• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Oz S15 & Academy Squads 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hey Slim, mate haven't seen anything confirming Kimlin's contract beyond this year. It doesn't mean he isn't of course. If you can confirm one way or the other that would be great.

I thought that... I tried finding some confirmation but no luck...

One would assume he would be a starting player next year if fit... hopefully so...

I still think he can be a member for the Wallabies' RWC squad... with all the injuries this year he really could've made a name for himself...

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
Have the Reds recruited an openside flanker at all? From my count, we have lost 3 so far and no one seems to be filling the void.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
Tasi and Shaw, or were they considered more blindside options? Gill was upgraded from academy program. Who then is our number 1 option?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon it will be between the youngsters Gill, Quirk and Schatz depending on the opposition.

I wouldn't discount Tomiki yet. It can take a while to adjust coming back from French rugby to S14.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
What is going on at the Force and the Brumbies? The other 3 teams seemed to have basically finalised their squads barring 1 or 2 spots. However the Force and Brumbies seem to have almost 10 spots left each.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
What is going on at the Force and the Brumbies? The other 3 teams seemed to have basically finalised their squads barring 1 or 2 spots. However the Force and Brumbies seem to have almost 10 spots left each.

Force are close to resigning Cameron Shepherd, James Stannard and Willie Ripia. That will lead to 24 players. That will sort out the starting team, and its a case of buildiong a few young players around that.
Id like to see a new young lock picked up (would have loved Luke Jones to stick around), a third hooker (wouldnt be surprised to see Siliva Siliva promoted, as I wouldnt be surprised to see him go to Melbourne if he isnt), a new young prop (Cruze Ah-Nau springs to mind) and a fast young outside back (Cummins and Staniforth can both cover the centres, but Force are a little short on outside backs).

If Willie Ripia can be picked up as the non-marquee player, I wouldnt be surprised to see Pretorius resigned as the marquee. And that would mostly be to mentor the young inside backs the Force have (Ripia if he signs, OConnor, Hunt and Godwin in the academy)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well the Reds haven't signed Aiden Toua. He'd be an awesome option I reckon.

Free up JOC (James O'Connor) to play closer to the action at 10 or 12.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Force have re-signed Cam Shepherd and James Stannard

ANTHONY Fainga'a can probably communicate telepathically with twin brother Saia, but his link with Quade Cooper may seal his first Test cap.

Fainga'a was one of four newcomers to the Wallabies' Tri-Nations squad named on Thursday, joining Saia, who played in the recent Tests against Fiji, England and Ireland.

As Cooper's partner in the Queensland inside backs, Fainga'a has mastered the art of playing outside Australian rugby's most unpredictable playmaker.

It is something more experienced inside centres such as Matt Giteau and Berrick Barnes have not always managed to do.

"I've played two years with Quade," Fainga'a said. "Everyone finds it hard to play with Quady.

"I think he is one of the best No 10s going around in the world. I think he is the best No 10 in the world to be honest.

"I love playing outside him. He opens a lot of space for me. I make him direct and it has worked really well for us.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"You have to be instinctive like he is. That's the way he plays. If he sees space or a hole, he'll take it.

"A lot of players keep playing the plan. Robbie (Deans) is big on what you see in front of you is the go."

Deans may remain loyal to Giteau -- who hails from the same town of Queanbeyan as the Faingaas -- for the Wallabies' opening Tri-Nations Test against South Africa in Brisbane on July 24.

But if the Cooper/Giteau combination does not gel, Deans may well consider starting Fainga'a at inside centre against the All Blacks in Melbourne the following week.

The highly physical Fainga'a would offer the Wallabies directness in attack and solidity in defence.

"I'm not here to make up the numbers," Fainga'a said. "I'm here to play. Especially playing against teams like South Africa, which play pretty physically, we will need to play direct. I could play a role in that.

"It's up to Robbie what he wants. I'll do my best to get in the team.

"There is Matt Giteau and Berrick Barnes as well. I'm not worried about outside factors. I'm just worried about getting myself right and if Robbie picks me, I'm ready to go."

While Fainga'a would improve the Wallabies' directness at inside centre, they would lose a tactical kicking option without Giteau or Barnes at No 12.

"You are never perfect," Fainga'a said. "For me it's just chipping away at my strengths and just keep working on everything I need to work on.

"Quade can kick. If I need to kick, I can kick. In our game plan we hold onto possession. We don't give ball away."

As much as Fainga'a would love to play alongside Cooper in a Test, his big dream is still to play international rugby with Saia, who will most likely come off the bench against the Springboks following the return from injury of Stephen Moore.

His twin was the first person Fainga'a contacted after Deans told him he had been selected in the squad.

