• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Pick your Wallaby team for EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I see Mark Ella advocating JOC (James O'Connor) for the fullback slot, on the logic that Barnes and Giteau have 10/12 wrapped up, and that we need some creativity and playmaking from 15. Fair point but let's not sacrifice defence in the process. JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't seem like he'd have the frame of someone you'd put in the last line of defence.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Did the great man say that?

Rabbit's great strengths are finding invisible gaps and being a step ahead mentally of the opposition in every thing going on around him.

No doubt somebody will come up with the theory that he should be tried at scrum half just because of his size but they would be wrong.

Although I've seen him play 10, 12 would be his best position and 13 his next best.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Apparently they tried him out at 15 on the development tour up here this year

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lee Grant said:
Did the great man say that?

Rabbit's great strengths are finding invisible gaps and being a step ahead mentally of the opposition in every thing going on around him.

I usually treat myself to Ella's Friday column to marvel at his inability to discuss anything related to forward play but he does have an interesting slant on things.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24408357-5015656,00.html

Deans likes having ball-players on the field, particularly the inside halves, but having played five-eighth himself through school and fullback for the All Blacks, he knows the value of having a fullback who can not only inject himself into the backline, but having someone with enough creativity to build continuity out wide.

Leon MacDonald is a perfect example of the type of fullback that comes to mind and it shouldn't surprise anyone that Deans was his coach and mentor. There is no reason to think O'Connor can't give the Wallabies much more control at the back.

This would give the Wallabies greater depth in attack which has been the hallmark of the Crusaders for many years.

All sounds good on paper but with our defensive problems this 3N, could be risky putting such a slightly built kid at fullback.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So its settled. Cooper for the Wallaby 15 spot.

Actually, and curse me at your leisure, I would LOVE to see Gits at the back. Counter attacking and joining the line outwide in space. Let's enjoy his free running, not inhibit it at 10.

S

Spook

My problem with Cooper is that I think he is as just really dumb. Hope he proves me wrong.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I saw Mooney describe Quade as a "real student of the game" which to me means he is coachable. And I don't think Mooney is the type of guy to not mean something he says.

I think we saw it this year too. Cooper was much better than last year. We just need the same again. I for one don't want the natural attacking instincts coached out of him however.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Spook said:
My problem with Cooper is that I think he is as just really dumb. Hope he proves me wrong.

As opposed to your English and comprehension skills :fishing

I think Cooper has been on a very steep learning curve over the past year or two. I think with time he will develop into more than just an average player. While surprised to see his name in the paper, it wasn't totally unexpected given the injuries of others he would have potentially been up against. Secondly the 3Ns showed that there was crap all 5/8 cover because the cupboard was bare after Gits and Barnes. Hell, there was talk of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Mortlock taking over the 10 duties if Gits went down in Bledisloe III. Thats not a position a top 3 side really want to find themselves in at test level. OZ need cover there and need to desperately build some depth.

'Rabbit' showed some class in the S14 this year. He has some wheels and despite his frame showed he wasn't tentative to take the ball to the line or get involved at the tackle. But he is raw, and even more so than Cooper. His 7s background has given him a bit of X-factor which alll top teams need. The 2nd half of Bledisloe III showed that there was a bit too much predictability about the Wallaby attack. OZ were sorely missing a 2002/03 version of Medicare Matt or an 2006(??) version of Mitchell. FB is a key position to lighting up a backline. Growden got it right with Deans regarding the importance of fullback. Watch some Crusader tape and see how Deans used MacDonald in coming into the line to either change the direction of the attack or provide a straight runner or be the link man. I'm sure Deans would be the first to say that the smartest guy in your team wears the no15.....

S

Spook

ACT Crusader said:
Spook said:

As opposed to your English and comprehension skills :fishing

...Thats That's not a position a top 3 side really want to find themselves in at test level...

But he is raw, and even more so than Cooper. His 7s background has given him a bit of X-factor which alll all top teams need.

:thumb

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
SNK can play very good fullback. And you can quote me on this: I think Cooper has zero chance of ever playing test-quality 10.

I'm officially wavering in my support for Deans.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Counter attacking from 15 won't happen unless our backs learn to get off their arses, stop jogging - run and get back and support. It happened in a couple of early test where we saw Mortlock, the wingers & co get back and create options, it then disappeared.

If you don't give the guy with the ball some options it will go no where.

F

formeropenside

Scarfman said:
SNK can play very good fullback. And you can quote me on this: I think Cooper has zero chance of ever playing test-quality 10.

I'm officially wavering in my support for Deans.

By test quality I assume you mean 3N test quality; there are a lot of soft tests the Wallabies have played over the last few years which could have been won with a largely Aus A quality team.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The reality all these kids on the tour may get 15min game time between them (unless there are serious injuries), Deans doesn't use his bench and these guys will be tackling bags and learning plays for a few weeks.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
fatprop said:
The reality all these kids on the tour may get 15min game time between them (unless there are serious injuries), Deans doesn't use his bench and these guys will be tackling bags and learning plays for a few weeks.

That's because John O'Neill is more interested in scheduling 5 Bledisloe Cup games a year than sorting out some mid-week games for our young talent.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
It'sinteresting to go back through some of the posts. In the case of this topic, some punters got it pretty right and others were way off.

The Cooper critics were abundant so may have a little egg on face. He still has to prove his consistency at the top level but for mine he was the player who stepped up the most on tour.

Baxter, Ioane and Sharp also defied the critics.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
SNK can play very good fullback. And you can quote me on this: I think Cooper has zero chance of ever playing test-quality 10

I'd be all for SNK at 15 for OZ, very quick, good kicking & passing game, very good under the high ball doesn't miss tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.