPS places (not including Toowoomba, TSS), making it a central location for games. But due to its lack of fields most games against State high are at other schools

7. Churchie: Found in East Brisbane, it has been around for a while. Being an older school, its main grandstand is not as flash as others (GT) but it still houses many supporters on game day. It has space for sure, with cadets happening sometimes early on Saturday mornings.

8. Ipswich grammer school: Found in Wulkuraka, is very popular to the public, many events happen here like city districts and more. The fields are surrounded by many trees which really brings the nature event to rugby. With good weather and rain the fields can look extremely nice and green. With there tennis courts present there.

9. Brisbane boys grammar: Found in Northgate, it has a lot fields present. With the main field being present when you first drive in or walk in. It has it a lovely grandstand for supporters. Being the main field, it has been known to have nice fields being used for cricket as well

To Summarise, Each school has it benefits some more than others but they all keep the great competition of GPS rugby alive, and they will keep doing it

Ankle_tap_Albo

Peter Burge (5)
As the season comes the end half, it brings us to simple bring our mind back to the start of season and think about the options each school offer with there rugby programs.

1. Nudgee: With there school/fields found in Boondall, it does allow them an easier commute on game day and trainings. However one is left to think with all of the borders and students having a good old time after school, before school what does it do to its fields. But of course they go all out, painting the try area in blue. The food that is served, is it worth it? Even with the cotton candy and snow cones being quite expensive there are shops right down the road.

2. Toowoomba: What a long trek for most rugby players in the GPS competition, with the cold temperatures and the strong winds that come, it makes kicking in the games a challenge. However one is left to think, how often do they verse downlands college and has it help them in this current season.

3. Gregory Terrace: Tennyson. Although the fields are away from the city central school, it doesn't disappoint. The main stadium on internationals oval towers over the top. This stadium allows the games to have an audience to support there teams, making rugby a truly inclusive sport. Now with the food that this school offers, being away from any fast food chains, the famous burgers that are cooked up every Saturday have made there impression.

4. TSS: A trek it can be with the traffic sometimes playing a massive threat. However with the view of a beautiful river, it makes rugby games for younger players enjoyable for parents. The first round of this year, the day before game day there was some flooding present making it a muddy pitch. Of course that didn't stop anyone, in fact increasing the chances of having that dream try of sliding into the mud.

5. BBC: Being in Toowong, it has is space. The fields are painted green before each game, making them the grass look fresh and perfect. However to bring this point back, with borders, how often are there fields used/trashed.

6. State high: We all know it doesn't have the same amount of fields as other schools, and they might not be as green as some but it has it positives. Being in Carina, it makes it very easy to drive to for most GPS places (not including Toowoomba, TSS), making it a central location for games. But due to its lack of fields most games against State high are at other schools

7. Churchie: Found in East Brisbane, it has been around for a while. Being an older school, its main grandstand is not as flash as others (GT) but it still houses many supporters on game day. It has space for sure, with cadets happening sometimes early on Saturday mornings.

8. Ipswich grammer school: Found in Wulkuraka, is very popular to the public, many events happen here like city districts and more. The fields are surrounded by many trees which really brings the nature event to rugby. With good weather and rain the fields can look extremely nice and green. With there tennis courts present there.

9. Brisbane boys grammar: Found in Northgate, it has a lot fields present. With the main field being present when you first drive in or walk in. It has it a lovely grandstand for supporters. Being the main field, it has been known to have nice fields being used for cricket as well

To Summarise, Each school has it benefits some more than others but they all keep the great competition of GPS rugby alive, and they will keep doing it
I really appreciate this mate. I love the detail you went into. Keep it up.

ATA

TheRugbyCyclist

Alfred Walker (16)
Yes I noticed when I switched between a match at Churchie and Tennyson on the live feed that the Churchie field was noticeably greener and more lush than the Tennyson oval. Wasn’t sure if it was the camera work or the actual field but it really needs some work there as it looks like what the Nudgee flats looked like before they did the big upgrade a couple of years ago

State high have had a habit the last few years of knocking Nudgee off on Ross Oval and each time it cost Nudgee the Premiership. They are a tough proposition but Nudgee still have TGS and BBC to go still and these will be difficult games.

I’m hoping it all comes down to the last match as I believe this will be the blue ribbon rugby event in Australia for 2024 as nothing else will come close to this. The Reds and Wallabies of course aren’t offering any special moments presently and local club rugby is suburban at best. Shore v Joeys in Sydney as well as the Shore v Riverview could mount a credible argument that those two matches were the two top matches of the year. The Shore grounds are magnificent but it looks a little “new school” with its modern, set back, AFL style grand stand, and it’s not surrounded by the school buildings which I always find doesn’t hold the same atmosphere as when it’s held inside the grand old buildings reflecting the old school classical origins of rugby. Sport and academics should never be separated, they are both equally integral to a lad’s education, resilience of course being the most important ingredient to a successful life both in business, career, family and mental and physical wellbeing when one leaves the school gates. Let’s see how it plays out, but for me, the best matches I’ve ever witnessed were when Grammar defeated Nudgee on Ross in the last game of the season to give Grammar a much deserved Premiership, as well as the final game v TSS when Josh Flook managed to ground the ball to give Nudgee the win just before the bell. The Paul McLean kick from the side line after the bell against Grammar in 73’ was also apparently a classic but well before my time.

The Rugby Empire

Plenty to go still this season and BBC, State High and Nudgee all with a great chance.

- Rome ne fut pas faite toute en un jour (Rome was not built in a day).

