• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Pick your Wallaby team for EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

brokendown gunfighter said:
Lee Grant said:
Don't be surprised to see Rabbit back in Queensland one day Noddy.

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

not in a hurry I think Lee,back in june he signed a 2 year deal with the Force

Yeah this confused the hell out of me, unless he has changed his mind and is backing out.

That was his one mistake in my book: he and Pocock both. They had the chance to come home and did not want to. So they can stay away.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wow FOS! Don't speak for us. I'd take Pocock tomorrow if he wanted to come back. Hell, I'd even give the 4s someone for trade, hmmmm, maybe someone like Ione. He wants to go back. Have 'I'm I say. Just give us back our openside.

F

formeropenside

I know its tough, but Pocock knew what he was doing this time around: Croft basically was publicly saying here's my spot.

For those players that leave, they should know they will be closing a door. Yes, its not "professional sport" in one sense, but without pride and players who want to play for Qld we will never get anywhere.

P

PhucNgo

Can anyone explain to me how Sekope Kepu gets a gig on the EOYT and someone like Jerry Yanuyanutawa can't even get a S14 contract (I'm assuming he's eligilbe)?

Makes you wonder whether I was watching the same game as Ozzie Rob last Saturday when in 30+ degree heat after charging down a kick and sprinting!!! 20 metres to score, Jerry pops up a few minutes later to with another 30+ metre run, only to have an invisible hand deny him a try under the posts. All this on top of being part of a Sydney Uni front row that handed their opponents, including Kepu and Freier, their arses on a plate.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To paraphrase Tina Turner from Mad Max 3 - we don't need another loosehead!

Kepu is (allegedly) a tight head now.

M

Mainlander

Interesting article on how Kiwi Quade got/took the news.

MARK GEENTY said:
Kiwi Quade ready for Wallaby green and gold
By MARK GEENTY | Wednesday, 24 September 2008

He played his first game at age three in Tokoroa in heartland Waikato, and lived across the road from future All Black Richard Kahui who became his childhood idol. One of his coaches was the father of former Waikato and Ireland halfback Isaac Boss.

In short, Cooper was rugby-mad for the All Blacks, from the start.

Little wonder that his mind went a bit haywire when Robbie Deans suddenly called on Sunday night, confirming him in the Wallabies' 34-man squad to face the All Blacks in Hong Kong, then tour Italy, England, France and Wales.

It was surely a prank, as Cooper and some mates prepared for a catch-up dinner in Brisbane.

"I missed a call, then I got a text saying `please call back, it's Robbie'. I really freaked out, I was sitting with some mates and asked them `do you know this number', I thought it was just a joke," Cooper said.

"They were saying `call him back, call him back', and I said `nah I can't, I'm too nervous'. Eventually I ran outside and called him and had a bit of a shy `hi, it's, um, Quade Cooper, is this the right number? "He said, `yeah mate it's Robbie Deans. . .', I just freaked out and said `no way, you're joking'."

A fellow Kiwi Tasman-crosser, Dingo Deans spoke a bit of Ocker with Queensland Quade, and all was fair dinkum.

Time to break the news to his parents, three sisters and two brothers, and turn their Sunday night in Brisbane on its head. They'd only just got used to him wearing a Reds jersey instead of Waikato. And don't forget Nana in Kaikohe, in the far north.

"I was pretty amazed, so I got straight on the phone to my Mum and they all just went berserk, then the next call to my grandma back home," Cooper said.

"She's called me every day since, she's just over the moon and she can't believe it. "Cooper's dinner turned into a celebration, but the shock took time to wear off. He had no hesitation in describing it as the best day of his life.

"No one knew how to act and we were all saying `did that really happen?'. We went out and had a good feed then played some pokies, but all my luck was used up that day. My mates all got up a few hundred and I lost a bit." Two days on, and Cooper's dream became reality as he and fellow new caps James O'Connor, Sekope Kepu and David Pocock were paraded for the media in Sydney.

It wasn't that long ago, in 2003, when 15-year-old Cooper and his mum Ruhia packed up and shifted from Tokoroa's Forest View High School to Brisbane, a move he describes as the best he ever made.

He'd played in all the age-group rugby and league sides in Waikato, and quickly made his mark in Brisbane. He toured Britain as a five-eighth or fullback with the Australian Schoolboys in 2005, alongside now-Wallabies team-mates Pocock and Lachie Turner, and forced his way into the Reds' Super 14 side as a teenager.

"New Zealand's home, it's where I was brought up and I've got a lot of family and friends still there. I still love New Zealand but I've been living in Australia for nearly six years and I love it, and I'm really proud to be a Wallaby."

It hasn't been all plain sailing, notably That Game against the Chiefs last year when he dropped every ball that came his way, and became a YouTube highlights package.

But this year, Reds coach Phil Mooney hailed Cooper's increased mental toughness and pronounced him ready for the next level. The fancy footwork and slick passing formed a more consistent package in season 2008.

"When we played the Bulls we really ground them out and ran away with the game, the same against the Force, then ending the season against the Crusaders, they're the benchmark for any team and we were ahead against them for most of the game. I really felt that I'd matured from last season," Cooper said.

