• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QF1 2012 - Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Shame you guys dropped the ball. After being the 'strongest' conference it must hurt that the Saffas got 3 sides in and you didn't:p

No, because the Saffas didn't need to rely on a leg-up to get a home play-off.:rolleyes:

I think the Reds deserve to be there. Don't get me wrong. Just not a home-semi based on the current format.

I think your observation that the bonus point points decide teams that are even with the number of wins the first consideration is a good one.

I would remove the (PC) bonus point for losing by six or less and keep the 4 try bonus point.

vismyr

Peter Burge (5)
How did the Sharks manage to avoid playing three other Kiwi teams? I'm pretty sure they would have just missed one like everybody else. Also Reds have the Chiefs number big time, have won the last couple of visits to Hamilton & spanked them like no one else has this year. Chiefs also have a great history of choking, I expect that tradition to continue.

The Reds beat a tired Chiefs who had one eye on the bye. This time, if the Reds can beat the Sharks, they'll have to play outside Australia, where the QLD'ers were an abysmal 1-3 this year -- and I expect that tradition to continue.

But anyway, they have to beat the Sharks first.

T

TOCC

No, because the Saffas didn't need to rely on a leg-up to get a home play-off.:rolleyes:

I think the Reds deserve to be there. Don't get me wrong. Just not a home-semi based on the current format.

I think your observation that the bonus point points decide teams that are even with the number of wins the first consideration is a good one.

I would remove the (PC) bonus point for losing by six or less and keep the 4 try bonus point.

quit your whinging, the Reds won more games then both the Bulls and Sharks, this is no anti-saffa conspiracy...

Just a fan having a whinge after a structure which has been in place for 24months suddenly didnt work in his teams favour

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
You did not read the second part of my post correctly. It puts forth an alternative way of dealing with the ladder.

Gee there are some sore Kiwis around here and the Fox comments. Shame you guys dropped the ball. After being the 'strongest' conference it must hurt that the Saffas got 3 sides in and you didn't:p

Not only did they get 3 sides in, but 'pole position' as well
Ah, but wait a minute, their conference includes the the Lions & Cheetahs , two 'ínferior' teams. So really the whole S15 system is so totally unfair to the NZ conference, because all their five teams are so superior:p

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The interesting aspect to the last time the Reds played the Sharks in week 4, the Reds were ahead 17 - 0, totally outplaying the Sharks. Then came the flyhalf injuries to Lucas & Harris, & Ioane's yellow card, and so the Reds lost 27-22.
So welcome to the Suncorp cauldron Sharks, 'cause its payback time.
It took us a while to recover from that game, but we're there now

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can't believe we made it to the finals & a home final at that, You little beauty.
it's a shame the Brumbies aren't in the finals also. Would have been nice to have two teams from every nation.

I think we're good enough to go all the way, don't want to look to far ahead but a semi final in Hamilton would be awesome, SBW v Quade.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
As in, the Red finishing 6th yet getting the huge advantage of a home playoff for monetary reasons
If the Reds agreed, will the other teams give them some money as this system is why each team gets the share it does. I think Fans are the only ones worried about the system as it stands, the teams want their slice of the money pie but will not say it in public and risk upsetting their supporters. Money is what allows the game to be played, and it is hard to play a sport without opponants, so just suck it up, and bookmark your comments for a few years as it is likely to be reversed in the future.

I guess other teams could have withdrawn from Super rugby if they really were upset at the rules that everyone plays by

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would prefer a .1BP for every try for the season, by the end of the year the most attacking team would get an advantage, but then arguments over field and playing conditions would be brought into play.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The comp would be more equal if the top of the conference doesn't automatically quallify but I doubt that will stop somewon from complaining about something else.

Reds need to go up tempo for this one. Try and wear the Sharks out through the fatigue factor. Could be tempting to start both Beau and Gill?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ah. go on then, whats you take on the events then qwerty?

Just banging on how many times we've heard the Reds fans refer to the Sharks game and how they were up 17-0 and then only lost because of injuries and a yellow card..

vismyr

Peter Burge (5)
As far as excuses go this one takes the cake! Credit where it's due mate, the Reds absolutely hammered the Chiefs in that game.

Like I said, the Reds need to beat the Sharks first, while the Chiefs have earned the week off -- so let's see who's making excuses in a fortnight, old mate.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Like I said, the Reds need to beat the Sharks first, while the Chiefs have earned the week off -- so let's see who's making excuses in a fortnight, old mate.
You are right in that we do need to worry the Sharks. Should we overcome them the Cheifs will have their hands full with the Reds.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Reds take 3rd, despite finishing behind the Crusaders and a way inferior points differential.

Unfair.:mad:

But I have been told this conference system is about the money.

If you recall the saders vs reds game you might note how 'unfair' Bryce's officiating appeared to the reds. It was the only game where the reds coach complained about the officiating afterwards.

If that result went the other way, the saders wouldn't even be in the finals!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Just banging on how many times we've heard the Reds fans refer to the Sharks game and how they were up 17-0 and then only lost because of injuries and a yellow card..

Shouldn't you be off planning your mad Monday instead of fishing in a reds thread?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The comp would be more equal if the top of the conference doesn't automatically quallify but I doubt that will stop somewon from complaining about something else.

Reds need to go up tempo for this one. Try and wear the Sharks out through the fatigue factor. Could be tempting to start both Beau and Gill?

Yep Beau and Gill would be my preference. They'd have to commit more to the breakdown as well with those 2 out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.