- 44 Premierships were not built in a day.
Love This take @Sofit. I agree Here, playing at Ross always gave me a sense of pride and accomplishment back in my day, playing at the exact place I spend 5 days a week just always gave me a different sense of pride than club footy. I feel if BSHS could play a a game at their Southbank campi (singular word for campus), they could have much better support with their games, as the support their always seems to be a level up. Regardless, I'm sure the round 9 crowd will be nothing short of record breaking if both teams are undefeated.

jackal_it_julie

Bob McCowan (2)
Good Evening all,

Just curious to know if the GPS would consider including an additional lolly to the mix so to speak, in regard to future expansion. Would love to hear what colleges other than downlands would make the cut? Personally after spectating numerous AIC games, Marist College Ashgrove and St Laurence's College South Brisbane seem to display the most talent across the board. However i have heard talks that Ormiston college out east in Sheldon was ranked one of the best Rugby schools in the state a few years ago. Needless to say an additional team would spice up the bye round.
Curious to see what you all think?

Cheers,

JIJ

TheRugbyCyclist

Alfred Walker (16)
please explain the term "lego round"
We call bye round "lego round" as back in my day the coach would make us do Lego sets during recovery for 1's and 2's as well as during bye round for team bonding. I still remember finishing the police set with Steve "Stiggy" Batia. Was almost as good of an accomplishment as his 33 tries within his time playing at GPS 1st XV level, and his 19 tries in our '97 season. Not sure why Tabuai-Fidow is believed to hold this record.

Ankle_tap_Albo

Peter Burge (5)
Good Evening all,

Just curious to know if the GPS would consider including an additional lolly to the mix so to speak, in regard to future expansion. Would love to hear what colleges other than downlands would make the cut? Personally after spectating numerous AIC games, Marist College Ashgrove and St Laurence's College South Brisbane seem to display the most talent across the board. However i have heard talks that Ormiston college out east in Sheldon was ranked one of the best Rugby schools in the state a few years ago. Needless to say an additional team would spice up the bye round.

Cheers,

JIJ
Good evening JIJ,

Welcome to this amazing forum. Hope you can make more contributions and insights like the one above.

ATA

TheRugbyCyclist

Alfred Walker (16)
Good Evening all,

Cheers,

JIJ
IMO highest rugby union schools who would have a shot at GPS are

1. Marist - Best Depth and largest program of any school outside GPS I know
2. Ormiston College
3. Iona College
4. Sunshine Coast Grammar

malcoms mauls

Bob McCowan (2)

2. Ormiston College
3. Iona College
I also believe Padua could be up there in this list, finishing at the top of the table for the 2024 AIC season, defeating some big names such as Marist and Iona. They have some lovely facilities out near Nudgee and I am keen to see what they can do in the 2025 season.

MM

Ankle_tap_Albo

Peter Burge (5)
I also believe Padua could be up there in this list, finishing at the top of the table for the 2024 AIC season, defeating some big names such as Marist and Iona. They have some lovely facilities out near Nudgee and I am keen to see what they can do in the 2025 season.

MM
Padua also defeated Laurie's in what was the grand final in the last round. The boys held their nerve against SLC who won 4 consecutive AIC premierships.

ATA

jackal_it_julie

Bob McCowan (2)

2. Ormiston College
3. Iona College
Evening,

3 Questions:

1. Just wondering what the IMO category is or if they were the organization that ranked these schools?
2. can you elaborate on Ormiston college as I am yet to spectate nor hear any "household' names around town?
3. I believe BBC are headhunters in and around the areas of Sunshine Coast. Do you believe with the inclusion of Sunshine Coast Grammar (a courageous school (coming from a former Currumundi state school alumni)) they would have stronger numbers given the choice to remain on home soil. I am also intrigued to see the impact the BBC'ians would face if scholarships cease to come knocking on their door.

Ankle_tap_Albo

Peter Burge (5)
Evening,

3 Questions:

1. Just wondering what the IMO category is or if they were the organization that ranked these schools?
2. can you elaborate on Ormiston college as I am yet to spectate nor hear any "household' names around town?
3. I believe BBC are headhunters in and around the areas of Sunshine Coast. Do you believe with the inclusion of Sunshine Coast Grammar (a courageous school (coming from a former Currumundi state school alumni)) they would have stronger numbers given the choice to remain on home soil. I am also intrigued to see the impact the BBC'ians would face if scholarships cease to come knocking on their door.
BBC scout heavily up the sunshine coast but also down in NSW. 'The Pitbull' reigns from Coffs Habour and attends BBC. He is one of the biggest boys in the GPS.

ATA

TheRugbyCyclist

Alfred Walker (16)
Evening,

3 Questions:

IMO just means in my opinion mate. These were just the SEQ schools I think have strong rugby programs that fit in the GPS
Ormiston college (near clevland ferry) is a school that plays in TAS and has boasted a strong rugby program in its history, competing at independent school cups and commonly placing highly.
In regards to SCGS, they have a strong rugby program but it’s likely they better players get poached to Brisbane as there is no QRU teams up that north.

TheRugbyCyclist

Alfred Walker (16)
We call bye round "lego round" as back in my day the coach would make us do Lego sets during recovery for 1's and 2's as well as during bye round for team bonding. I still remember finishing the police set with Steve "Stiggy" Batia. Was almost as good of an accomplishment as his 33 tries within his time playing at GPS 1st XV level, and his 19 tries in our '97 season. Not sure why Tabuai-Fidow is believed to hold this record.
Good Morning Forum, hope everyone slept wonderfully and dreamt to the stars.

Here is a video for reference (if you look out to the 5 jersey you may spot me!!)