• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Pick your Wallaby team for EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Call them what you want 2 of those players never were and never will be Fullbacks!!!

And only one of them should be able to call himself a Queenslander!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd be happy to get 1 fullback on the park, let alone 3! AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) aint one either.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sully said:
Call them what you want 2 of those players never were and never will be Fullbacks!

That'd be big Dell, wouldn't it?

F

formeropenside

Lindommer said:
Sully said:
Call them what you want 2 of those players never were and never will be Fullbacks!

Well not really, but in Dell's defence, he was so ashamed of moving to the Tahs he took up using Bolivian Marching Powder to dull the pain of his betrayal.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Well yes.

Latho supports the NSW blues in league, so most Qlders would not consider him one of theirs..... of course for us Reds fans its a bit different.

F

formeropenside

Tuqiri doubt could let in bolter
Rupert Guinness | September 22, 2008

THE Wallabies squad for the end of season tour to Hong Kong and Europe could include an extra player when it is announced tomorrow.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said the prospect of naming a 34-player squad was being considered by the selectors, the Australian Rugby Union and himself.

However, Deans stressed that the final squad number of 33 or 34 players would also hinge on winger Lote Tuqiri's availability after last week's knee operation.

Deans and his selectors - Wallabies assistant coaches Jim Williams and Michael Foley - plan to settle on the line-up and submit it to the ARU for approval today.

"In my head I am pretty clear now, but I don't know what the other boys are saying," Deans said after Sydney University beat Randwick in the Shute Shield grand final.

Deans, who was at Concord Oval on Saturday, was tight-lipped about the touring party make-up, but revealed there may be an extra player.

"We have had some discussions around taking 34," he said. "The organisation [the ARU] is agreeable to considering 34. They won't necessarily [approve] that, but they are agreeable to contemplating it.

"Part of that is going to revolve around Lote and his fitness. If he is not fit and can't tour well, we will take 33."

Deans would not say whether a forward or back would get the spare ticket, but indications are that it would be a back to cover for Tuqiri - even if he does make the tour.

An ideal option would have been Western Force back Cameron Shepherd, who broke his leg in the France Test on July 5, and is still some way off from full fitness.

Another option is Waratahs utility back Sam Norton-Knight who can play at five-eighth, inside-centre, on the wing or at fullback and has played in the Australia A program.

Otherwise, Deans could look at Western Force winger Digby Ioane, with whom he has worked, or even Brumbies outside back Mark Gerrard.

Deans is expected to keep most of the 30-player Wallabies Tri Nations squad.

He also expects Waratahs No. 8 Wycliff Palu to tour, despite injuring his knee in the Tri Nations decider against the All Blacks in Brisbane.

"It was a four-to-six week injury, so the likelihood is that he will be coming back on strength in time to tour," he said. Two names have been touted as bolters - Western Force back-rower David Pocock and Brumbies half-back Josh Holmes.

Other possibles are Queensland Reds halfback Ben Lucas and five-eighth Quade Cooper, who also plays fullback, Brumbies centre Tyrone Smith, Waratahs prop Sekope Kepu, along with Brumbies' second-rower/back-rower Mark Chisholm and No. 8 Stephen Hoiles - the last three showing strong form for Randwick.

Chisholm could help fill the void of Waratahs second-rower Dan Vickerman or No. 6 Rocky Elsom caused by their UK commitments.

Deans felt Chisholm "played well in a beaten team" against University on Saturday.

He also praised Wallabies Phil Waugh and Adam Freier for playing in the Shute Shield after the Tri Nations series.

"It is just good to see them out there. It's good for everyone. You can't replace time on the field of play," Deans said.

"It gives access to the next generation as well. It helps others to aspire to the opportunities that they have.

"It also keeps the incumbent generation going. It keeps them honest.

"That enthusiasm is the heart of the game.

"It doesn't matter what level you are playing. If you don't love what you are doing, you won't last long there."

Incorrect statements or problematic assertions emphasized in italics.

Didn't the GF just prove (once again) that Hoiles is a back trapped in a back's body with the strange delusion that he is a forward?

