• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QF1 2012 - Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Just banging on how many times we've heard the Reds fans refer to the Sharks game and how they were up 17-0 and then only lost because of injuries and a yellow card..

Considering the Reds are playing the Sharks in the finals next week you don't think this is actually relevant though?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Talk on the radio this morning about the Quade tackle. Mark McBain seemed to think he will miss a game. If he does I hope they just stick Ben Lucas at 10 and keep the rest of the back line the same. I think Harris has proved 12 is his best spot and he shouldn't play 10.
Beau and Gill in the backrow would be good too but Shatz does get through a mountain of work.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Schatz can't be left-out anymore. Does too much good work and it will be needed vs the Sharks backrow. I'm becoming a bigger fan of his and less of Higgers with every game. Totally contrasting styles but the Reds don't need a seagull with the backline they have.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
You are right in that we do need to worry the Sharks. Should we overcome them the Cheifs will have their hands full with the Reds.

Interesting question, and I don't know if this has already been addressed, but....

Hypothetically, if the Reds beat the Sharks and the Crusaders beat the Bulls, do the Reds then face the Chiefs or the Stormers?

As I read it, the Chiefs will play the highest ranked winner of the first week's games. I realise the winner of each conference gets a guaranteed home final and hence the Reds are playing at home. However, does this mean that they are ranked above the Crusaders who have 3 more competition points, once the second week of finals rolls around?

Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Reds finished 3rd and Crusaders finished 4th so the Reds are the higher ranked team.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Reds finished 3rd and Crusaders finished 4th so the Reds are the higher ranked team.

They didn't finish 3rd though, they finished 6th. But were guaranteed a home final as winner of the Australian conference.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think people in Australia underestimate what Higgers brings to the Reds. He is a tough confrontational style player, like Adam Thompson for the Highlanders and All Blacks. While he does spend some time in the backline he is also very effective at it. He seems to be the go to guy for the Reds at the lineout and when he hits guys in defence they know they have been hit. He will be missed greatly by the Reds next year and hopefully Quirk can stand up a fill his shoes to some degree.
I wasn't a big fan of his early in his career but I think he is the best 6 in the country at the moment.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
They didn't finish 3rd though, they finished 6th. But were guaranteed a home final as winner of the Australian conference.

No, they were higher ranked as far as I understand. The first three spots in the table will always be the three conference leaders, in points order. From there it's points order.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While they didn't have the 3 best points in the comp they finished 3rd based on the finals format that was agreed on by all of the Unions involved.

FINALS FORMAT

The Super Rugby finals is an expanded format that will feature six teams rather than previous four-team format used in Super 14.
The six teams will comprise the Conference winners and the next three teams (referred to as "Wildcard" Teams) with the highest total number of points, regardless of the Conference they are from.
With each Conference winner qualifying Australia, South Africa and New Zealand will each be guaranteed at least one team participating in the finals.
Week

Round

Match

Home Team

Away Team
1 Qualifier
A
Rank 4 Rank 5
1 Qualifier
B
Rank 3 Rank 6
2 Semi-final
C
Rank 2 Winner of match A or B
with highest play-off ranking
2 Semi-final
D
Rank 1 Other winner from match A or B
3 Final
E
Winner of match C or D
with highest play-off ranking Other winner from match C or D
Determining Winners of Playoff Matches - if the teams are tied at fulltime in any Playoff Match then the following will apply until a winner is found:
Extra Time - the procedure will be:
  • After a five minute rest period, the extra time is played in two 10 minute periods with a two minute halftime;
  • Before the extra time begins, the match referee will do a coin toss with the two captains one minute before the new kick-off. The winner of the coin toss decides if his team wants to kick-off or if his team wants to choose the side of the pitch it wants to play on for the first 10 minute period;
  • For the second 10 minute period, the teams change sides and the team that did not kick off in the first period does so;
  • Coaches are not permitted on the field during the rest period or halftime.
Sudden Death - if the match is still drawn at the end of extra time, the procedure will be:
  • An up to 10 minute sudden death period is played after another five minute rest period;
  • The first team to score (by a penalty, drop-goal or try) will be the winner;
  • As for extra time, one minute before sudden death begins, the match referee will do a coin toss to choose which team kicks-off and on which side of the pitch.
http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/about-super-rugby/

T

TOCC

Also Steyn won't be playing a part in the finals... and so he shouldn't be either

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Also Steyn won't be playing a part in the finals. and so he shouldn't be either
I agree with you in principle here TOCC and SANZAR had to find a way to close the loophole that allowed Schalk Brits to play for the Stormers as a one off in the finals last year.

But just as an FYI, the Sharks were not trying to exploit that loophole this time and Steyn has signed a 3 year contract with them.

So I agree that their needs to be a cut-off to avoid teams signing players to boost their team in the finals and it is unfortunate for the Sharks that Steyn was signed after this cut-off date, but no need to get on your high horse for this one.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Vickerman was in the same situation with the Tah's last year. He played for them but couldn't play in the finals.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Interesting question, and I don't know if this has already been addressed, but..

Hypothetically, if the Reds beat the Sharks and the Crusaders beat the Bulls, do the Reds then face the Chiefs or the Stormers?

As I read it, the Chiefs will play the highest ranked winner of the first week's games. I realise the winner of each conference gets a guaranteed home final and hence the Reds are playing at home. However, does this mean that they are ranked above the Crusaders who have 3 more competition points, once the second week of finals rolls around?

Has this been confirmed anywhere?
The Stormers wont get the Reds if the Reds win this weekend. We'll get the Saders in stead.
Saders and Reds win = semis Stormers vs Saders & Chiefs vs Reds.
Saders and Sharks win = semis Stormers vs Sharks & Chiefs vs Saders
Bulls and Reds win = semis Stormers vs Bulls & Chiefs vs Reds
Bulls and Sharks win = Stormers vs Sharks & Chiefs vs Bulls.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sharks in great form and have a very good chance anyway. Their forwards will break the Reds this weekend.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sharks in great form and have a very good chance anyway. Their forwards will break the Reds this weekend.
If Daley starts the Sharks will win. Also Simmons seemed to favour his leg on Saturday and we're in trouble if he's out.

T

TOCC

weren't they losing for the first 40min against the Cheetahs?.... Losing Lambie is a big loss as well

Status
Not open for further replies.