• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

RazorRamon

Stan Wickham (3)
Just watched the full game between ACGS vs GT. Thought the young Churchie lads looked good in patches but looked a little clunky for mine.
I have been told first choice representative playmaker Fletcher Austin is still coming back from injury which could have had a part to play in that.

Just like the form guide suggested Treyvon Pritchard looked dangerous and looks to have resolved the kicking issues he was having last week but the Churchie staff will be sweating on his fitness for round 2 as he looks to have copped a shoulder injury late in the game.
Young Solofa again showed why he is one of the best running forwards in the comp posing a threat in close and in the wider channels.

If there was one area Churchie controlled for the majority of the match I thought it was Churchie’s set piece which was very dominant.
Sam Williams was very good in the air but I also thought their 15 year old TH man mountain Sio Kite was very good at scrum time. I am surprised a man of his size can get as low as he can but what would I know? The Churchie lads not being rewarded at all for their dominance in this area by the ref was mind boggling.

With this in mind, can someone at Churchie please tell me what is happening with young Devin Tauakipulu, who appears to have totally fallen off the map at Churchie? He was one of the brightest loosehead prospects in the state prior to this year and I have’nt sighted him at all during the trials this year. He would add another dimension to the Churchie scrum alongside the current regulars of Solofa and Kite IMO.

The Churchie boys will need to on their game this week against GT if they want another victory prior to a tough month of footy where they come up against all of the competition heavyweights. GT are very capable of beating the Vikings if they are even slightly off their games.

Last edited:

RazorRamon

Stan Wickham (3)
Did anyone watch the Churchie vs Grammar game this weekend? The score paints the picture that Grammar aren't going to embarrass themselves this year with a closer score then predicted. Will we see Grammar get a win on the board and jump off the wooden spoon streak?
The Grammar 10 Zac Reader was very very good. Great game management and an even better boot. I also thought the BGS 12 Harper Enasio is elite.

If they can pick up a front rower to bolster their stocks, a year of competition and development will do this squad wonders.

While I’m not sure they’ll win a game this year I do feel like they have definitely turned the corner and certainly improved building towards getting results in the next few years. The GPS competition needs a competitive BGS outfit and as a neutral it was good to see them not just having a crack but also being right in the mix for a good portion of that game before Churchie took it away late. I’ll definitely be willing the BGS boys get a victory this year.

The Grammar 10 Zac Reader was very very good. Great game management and an even better boot. I also thought the BGS 12 Harper Enasio is elite.

If they can pick up a front rower to bolster their stocks, a year of competition and development will do this squad wonders.

While I’m not sure they’ll win a game this year I do feel like they have definitely turned the corner and certainly improved building towards getting results in the next few years. The GPS competition needs a competitive BGS outfit and as a neutral it was good to see them not just having a crack but also being right in the mix for a good portion of that game before Churchie took it away late. I’ll definitely be willing the BGS boys get a victory this year.
They'll be lucky to even pass the 20 in round 5 against my boys in gold and blue.
Prem loading..

Cheesyqdingle

Frank Nicholson (4)
They'll be lucky to even pass the 20 in round 5 against my boys in gold and blue.
Prem loading..
Going to be pretty hard now for TGS to win the prem with already dropping a game can't say I wouldn't be going around saying "Prem loading.." when your chances are left at the fate of other teams results

Last edited:

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just watched the full game between ACGS vs GT. Thought the young Churchie lads looked good in patches but looked a little clunky for mine.
I have been told first choice representative playmaker Fletcher Austin is still coming back from injury which could have had a part to play in that.

Just like the form guide suggested Treyvon Pritchard looked dangerous and looks to have resolved the kicking issues he was having last week but the Churchie staff will be sweating on his fitness for round 2 as he looks to have copped a shoulder injury late in the game.
Young Solofa again showed why he is one of the best running forwards in the comp posing a threat in close and in the wider channels.

