• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Pick your Wallaby team for EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I remember seeing an interview with Cordingley about his roll this season. It appeared his role was to give experience to the bench and to mentor Burgess.

The ARU also refused to give him an early release so I think Deans wanted that to continue in Europe.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Disco - can you explain to me how replacing Cooper or O'Connor with Beale or Horne alleviates the reason you want them replaced (young and raw)? I believe Horne is only slightly older than O'Connor (ie a matter of months not years) and Beale is the same age or younger than Cooper.

Well Beale is just better than Cooper & as for Horne I'm not sure of the age difference but he certainly is more rugged & has more super 14 experience.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
The plan of blooding a few youngsters in the Baa Baas game might be put under some pressure. While it would be a great opportunity to give these youngsters a shot it could lead to a bit of a blow out given the quality of the team they are putting together.

Backs ? Percy Montgomery (SA), Joe Rokocoko (NZ), Jean de Villiers (SA), Bryan Habana (SA), Fourie du Preez (SA)

Forwards ? Carl Hayman (NZ), John Smit (SA), Bakkies Botha (SA), Steve Borthwick (England), Schalk Burger (SA), Richie McCaw (NZ), Jerry Collins (NZ)

Would love to see Pocock up against a backrow of Collins Burger and McCaw.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ja with Jake White , you can expect he'll try and get some more Saffer CC youngsters for the positions he can get what his been looking for, it sure look like a deadly team.

I am glad to see the top players want to jol in a BaaBaa team.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Just reading through the ' baggsying' comments about O'Connor and Cooper.

Doesn't the fact that O'Connor played Sevens for OZ earlier this year rule out his eligibility for other nations, or is it just repping in the 15 a side game that triggers eligibility rules? Regardless, if it is about tying them to OZ rugby then maybe they should consider a similar strategy for young Matt To'omua sometime soon.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It is mostly about getting these guys capped for the Wallabies, but it is also about having some good press at the announcement, creating a positive feel around the squad and seeing what a few immensely talented young guys can do when given the chance.

I think O'Connor has even more natural talent than Giteau, and when Cooper is on song he can run a backline as well as any in this country (yes I know, he is only on song 40% of the time). The Reds backline was a lot better when he moved to 10 and Barnes to 12.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Good point Spectator

From the IRB site:
A Player who has played for the senior fifteen-a-side National
Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-a-side National
Representative Team or the senior National Representative Sevens Team
of a Union is not eligible to play for the senior fifteen-a-side National
Representative Team
or the next senior fifteen-a-side National
of another Union.

F

formeropenside

Gagger said:
Good point Spectator

From the IRB site:
Representative Team
or the next senior fifteen-a-side National
of another Union.
I thought you had to be over 18 when playing for 7's, and O'Connor wasn't.

Baggsing them now is a good idea though. A few minutes v Italy or a BaaBaa's game. I might have been tempted to do it in a early season meaningless test v a NH side though.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gagger said:
Good point Spectator

From the IRB site:
Representative Team
or the senior National Representative Sevens Team
of another Union.

Doesnt this also mean that Australia A would have done the job? Wasnt Kepu capped for Aus A? Pocock and Cooper too? Given O'Connor has played 7s, they were all already in the bag.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Isn't there a possibility that the conspiracy to avoid the poach theory is astray?

It is very obvious that the Wallabies must develop some inside backs as competition and replacements for Burgess, Barnes and Giteau. Looking down the production line, next-up were probably Lucas, Beale and Cooper, two of whom are injured; hence Cooper is in. The next down the line are probably Leilifano and O'Connor; the former is injured and hence the latter is in.

I was disappointed that Horne missed out but I see that he was not selected for the Little Tahs' trip to Fiji because of injury.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fair point Biffo, when you put it that way. Given our defensive frailties this year, I am more than a little concerned that Cooper and O'Connor could be "speed bumps", to quote Mat Rogers. I hope somebody in the Wallabies set-up has a clue about getting the defence sorted, and getting these guys into good habits early. I don't care if they're big or not - look at Barnes and Giteau defensively - but that they know what to do and where to be. In saying this, I saw little of O'Connor this year so may be unfairly judging his abilities.
Cooper really worries me though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aust A does bind them. Only Kepu I think has played. Or did Pocock play last year? He didn't this year and nor did Cooper.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Biffo said:
Isn't there a possibility that the conspiracy to avoid the poach theory is astray?

It is very obvious that the Wallabies must develop some inside backs as competition and replacements for Burgess, Barnes and Giteau. Looking down the production line, next-up were probably Lucas, Beale and Cooper, two of whom are injured; hence Cooper is in. The next down the line are probably Leilifano and O'Connor; the former is injured and hence the latter is in.

How dare you deflate the conspiracy theory like that - you're obviously part of it!

Tyrone Smith and Tom Carter not worth a look? Might not be boy prodigies but can showed some talent and muscle this S14

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Gagger said:
Biffo said:

How dare you deflate the conspiracy theory like that - you're obviously part of it!

Tyrone Smith and Tom Carter not worth a look? Might not be boy prodigies but can showed some talent and muscle this S14

Isn't Tom Carter injured as well ? Otherwise he would have popped up for Sydney Uni in club footy. I think he was stuck to running the water.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gagger said:
Biffo said:

Guilty as charged M'Lord :( may I ask that 1,000 similar offences be taken into account in sentencing ... also that I promise to be a serious re-offender :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No. Tom Carter is not worth a look.

Tyrone Smith possibly but I see more future in JOC (James O'Connor), Quade, Kurtley and Horne

S

Spook

Tyrone Smith is still adjusting to defense in union at 12. Takes a while for leaguies to cope doesn't it? >:D

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Noddy said:
Aust A does bind them. Only Kepu I think has played. Or did Pocock play last year? He didn't this year and nor did Cooper.

Pocock played last year and so did Beale which made me think Cooper may have as well but could be wrong.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) will turn out to be a poor defender. Cooper and Beale are the main concerns in this area - but then so was Mehrtens for his entire playing career.

Status
Not open for further replies.