• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QF1 2012 - Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
very happy for the Reds and a nice fillup for the bank account.

All Australian rugby supporters now need to jump on the Reds bandwagon to get them all the way to back to back titles.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Even without Cooper the Reds should win. Beat the Chiefs back when they were playing well with Lucas at 10 and the rest of the side is now performing a lot closer to what we saw last year.

Chiefs finishing second is good for the Reds as well. No trip to SA before the final, and the Crusaders should be up for knocking the Stormers out again. It's all coming together nicely:cool:

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Come on Aussie, Come on,
Come on Aussie, Come on,
Come on Aussie, Come on.

Go the Reds.

Suggest you drop into Target for a pair of Red jocks Hugh! When in your possession, let me know, and I shall telepathically "bless" them, and load them with your own "luckiness"!! Remember that they will only work for you with Reds and Wobs matches.

To assist the Tahs, you may need more drastic action like "culling" personnel at all levels!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Reds are a massive chance to win this game. They've got their rock stars back at the right moment and are playing some of the best footy in the comp right now. They could go all the way.

vismyr

Peter Burge (5)
At home, the Reds must be favoured to beat the Sharks, who have been pretty average all year. Yes, they beat the Reds in Rnd 4 at home, but have also been so inconsistent all year -- beating the Stormers in Rnd 14 but then losing to the lowly Lions the following week, and the only kiwi teams they had to face were the Blues (who were playing awful rugby at the time) and the Highlanders at home. Like all the SA teams, they travel poorly and I expect them heading home defeated while the Reds will continue onto Waikato. But unfortunately for you Reds fans, that'll be were they are dethroned:)

In the other semi, the Crusaders at home should have no problem beating up on the Bulls. It'll be easy pickings for the Seven time champions, especially with Read coming back into the team.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
The Sharks are a rapidly improving side with a superior tight 5 to the Reds.

I think it'll be very close, especially if Quade Cooper gets suspended.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
At home, the Reds must be favoured to beat the Sharks, who have been pretty average all year. Yes, they beat the Reds in Rnd 4 at home, but have also been so inconsistent all year -- beating the Stormers in Rnd 14 but then losing to the lowly Lions the following week, and the only kiwi teams they had to face were the Blues (who were playing awful rugby at the time) and the Highlanders at home. Like all the SA teams, they travel poorly and I expect them heading home defeated while the Reds will continue onto Waikato. But unfortunately for you Reds fans, that'll be were they are dethroned:)

In the other semi, the Crusaders at home should have no problem beating up on the Bulls. It'll be easy pickings for the Seven time champions, especially with Read coming back into the team.

How did the Sharks manage to avoid playing three other Kiwi teams? I'm pretty sure they would have just missed one like everybody else. Also Reds have the Chiefs number big time, have won the last couple of visits to Hamilton & spanked them like no one else has this year. Chiefs also have a great history of choking, I expect that tradition to continue.

W

What2040

Suncorp a huge advantage for Reds - as TBH said reds are playing well - seem to be on ascendancy

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I have a solution for the "bleaters" like me addressing the unfairness the conference system.

As in, the Red finishing 6th yet getting the huge advantage of a home playoff for monetary reasons as well as getting to play the weaker Force, Rebels and Waratahs twice in a season.

If you finish 6th but are the top placed team in your conference, you cede a certain number of points to the team you are playing in your home play-off - say 10-12. If you finish 5th you cede say 8 points. If you finish 4th you cede say 4 points. If you genuinely reach 3rd and aren't bumped up - you cede no points.

TV is happy because it still gets the viewers. So in this situation, the Reds must win by 10 or more or they are knocked out. I'd say it would not affects attendance or the number of viewers.

I would support this regardless of the country because its fairer.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sharks also have to play without Francois Steyn who has been in good form. He didn't get back from France soon enough to play in the finals.

The game will still be tough though. Don't expect the blow out.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Even if he was allowed to play he'll be missing a few weeks for the tackle he did this morning. The Reds are on a roll and so are the Sharks. JP Pieterson is on fire. This is going to be a massive game. Probably the 2 form teams of the comp looking at recent results.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I have a solution for the "bleaters" like me addressing the unfairness the conference system.

As in, the Red finishing 6th yet getting the huge advantage of a home playoff for monetary reasons as well as getting to play the weaker Force, Rebels and Waratahs twice in a season.

If you finish 6th but are the top placed team in your conference, you cede a certain number of points to the team you are playing in your home play-off - say 10-12. If you finish 5th you cede say 8 points. If you finish 4th you cede say 4 points. If you genuinely reach 3rd and aren't bumped up - you cede no points.

TV is happy because it still gets the viewers. So in this situation, the Reds must win by 10 or more or they are knocked out. I'd say it would not affects attendance or the number of viewers.

Every year someone has a problem if there team misses out. These arguments can be twisted and turned to suit anyones team.

The fairest way i see to do it is decide ladder position on number of games won then use bonus points to separate sides. Reds would have finished 4th on equal wins with the Saders. Too claim they don't deserve a home final after winning 1 more than Bulls and Shorks is BS.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Every year someone has a problem if there team misses out. These arguments can be twisted and turned to suit anyones team.

The fairest way i see to do it is decide ladder position on number of games won then use bonus points to separate sides. Reds would have finished 4th on equal wins with the Saders. Too claim they don't deserve a home final after winning 1 more than Bulls and Shorks is BS.

I am not twisting anything. I'd apply it regardless of country.
Wrong. The Reds got 58 points. The Sharks and Bulls got 59 points. The Saders got 61 points. The Reds were 6th.
Okay. I'll stop now because I probably sound like a Kiwi with a "chup" on his shoulder.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

the problem isn't with the conference system. its with the bonus system. The Reds had 11 wins, equal with the Cru but only behind the Stormers and Chiefs. Don't blame the conference, blame the bonus points.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I am not twisting anything. I'd apply it regardless of country.
Wrong. The Reds got 58 points. The Sharks and Bulls got 59 points. The Saders got 61 points. The Reds were 6th.
Okay. I'll stop now because I probably sound like a Kiwi with a "chup" on his shoulder.

You did not read the second part of my post correctly. It puts forth an alternative way of dealing with the ladder.

Gee there are some sore Kiwis around here and the Fox comments. Shame you guys dropped the ball. After being the 'strongest' conference it must hurt that the Saffas got 3 sides in and you didn't:p

Status
Not open for further replies.