"He (Deans) told me I was in the team and I was over the moon. I rang Saia back and told him I had been selected. He was yahooing."

Meanwhile, former Test fullback Cameron Shepherd will attend Wallabies training in Sydney on Monday in a strong indication he will be called up to the squad.

With Digby Ioane (dislocated shoulder) unavailable for the Springboks Test and Peter Hynes (knee) in doubt, Deans has left two spots open in the 30-man squad.

Shepherd, who has rejected an offer from Melbourne Rebels to re-sign with Western Force, would cover both fullback and wing.

After playing against Ireland in 2008 in Deans' first Test in charge of the Wallabies, Shepherd has been frustrated by a series of injuries.

But a fully fit Shepherd could provide the Wallabies with both size and skill in the outside backs.

Former Western Force scrum-half and Australian Sevens star James "Chucky" Stannard will be back next season, two years after he last played Super rugby for the club.

Stannard has answered an SOS from the Force to fill the vacancy left by Justin Turner, who is expected to be sidelined for nine months after injuring a knee in last month's IRB junior world championships.

Stannard, 27, who is in Wallaby Sevens camp preparing for the Commonwealth Games in October in New Delhi, had been weighing up offers from French clubs and interest from the ACT Brumbies.

"It would be great to get back to Perth and back into Super rugby," Stannard said.

"I'm pretty excited. I've been thinking about it for a while."

Stannard is expected to finalise his contract with the Force next week.

Chief executive Vern Reid said talks were "well down the track".

"James has a strong desire to return to Perth. We are now finetuning his contract," Reid said.

Force assistant coach Richard Graham said Stannard would be a good fit for the club

"He's good mates with a lot of the boys that are still here and very familiar with Perth," Graham said.

Stannard moved to Perth in 2006 from Brisbane Souths and won RugbyWA's prestigious PG Hampshire Award for best and fairest when he was playing fly-half for Palmyra.

When he was selected in the Force academy two years later, coaching staff channelled his skills to the base of the scrum.

A few months later, he made his Super debut against the Cheetahs when Matt Henjak was sacked after a hotel brawl with teammate Haig Sare.

He went on to play a handful of games before being released at the end of that year when the Force signed Josh Valentine and kept Chris O'Young and Turner.

Stannard joined the Brumbies' program in Canberra and has been playing club rugby for Eastwood in Sydney. He received a surprise call-up to the Australian Sevens in 2009.

The squad was training in Canberra and Stannard went along to make up the numbers as opposition.

A couple of weeks later he was called by selectors and played in the last two rounds of the IRB tournament.

He signed an ARU Sevens contract this year and has excelled in the shortened version of the game, amassing more than 150 points.

He has captained the side twice, including during the London tournament where he led Australia to their first win since 2002 and was named player of the tournament.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The Brumbies had a massive cleanout and dumped a number of players who have contributed very little in recent years: Taumopeau, Timani, Mafi, Vanderglas, and possibly Phibbs...

George Smith retired... and Mortlock and Huxley went to the Rebels...

Hopefully they'll promote Phoenix Battye, Robbie Coleman and Nick White before it's too late... all of them being locals who have starred for the U20's...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
have they really dumped Vanderglas?

Apparently so...

Although he didn't really get an opportunity this year...

But their backrow stocks are pretty full with Elsom, Fainga'a, Hoiles, Chapman, Salvi and Hooper... plus Kimlin if need be...

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
have they really dumped Vanderglas?

Got a thing for him...he starred in the Aust Sevens win in the London Sevens...I can't fathom now why he is not in the Commonwealth Games squad at present...

By the way, had been of a mind he was part of the Reds set up until reading this thread...

F

foxyloxy

The Brumbies had a massive cleanout and dumped a number of players who have contributed very little in recent years: ..

They have been doing some recruiting as they only apparently have a small handful of spots left.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They have been doing some recruiting as they only apparently have a small handful of spots left.

At the moment they only have 26 players in their squad (assuming Phibbs goes)...

They still have room for another 3-4 players and hopefully that'll include the players named above plus another winger...

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Who are their 26 players? Have Hoiles and Kimlin re-signed? Holies seemed to be off to Melb before their CEO exited? Has he now signed for the Brumbies?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who are their 26 players? Have Hoiles and Kimlin re-signed? Holies seemed to be off to Melb before their CEO exited? Has he now signed for the Brumbies?

Hoiles has re-signed...

I'm unsure about Kimilin's status... but I'm quite certain that he's on board for next year...

Unfortunately Phibbs is still listed on the Brumbies' squad page... I'm hoping that he'll be still getting the boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.