• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

O'Connor at 12 and McCabe at 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mica

Another option with regard to the current players and positions is to play JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, McCabe at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 14.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has played wing in recent years and has gone OK.

On the other hand with JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing it allows him to have a bigger impact wrt kicking in general play. He has a fairly long kick and it's pretty accurate.

One thing the WBs can do better is playing a pressure field position game which will be needed for the RWC, especially for the close matches and especially if our lineout is pilfering ball. I think that the WBs could turn this into a real strength.

Mica

H

high tower

Mitchell is not back, has not being considered for the squad at this stage.
When he comes back it will be from a serious leg injury. Speed, strength and confidence all down, he is not going to replace JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing before the WC and not likely during. Deans wants JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing, Mitchell will have to come back via a bench spot or through an injury - Digby is the most prone of recent past amongst the outside backs

U

undercoverkiwi

so Robbies game plan seems to be to nulify the breakdown and scrum (just hang in there) then use quick ball to launch attack with width and speed.

what the hell is his plan B?

Pat McCabe.

Not much of a Plan B.

O

OLDDOG

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) does not improve his form soon, then we may still see Ioane at 13. He defended in the front line against Samoa and didn't look out of place.

fuck me, but am i wrong in agreeing with this? digby is a great 13, carves up heaps, leave JOC (James O'Connor) and drew on the wings, KB (Kurtley Beale) 15, = dream team no??????

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I think he failed there when he had a few runs there for the Reds. He tackled OK but often misread the situation and wasn't it the right spot to tackle.

I'm not too convinced I am right as the memory fails sometimes. Anybody?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I can't remember too many misreads by Digby playing at 13. I think the biggest hang up on the thought is that sre piece move against Ireland which cost us the game is a sticking point in a lot of people memories, which he definitely misread.

T

tranquility

I think he failed there when he had a few runs there for the Reds. He tackled OK but often misread the situation and wasn't it the right spot to tackle.

I'm not too convinced I am right as the memory fails sometimes. Anybody?

Yeah I will take a stab.

I think the defensive issues that he is alleged to have are a myth that have stemmed from when Brian O'Driscoll beat us on the buzzer in Ireland.
I don't have an issue with Diggers at 13, and I think he is a realistic candidate for the role, even in time for this world cup. My only issue is that he is not a great passer of the ball, and even when he gets in space and has plenty of time he doesn't like to pass.

However he can't kick either, so do you prefer a back three player who can't kick? or a center who can't pass? His other talents don't really need summarising.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Mitchell is not back, has not being considered for the squad at this stage.
When he comes back it will be from a serious leg injury. Speed, strength and confidence all down, he is not going to replace JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing before the WC and not likely during. Deans wants JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing, Mitchell will have to come back via a bench spot or through an injury - Digby is the most prone of recent past amongst the outside backs

Mitchell was just on Twitter.. "I'm officially running again..completed my first running session unassisted at 100% of my body weight.. Next week I'll be running on grass"

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Who goes where if Mitchell is fit in RWC - my pick post TN1.

My 2c - the midfield is set. It wasn't perfect but it delivered. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) showed us the form. I swear that man is transformed in the gold jersey. McCabe again showed hard D and some good runs. Was Ioane not JO'C coming in, and he did it excellently, which just made decisions harder.

My (cracked) crystal ball says

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 McCabe
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 JO'C
15 Beale

21 Burgess, (Giteau, Phipps)
22 Mitchell (BB)

Assuming BB. (/plug It's not too late to call Tom Carter Robbie. He'd bring some steel to your D if we need to keep the gate shut /end plug)

Assuming Mitchell's form grows, one of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Ioane dropped to bench as eliminations get near. Can't see it being McCabe due to the significantly better D he brings, unless it's by Anthony Fainga'a.

What is everyone else' predictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.