• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NZ domestic competitions 2018

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Akira was much better in the second 40 as was the whole team. Auckland have started the season nicely. New coaching set up is doing well so far. Fukofuka at 9 has had two excellent games in a row.

Yep he was better in 2nd half, but the not putting in for parts of games is why he is not in AB squad, he is capable of so much ,but seems to be mentally lazy, and so goes missing. As I said watching him jog along after Rene Ranger, compare to someone like the Ranga a lock for Taniwha chasing down a winger!!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Taranaki just good enough to hold off Counties Manukau who've now lost all three of their matches by seven points or less:

Double-up rounds have started, 'naki get Northland on Sunday & CM get Hawks Bay.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Haven't seen any of their matches, but Auckland seem to be a whole heap better than the utter shambles of the last few years? How has Harry Plumber gone at first five?

Also read that the Papali'i/Gibson/Ioane trio have been playing well. They really should be the Blues loose forward unit until, at least, 2023.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Auckland are indeed much much better this year than the last two years under Nick White.

You can pretty much completely put this down to coaching (which then feeds through to selection). Graham Henry, Tai Lavea looking after the backs, Filo Tiatia the forwards, a new scrum coach and Ieremia looking after the whole thing.

Plummer is going well at 10. Especially as the backline is very young. He doesnt mind mixing up the tough stuff. He's not making superstar plays and he still makes the odd error but in general he's smart player who looks to have time when he plays and makes some heads up plays. Still developing but promising.

Papali'i is some player. If he keeps playing like this he may be an AB before the year is out.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Agree about Plummer KiwiM, he looks not bad, seems quite comfortable at this level, and will be interesting to see if he carries on and shows enough to step up to super rugby. Papali'i certainly looks pretty good, and think he has been quite good at super level when he has played there, still a bit concerned about Akira, he just doesn't look real hungry to me, not really doing much wrong, but seems to lack urgency.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Wellington far too strong for Southland who look destined for the wooden spoon:

MOTR tonight, Harbour v Mako, who're both 2/2, at 17:35 AEST.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
3/4-time Steamers 19-21 Cantabs & I'm sensing a boil over. Nek minnit, Penalty Try & late PG Cantabs, FT 19-31.

Cockroach-like those damn Cantabs.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Heartland Championship second week results:

West Coast 21 (Tom Reekie, Brad Tauwhare, penalty try; Reekie con, Oliver Dimmick con) Wanganui 33 (Dane Whale 2, Kamipeli Latu, Angus Middleton, Craig Clare tries; Clare 4 con).

Wairarapa Bush 32 (Nick Olson, Epeli Rayaqayaqa, penalty try, James Goodger tries; Glen Walters 2 con, 2 pen) Thames Valley 44 (Sam McCahon 2, Jesse Dodunski, Christian Kelleher, Kieran Lee, Ben Bonnar tries; Reece Broughton 2 con, 4 pen).

Buller 28 (James Lash, Maifea Feso, Michael Wells tries; Wells 2 con, 3 pen) King Country 30 (Dean Church 3, Chulailynn Mabbett-Sowerby tries; Euan Reihana 2 con, 2 pen).

South Canterbury 40 (Setefano Sauqaqa, Shayne Anderson 2, Kalavini Leatigaga, Zac Saunders, Nick Strachan tries; Daniel Dorgan 5 con) Poverty Bay 11 (Matt Raleigh try; Ethine Reeves 2 pen)

Mid Canterbury 33 (Dan Fransen 2, Tom Heywood, Timoci Nabakeke, Seta Koroitamana tries; Andrew Letham 4 con) North Otago 34 (Josh Buckham, Ralph Darling, Inoke Naufahu, Junior Fakatoufifita, Simon Lilicama tries; Buckham 3 con, pen)

East Coast 8 (scorers not provided) Horowhenua Kapiti 46 (Timoci Serawalu 2, Willie Paia'aua 2, Kane Tamou, Stewart MacGregor tries; Trent Reti 5 con, 2 pen).

Good to see mighty 'nua recover from last weeks attack of the yips.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
All aboard the Mako train:

Frizell had another strong game. I'm beginning to think that maybe the AB selectors know a good prospect 6 when they see one :)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
All aboard the Mako train:

Frizell had another strong game. I'm beginning to think that maybe the AB selectors know a good prospect 6 when they see one :)

Shush WOB, don't let DP or zer0 hear you say that, christ next you will be like me and think that Akira has to learn to play for full game before AB selectors pick him;). By geez the Mako are looking bloody good, looking forward to their game on friday against the Auks! Young Jordan looks not to bad doesn't he? I only saw to halftime but I think Lomax is starting to show why he is rated too!

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Taniwha knock over the Naki on fulltime 19-18, thoroughly enjoyed the match. Plenty of niggle and a few quiet shots to welcome young fellas to the comp.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)

Because he played at 8?

I think Mako are the favourites for the title at this rate. As much as Auckland have improved I think Tasman will be a step too far this Friday. I think Tasman's front row will cause Auckland problems and Tasman will have a bit too much class in positions 9,10,15. Should be a good game though.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Also just noticed Scrafton isn't in the Auckland squad. WTF kind of damage did he do to himself back in Super Rugby preseason?

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Also just noticed Scrafton isn't in the Auckland squad. WTF kind of damage did he do to himself back in Super Rugby preseason?

He played for the Blues this year. Wrecked himself early on (vs the Lions in JoBurg I think).