He thought he might be a few years away from a Wallabies tour, but he'll take it. With Matt Giteau and Berrick Barnes an established five-eighths combination he may have to wait for a test debut, but Cooper's prepared to be patient ? since it's all happened in a rush so far and he's only 20.

"It's an opportunity. We have the chance to further our rugby abilities and get better, learn a lot from guys like George Smith, Lote Tuqiri, Matt Giteau, some of the best players in the world.

"I just want to take it all into my season next year. If I get a run it'll be unbelievable."

-NZPA

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
PhucNgo said:
Can anyone explain to me how Sekope Kepu gets a gig on the EOYT and someone like Jerry Yanuyanutawa can't even get a S14 contract (I'm assuming he's eligilbe)?

Makes you wonder whether I was watching the same game as Ozzie Rob last Saturday when in 30+ degree heat after charging down a kick and sprinting!!! 20 metres to score, Jerry pops up a few minutes later to with another 30+ metre run, only to have an invisible hand deny him a try under the posts. All this on top of being part of a Sydney Uni front row that handed their opponents, including Kepu and Freier, their arses on a plate.

Kepu was the best Aus prop in the Aus A games and has been in a pro training program, Jerry needs to get signed and get into a S14 program

M

Mainlander

Another on how James O'Connor got/took the news.

GREG GROWDEN said:
No joking matter as teen gets callup
By GREG GROWDEN - SMH | Wednesday, 24 September 2008

James O'Connor joined the long list of Wallabies who believed their call-ups to test status were practical jokes.

The teenager wasn't as emotive as another Wallaby who ? several years ago, believing that he was being hoodwinked by a friend ? told the then Wallabies coach to perform an impossible physical act on himself when told he had been selected for a tour.

But O'Connor was certainly wary when he was tracked down on Stradbroke Island on Monday and told he had to rush to Sydney to be paraded before the media the following day as one of the new touring Wallabies.

"They had apparently been trying to get me for a few days ago, which was understandable as I was soaking up the beach with a few of my mates on Stradbroke Island," O'Connor said.

"My mum actually rang one of my mates, who drove to where I was staying on the island. He told me that my dad was about to give me a call about being part of the Wallabies spring tour. I thought I was being set up, and said to my mate, 'Yeah, whatever'. But, thankfully, my father did get hold of me, and explained it was all true."

Thus began a frantic trip. An hour after being told, O'Connor caught the 3.30pm ferry back to the Queensland mainland, where his parents, who live on the Gold Coast, were waiting to take him to Brisbane Airport.

Not surprisingly, the teenager appeared stunned by all the attention. But his self-confidence, which has been repeatedly mentioned by his Western Force team-mates, soon came to the fore. He might have looked like the cheeky kid sitting outside the headmaster's office, but he handled the media duties with aplomb, even supplying the perfect answer when asked about his positive state of mind.

"Well, if you're not confident, and don't give it back to the boys, you just cop it more," he said.

What was also obvious is that he is no monster. At just 80kg, he will be the lightest of all the tourists. But that doesn't bother O'Connor, or his coach Robbie Deans. Deans quickly explained that All Blacks notables Daniel Carter and Christian Cullen weren't exactly huge men.

"It's not about size. It's about what you got, and how you are able to use what you've got," Deans said.

And according to Deans, O'Connor has got it.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
To be honest I'm not all that happy with the squad at all, to me picking Cooper & O'conner is a waste of time. They should be part of next years PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) before going on tour.

Why take Cordingley & leave Lucas at home that's a pisstake. Lucas kept Cordingley on the bench at the reds for the last two games of the season & Cordingley is moving on at the end of this trip anyway so why waste time.

Pocock is a good choice he'll eventually reaplace Waugh & maybe even Smith in the coming years.

Don't understand why Kimlin wasn't picked, he's a genuine lock with loads of potential proved his worth in the super 14 & PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) but overlooked for this tour.

I really don't understand some of the selections at all to be honest I'm very disappointed.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Good points Disco, I'm especially with you on Cordingly and Kimlin.

The more I've thought about the bolters, the more I've come round to the thinking that there is more about baggsy-ing the players of variable nationality in this than picking young talent. Cooper and O'Connor are the give aways.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm surprised with Cooper too but maybe he just wanted an Aussie brand on him same a O'connor and a few others. I thought Lucas was still injured or just fit like Beale

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gagger & Sully,

Is Cooper really worth all the fuss? To me he's a poor man's Carlos Spencer & if he wants to be an All Black then so be it. I'd take Beale anyday.

As for O'Conner he was always going to be an Aussie, he's at the Force next to his idol Matt Giteau & he's contracted till the end of next year so why not play him in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup).

Kimlin not going is just crazy, if Sharpe or Horwill go down then I suppose Chisolm is next in line as I don't see MMM or Mumm as proper test locks & Chisolm is'nt the tallest bloke going around either.

I think there is some really poor selections which don't make sense at all.