Chisholm for Elsom...try Kimlin perhaps.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
You really should've put Josh Holmes in italics as well - that'd surely rate as just a bizarre, bizarre choice.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ash said:
You really should've put Josh Holmes in italics as well - that'd surely rate as just a bizarre, bizarre choice.
It would, wouldn't it? Funny thing is that a year ago or thereabouts we would have been far less surprised - he seemed to have some talent but has put none of it on the park.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I won?t go into a scientific selection as others have done better than I could, just make some comments on what others have said, including journos.

? Someone said they are taking 33 on tour which I figure out as 30 in a normal pre test season squad plus 3 development players. They will play probably only 26 players tops in the 4 crunch games against NZ, England, Wales and France. The other 7 may get a run against Italy and the Barbarians though Oz may play their best props against the Azzuri.

? Lote looks in doubt and should be left home. With Shepherd back in the frame, one assumes, and Mitchell not even used at SunCorp we should have the back 3 covered. Although Lachie Turner played against France this winter, and not very well, he could be considered as a development player for the back 3.

? The midfield is a problem unless both Giteau and Barnes stay healthy for the whole tour, or at least the crunch games. If Barnes gets hurt again we have Hobson?s choice of using either Mortlock or Tahu there again. I wouldn?t use Tahu again at 12 until he?s had a season for the Tahs in that spot, in fact I?d prefer to leave him at home, but alternatives are scarce and we may have to take him.

? Beale was mentioned in a recent article by Phil Wilkins. I?d like to see him go on tour as one of the development players and, as I mentioned elsewhere: play against the Barbarians and from the bench against the Azzuri. SNK has been mentioned by some as a tourist and given our midfield problems which impinge on the flyhallf position, he could be a better bet than Beale as a stopgap. He?s started as 10, 12, 15 and wing in the S12/14.

? I?m not sure if Cordingley is available or not but I wouldn?t take him anyway. I?d rather see a youngster like Ben Lucas making mistakes as 3rd scrummie, or even Josh Holmes, instead of Cordingley as 2nd. Sheehan will not go down in history as the greatest Wallaby scrummie, but he didn?t embarrass himself too much and deserves to be backup to Burgess.

? Cliffy Palu has a grade 2 medial strain and wont be available for Hong Kong. I would leave him at home and see how Richard Brown does at the deep end. As the depth at no.8 is poor Hoiles may get a tour by default.

? There has been talk of giving young Pocock a tour instead of Waugh. The Orc is a tight/loose type flanker who would be particularly useful against the Poms and the style they play. I?ve always said that when Waugh and Smith are in the same 22 that Waugh should start against the bashers like the Boks and the Poms, but the time will come when either one or the other has to be picked and that will always be the younger Smith, who has more skills.

I?d like to see Pocock get his chance on this tour and if Phil has to miss out so be it. Perhaps there will be room for all 3 and Pocock can do the Italy/Barbarians thing.

? I?m not worried about the 6 position but I am worried about one of the valid candidates like Mumm and 3M having to play lock. On the other hand, I?d roll my eyes if Sharpe finds his way back permanently in the Wallabies 2nd row by default. Maybe he has to stay there for another season of the S14 and the young guns emerge for the 2009 EOYT.

I?d like to see Kimlin travel as a development player. I rate him but I wouldn?t ask him to start a game locking the scrum. Someone has talked about big Sitileki Timani from the Force on his way to the Brumbies. I saw him in the Elimination SF at the Cow Paddock playing for the Rats and he was superb ? as he was by all accounts the week before against Manly ? but it?s a big step from there to international rugby.

? I cant see anyone else but the 3 Oz 3N props starting in the big tests unless Greg Holmes has made a good return from injury. Holmes should tour and Ben Alexander will probably go as a development player but LHP is not the problem. It would make more sense taking a development THP like Edwards who didn?t finish too many S14 games this year with his head sticking out of his arse..