If there was one area Churchie controlled for the majority of the match I thought it was Churchie’s set piece which was very dominant.
Sam Williams was very good in the air but I also thought their 15 year old TH man mountain Sio Kite was very good at scrum time. I am surprised a man of his size can get as low as he can but what would I know? The Churchie lads not being rewarded at all for their dominance in this area by the ref was mind boggling.

With this in mind, can someone at Churchie please tell me what is happening with young Devin Tauakipulu, who appears to have totally fallen off the map at Churchie? He was one of the brightest loosehead prospects in the state prior to this year and I have’nt sighted him at all during the trials this year. He would add another dimension to the Churchie scrum alongside the current regulars of Solofa and Kite IMO.

The Churchie boys will need to on their game this week against GT if they want another victory prior to a tough month of footy where they come up against all of the competition heavyweights. GT are very capable of beating the Vikings if they are even slightly off their games.
Hey RR,

Have to agree with your assessment mate.

Hats off to Grammar though as they really matched it with Churchie in most facets of the game except for the scrum. But like you said, the referee wasn't rewarding Churchie for their scrum dominance which was baffling and he seemed to pull it up every time Churchie had scrum ascendency?

Churchie's general kicking in play needs some attention as they wont get away with it against teams who counter-attack well but the return of F Austin (whenever that is) as you mentioned should help in that area. From what I saw, I thought Churchie bombed quite a few points scoring opportunities throughout the match and Grammar could of easily conceded more than 50+ plus points. The other concerning factor for Churchie was their goal line defence as Grammar managed to score a couple of tries a few metres from the line.

Churchie's lineout worked a treat with H Solofa hitting his targets very well and I was surprised Churchie did not kick for the sidelines more often as Grammar's lineout was struggling in comparison. I agree that Solofa's power running and footwork has been great to watch and he scored another cracker try in front of the Churchie home crowd which was buzzing. T Pritchard looked dangerous every time he touched the ball but I feel he is trying to do too much too early in the game and he'd be better off conserving energy and strike when least expected. Hopefully his injury is not too bad as Churchie desperately need him available for the next 7 weeks for Churchie to mount any serious challenge as premiership contenders.

I also agree big S Kite is starting to finds his feet and he and Solofa seem to be working well in a pod together. For a big young guy, Kite is getting around the field well and if he can anchor and hold his side of the Churchie scrum up against the likes of Nudgee, TSS, BBS, State High etc, Churchie can upset the mentioned teams as I've previously mentioned. Churchie are by no means a big team, but what they lack in size, they have fitness and honest hard-working players in the players named above plus the likes of returning players J Crothers, captain M Blanch, C Godfrey, G Ward and promising young guns in S Williams & T Wood and I predict Churchie to cause a couple of upsets.

RazorRamon

Stan Wickham (3)
Predictions for this round?

I think BSHS vs BBC will be a cracker of a game, heard rumours of a 5k + turnout.
Worthy crowd for 2 worthy teams capable of winning the 2024 championship.

I’m gonna put my balls on the line and make my predictions for round 2. Can I just say I don’t mean any disrespect to any school when I make these predictions, I was a bit sad to see one of my posts on the GT hype video insinuating disrespect to their team. Am just an avid follower of GPS rugby no malice intended, have massive respect for every single lad in the competition.

Right, with that out of the way here are my predictions:

TGS vs IGS - TGS by 15+ (Back on home ground and someone has to pay for their round 1 pain, unfortunately this comes in the form of Ipswich.)

GT vs ACGS - ACGS by 10 (GT will ask plenty of questions especially out wide and in broken play, but the Churchie forwards will suffocate their opposition and win a tough one out at Tennyson.)

NC vs TSS - TSS by 15+ (Gold Coast bomb squad will announce their premiership credentials with a statement win at one of the hardest fields to earn a victory in GPS footy.)