Cooper & O'Conner= To young & raw should be replaced by SNK, Beale or Rob Horne
Cordingley= To old moving on anyway should be replaced by Lucas.
Chisolm= No real problem with Chisolm himself but he should be on call & replaced by Kimlin.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Disco - I'm agreeing with you, and vigorously when it comes to Koowade Kawooper (see below).
Beale smoked him in the S14 and it makes me ask the quesions again - WHERE THE FUCK IS KURTLEY BEALE? Something isn't adding up there.

The baggsying of O'Connor, Cooper et al conspiracy is probably more driven by money than talent: once they're tied to the Australia, they can no longer play the "will I stay or won't I" card when it comes to S14 and top-up negotiations. The press coming out of Cooper and O'Connors agents / kiwi parents along this line has already been turning my stomach.

As it happens Chisholm is 196cms, 1 cm taller than Mumm and only 3cm shorter than Sharpe, Horwill and McMinimum. Would still like to see Kimlin go.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GylqHzh9bCQ

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Beale hasn't played a lick of footy since the S14 and you want to send him on the Wallaby tour?
Nup, Quade for me. I would have liked Lucas and SNK as well though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Mainlander

Thanks a lot for posting that piece about Quade Cooper. I hadn't seen it before, but it's a wonderful story and it warms the heart.

If Kurtley Beale hadn't been injured in the Super14 final in May then had a long rehabilitation - and then broken his hand in the gym just before playing club rugby, about 6 weeks ago - he may have been preferred to his good mate Quade from Oz Schools days, for what is a development position.

I wish Quade well. He is what young folks say these days: a bit random in his play, but the same may have been said about David Campese, and he turned out OK - most of the time.

PhucNgo

Great username mate. Love it.

As fatprop indicates: Kepu has started in S14 games and Jerry Y hasn't.

The more important questions are: why didn't Jerry play for Oz A when he was chosen in the squad and there was no injury report, and, why wasn't Jerry Y chosen for The Waratahs tour of Fiji?

My answers: dunno, but see the other thread on the NSW tour of Fiji when I get around to replying to it.

Gagger and others,

Beale hasn't played since the S14 as explained above and it won't matter beans in the rugby universe if he were picked or Cooper. Cooper could possibly get a bench spot against Italy and even start against the Barbarians, but you couldn't take Beale who hasn't played since May - although I hoped somehow he could have proved his fitness.

As for Lucas and Kimlin: nobody disagrees that they should have been preferred to Cordingley and Chisholm.

Don't be too negative about Rabbit O'Connor before you write down the name of a player who should have gone instead. A few people were bemused when Giteau was chosen a while back (2002??) and even pissed off when he dropped a lot of pill at Twickenham. But he turned out OK too.

And who would you take instead? Turinui? Who is the better project?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cooper blows to hold & cold for me I know he's only young but he needs to string some quality performances together as his form is very erratic & I would love to see him start playing with far more consistency before throing him into a test arena.

When he's hot even the best sides defence can look paper thin but when the chips are down it all goes wrong even simple catch pass situations become a calamity.

He had a blinder against the Saders this year but then the following week he had a shocker against the Blues, this is typical of his form all season.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
And who would you take instead? Turinui? Who is the better project?

SNK, He's got the runs on the board & deserves a shot at test Rugby again.

He's proven himself at super 14 & Aussie A level as a quality player with a high skill level & a good rugby brain.

Would make a very handy utility back off the bench with a great kicking game, probably the best passing game in Aussie rugby & is a very reliable defender.

To be completely honest I think SNK is a better ball player than Matt Giteau, I think he has a better eye for setting up his teamates & a better skill level when it comes to kicking & passing in general play.

Giteau is a better ball runner, bettter goalkicker & is also a better defender than SNK but as playmaker & ball distributor I think SNK is better equipped.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
disco said:
Gagger & Sully,

Is Cooper really worth all the fuss? To me he's a poor man's Carlos Spencer & if he wants to be an All Black then so be it. I'd take Beale anyday.

As for O'Conner he was always going to be an Aussie, he's at the Force next to his idol Matt Giteau & he's contracted till the end of next year so why not play him in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup).

Kimlin not going is just crazy, if Sharpe or Horwill go down then I suppose Chisolm is next in line as I don't see MMM or Mumm as proper test locks & Chisolm is'nt the tallest bloke going around either.

I think there is some really poor selections which don't make sense at all.

Cooper & O'Conner= To young & raw should be replaced by SNK, Beale or Rob Horne
Cordingley= To old moving on anyway should be replaced by Lucas.
Chisolm= No real problem with Chisolm himself but he should be on call & replaced by Kimlin.

Disco - can you explain to me how replacing Cooper or O'Connor with Beale or Horne alleviates the reason you want them replaced (young and raw)? I believe Horne is only slightly older than O'Connor (ie a matter of months not years) and Beale is the same age or younger than Cooper.

I think fp and LG have covered all the points I would have made.

SNK would have been an ok option but, perhaps, his club form has been average or Deans just doesnt rate him. I'm happy for the messiah to continue to be chief selector for now. Perhaps after this tour we will have an idea whether or not he knows his cattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.