• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Oz S15 & Academy Squads 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
What is going on with Cameron Shepherd?

Has Samo signed with the Reds for 2011 - I thought it was only for the rest of 2010?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
What is going on with Cameron Shepherd?

Cam is a play that makes me want to cry. I'm convinced he could have been a world beater Rob Kearney style FB, instead they have to play him on the wing to delay him falling to pieces.

Let's hope he somehow puts himself back together and manages to get some games at 15 next S15 season and miraculously plays the WC or at least earns some big bucks in the less physically taxing Japan league, for his sake.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Robinson appears to be staying

Robinson appears to be staying
Big Benn loyal to the Tahs

* By Iain Payten
* June 02, 2010 12:00AM
PROP Benn Robinson has spurned lucrative offers from the Melbourne Rebels and overseas clubs to re-sign with the Waratahs and the Australian Rugby Union.

Robinson was a major target of the new Super 15 franchise but it is understood the 25-year-old's loyalty to NSW proved too strong despite the Rebels reportedly "offering the world".

Regarded by many as the best loosehead prop in world rugby, Robinson was also the target of cashed-up European clubs but, after lengthy negotiations, the No. 1 is set to put pen to paper as early as tomorrow.

The contract ensures Robinson is on deck for the Wallabies in next year's World Cup.

The development will not only bring sighs of relief to jittery NSW officials but also provide some overdue good news in the Wallabies camp, with Robinson one of several injured stars currently missing from the Test front-row.

Sidelined after surgery on a broken arm, Robinson and hooker Stephen Moore (broken jaw) are out of all the June Tests and Tatafu Polota-Nau is also facing a three-month layoff if his ankle does not heal by next week.

Only first-choice tighthead prop Ben Alexander will play against Fiji in Canberra on Saturday night, and even then he'll wear Robinson's vacant loosehead jersey.

Alongside Robinson are Test debutants in ACT hooker Huia Edmonds and tighthead Salesi Ma'afu. The exposure of the newcomers to tough English and Irish packs this month will help the Wallabies' depth and coach Robbie Deans will sleep a little easier knowing Robinson is part of his plans.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Shep has signed with the Reds...

Reds sign former Test prop

June 2, 2010 - 11:32AM

The Queensland Reds have bolstered their front-row stocks for next year's Super 15 by signing Wallabies 2007 World Cup scrum anchor Guy Shepherdson.

Shepherdson has quit the Brumbies, after being dislodged at tighthead prop by Salesi Ma'afu, to sign with the Reds on a two-year deal.

The 28-year-old is one of four players Queensland have just locked into new deals along with back-rower Jake Schatz, veteran lock Radike Samo and centre Ben Tapuai.

AAP

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rocky confirmed for the Brumbies next year...

Elsom to stay with Brumbies

June 2, 2010

Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom has ended months of uncertainty over his playing future by recommitting to the Brumbies for next year's inaugural Super 15 rugby competition.

While Elsom is yet to go public with his decision, the big flanker has opted against exercising a get-out clause in his contract that would have allowed him to leave the ACT franchise following this year's Super 14.

The news - which comes three days before Elsom leads Australia on home soil for the first time in what will also be his 50th Test on Saturday against Fiji in Canberra - will come as a major relief to Brumbies fans.

There were reports of disunity in the star-studded Brumbies camp during their unsuccessful 2010 campaign, while Elsom was also involved in a training-ground dispute with coach Andy Friend.

Elsom and Friend have both since said they've buried the hatchet.

Nevertheless, Elsom's retention was never a fait accompli until he apparently agreed just before midnight on Tuesday to stay with the two-time Super champions - who have not made the finals since 2004.

The Melbourne-born, Brisbane-schooled 27-year-old had been playing his cards close to his chest, having been in the sights of Super 15 newcomers the Melbourne Rebels.

Prior to linking with the Brumbies in 2010, Elsom spent six seasons with the NSW Waratahs before helping Irish club Leinster to European Cup glory last year.

AAP

I

intheknow

Rupeni couldve been anything in the world, the man had immense talent. Shame he never truely embraced it

W

whocares

Thats an interesting replacement. you would've thought they would go for young Greg Peterson or try and snare one of the U20's 2nd's. I'm not saying Timani is terrible but at 25 and still unable to crack into the brumbies 22 I think a 19/20 year old is a better investment, especially with the raps Peterson's gotten.... although in saying that it's probably a good idea to give him a year or so in clubland and get used to some old men hit him.

Cyril Towers (30)
I reckon McDuling at Uni is worth considering. He's had a year or so of getting belted by old men and he's getting better and better.

W

whocares

he has potential but McDuling is little short in comparison. at 195 cm he has to look up to Peterson and Battye who both stand at 204 cm

Cyril Towers (30)
Yep, but he wins his lineout ball and is proving to be a tough bastard who has improved out of sight this year. Those other boys are still pups who haven't been tested against the big boys yet.

W

whocares

To be honest i haven't actually watched a lot of his play lately just remember him from schoolboys but he sounds to me like the mongrel that Australian rugby has been missing in the 2nd row (Byrnes aside). The question is how will he go against giants like Andries Bekker?

sounds a bit Rocky-like

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Thats an interesting replacement. you would've thought they would go for young Greg Peterson or try and snare one of the U20's 2nd's. I'm not saying Timani is terrible but at 25 and still unable to crack into the brumbies 22 I think a 19/20 year old is a better investment, especially with the raps Peterson's gotten.... although in saying that it's probably a good idea to give him a year or so in clubland and get used to some old men hit him.

Timani? Oh fuck, Hickey really has no clue does he? No offence to the young bloke personally, but he is not a lock's arse.

And Tom - you're my friend on MySpace aren't you?

R

rugbywhisperer

Let's not forget the Aussie schools champs this week.
All S14/15 coaches and scouts will be there, and sharp pencils may be needed.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I notice Peter Kimlin's name is an omission from the Brumbies squad... but I'm quite certain he'll be a definite starter for them next year...

Anybody know what his contract status is?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hey Slim, mate haven't seen anything confirming Kimlin's contract beyond this year. It doesn't mean he isn't of course. If you can confirm one way or the other that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.