? Hookers Moore and Freier should tour but I have lost all confidence in TPN?s throwing, because it looks like he has too. He should stay at home and get it back in the S14 next year. There is a crop of promising youngsters like Hanson, Charles and Kirkpatrick but they haven?t played S14 yet; so I?d probably take Hardman as 3rd rake as Fainga?a hasn?t done enough yet in my eyes.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
? I cant see anyone else but the 3 Oz 3N props starting in the big tests unless Greg Holmes has made a good return from injury. Holmes should tour and Ben Alexander will probably go as a development player but LHP is not the problem. It would make more sense taking a development THP like Edwards who didn?t finish too many S14 games this year with his head sticking out of his arse..

Probably because he didn't manage to finish any of the games he started in.... but of course, I agree he should be taken and if picked in the squad will be better for the pre-tour training that is planned (have a feeling Deans is going to flog them).

? Hookers Moore and Freier should tour but I have lost all confidence in TPN?s throwing, because it looks like he has too. He should stay at home and get it back in the S14 next year. There is a crop of promising youngsters like Hanson, Charles and Kirkpatrick but they haven?t played S14 yet; so I?d probably take Hardman as 3rd rake as Fainga?a hasn?t done enough yet in my eyes.

Finally, some of you NSW supporters are starting to see the light, and the light is shining bright in TPN's eyes as he tries once again to hit the side of a barn. I can remember some of you calling for his inclusion in the starting position ahead of Moore not long ago....... just a little bias coming into play there!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's because we are so much more tolerant of people's disabilities down here! ;)
I would not take him, and was not one of his apologists.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But he was the form S14 hooker, and I make no apologies for calling for his selection. The Tahs got to the S14 final on the back of their lineout, and it looked like TPN had cleared up most of his throwing woes. Obviously not.

F

formeropenside

Maybe Hardman will add to his 3 test caps. Certainly one of the hardest triers going around.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
To be fair to TPN's supporters, and I was one of them, he finished the S14 with a good throwing record - not as good as Moore's, but he was better than Moore around the park.

Nevertheless, I didn't call for him to play in front of Moore from the start of the winter tests, because Moore barely ever threw a ball not straight in the S14 this year and they were mostly good for height and distance also.

I didn't dissent when Freier was chosen to be bench hooker for the in-bound tests ahead of TPN but agreed that TPN should take his bench spot for 3N.

I can't remember anybody saying TPN should have started from Day 1 against Ireland but there may have been a few.

Watch out when that chip falls off your shoulder Scotty - you could break a bone in your foot.

F

formeropenside

I for one will find it hard to suddenly find Moore crap next year when he moves to the Brumbies. Mind you, the move did not go so great for Mitch Chapman; perhaps the same effect will be had on Moore by the cold dry air of our nations fine capital.

I wonder if Hardman will retain the starting Reds no2 all season; and whether Fainga'a or Hanson will end the season at 2 or 16 (barring injuries).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
I for one will find it hard to suddenly find Moore crap next year when he moves to the Brumbies. Mind you, the move did not go so great for Mitch Chapman; perhaps the same effect will be had on Moore by the cold dry air of our nations fine capital.

It was a strange decision by Moore IMHO, the Brumbies aren't going to improve his forward play, but neither were the Force.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
fatprop said:
formeropenside said:

It was a strange decision by Moore IMHO, the Brumbies aren't going to improve his forward play, but neither were the Force.

He's the best hooker in the country by miles and the moronic Reds had him on the bench for most of the last 3 years. Its their own fault.

Lee Grant said:
To be fair to TPN's supporters, and I was one of them, he finished the S14 with a good throwing record - not as good as Moore's, but he was better than Moore around the park.

Again with this crap ?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Naz - Moore had some utterly shit games during those three years too. Hardman, though less talented, was more consistent for two of those years.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Surprised no-one mentioned Phibbs, either. He'd surely be just as much chance as Holmes to tour. Holmes may have more talent, but Phibbs has had a better year. The club games I saw Phibbs play I also thought he was going rather well.

S

Spook

fatprop said:
formeropenside said:

Andy Friend may offer something there. Better than Gandalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.