BBC vs BSHS - BBC by 14 (Home ground advantage, solid preseason form and a forward unit led by the likes of battering ram Kiama Jione that won’t let Roman rome free like he did in round 1 will take the chocolates in what will be an absolute belter. Match ups galore right across the field to watch aside from the battle of the 8’s in this one a la Picot vs O’Neil at 7, Howarth vs Latu @ 12 plus a host of other battles at 10,9,15. It will be interesting to see how the State High set piece aims up against one of the most ruthless packs in the competition)

BGS - Bye

Last edited:

GPS_scout2024

Stan Wickham (3)
Worthy crowd for 2 worthy teams capable of winning the 2024 championship.

I’m gonna put my balls on the line and make my predictions for round 2. Can I just say I don’t mean any disrespect to any school when I make these predictions, I was a bit sad to see one of my posts on the GT hype video insinuating disrespect to their team. Am just an avid follower of GPS rugby no malice intended, have massive respect for every single lad in the competition.

Right, with that out of the way here are my predictions:

TGS vs IGS - TGS by 15+ (Back on home ground and someone has to pay for their round 1 pain, unfortunately this comes in the form of Ipswich.)

GT vs ACGS - ACGS by 10 (GT will ask plenty of questions especially out wide and in broken play, but the Churchie forwards will suffocate their opposition and win a tough one out at Tennyson.)

NC vs TSS - TSS by 15+ (Gold Coast bomb squad will announce their premiership credentials with a statement win at one of the hardest fields to earn a victory in GPS footy.)

BBC vs BSHS - BBC by 14 (Home ground advantage, solid preseason form and a forward unit led by the likes of battering ram Kiama Jione that won’t let Roman rome free like he did in round 1 will take the chocolates in what will be an absolute belter. Match ups galore right across the field to watch aside from the battle of the 8’s in this one a la Picot vs O’Neil at 7, Howarth vs Latu @ 12 plus a host of other battles at 10,9,15. It will be interesting to see how the State High set piece aims up against one of the most ruthless packs in the competition)

BGS - Bye
Hey Razor,

Great predictions for round 2, your opinions are valid.

However, I have to say that I believe BSHS may scrape a win by 5 or less over the Green, White and Black. Although it is very had to make a prediction as it could swing both ways. BBC may win small 1v1 battles regarding the matchups, however after watching BSHS play against TGS it is safe to say that State high has one of the strongest pack mentalities i have seen in the GPS comp in over 10 years. They play as one, although Roman stole the show last round. BBC however have a huge advantage being a round 1 opener for them at home, i think its safe to say that it will come down to prep and showing up come game day. Whoever takes the win in this game in my opinion are clear favourites for the title as they are two powerhouse teams.

Now to my Predictions:

TGS- 20+

ACGS- 5+

TSS- 10+

BSHS- 5 or less

Keen for another huge round :)

Hey Razor,

Great predictions for round 2, your opinions are valid.

However, I have to say that I believe BSHS may scrape a win by 5 or less over the Green, White and Black. Although it is very had to make a prediction as it could swing both ways. BBC may win small 1v1 battles regarding the matchups, however after watching BSHS play against TGS it is safe to say that State high has one of the strongest pack mentalities i have seen in the GPS comp in over 10 years. They play as one, although Roman stole the show last round. BBC however have a huge advantage being a round 1 opener for them at home, i think its safe to say that it will come down to prep and showing up come game day. Whoever takes the win in this game in my opinion are clear favourites for the title as they are two powerhouse teams.

Now to my Predictions:

TGS- 20+

ACGS- 5+

TSS- 10+

BSHS- 5 or less

Keen for another huge round :)
TGS 20+ that’s music to my ears! Fuel the tractors and milk the wives it’s time to head down the range and collect our trophy.

IppyRanger

Frank Row (1)
If TGS go with the same lineup this week it will be a tight encounter against IGS. A couple of TGS forwards showed a lack of fitness and rugby IQ. They have depth in the 16As and 2nds. So should be able to pick boys with better rugby IQ.