• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NZ domestic competitions 2018

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
After ~45 years of loyally supporting the Cantabs through good & bad years (they once stayed in Division 1 only because there had to be three South Island teams in it) I've finally burnt my boats, taken the plunge & ordered my Tasman Mako supporters' jersey.

Shoulda done it years ago but the pain of 'nua being ripped off in the 1992 NPC Div 3 Final, which Nelson Bays, who are now half of the Tasman JV along with Marlborough, won as a result of some diabolical reffing & touch judging, was just too strong, I guess.

As Cato the Elder would doubtless have said had he been a rugby freak:

"Cantuaria delenda est!"

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
After ~45 years of loyally supporting the Cantabs through good & bad years (they once stayed in Division 1 only because there had to be three South Island teams in it) I've finally burnt my boats, taken the plunge & ordered my Tasman Mako supporters' jersey.

Shoulda done it years ago but the pain of 'nua being ripped off in the 1992 NPC Div 3 Final, which Nelson Bays, who are now half of the Tasman JV along with Marlborough, won as a result of some diabolical reffing & touch judging, was just too strong, I guess.

As Cato the Elder would doubtless have said had he been a rugby freak:

"Cantuaria delenda est!"

Geez WOB, that's a huge move to change jersey, still we know like me you will always support the Mighty Nua in the Heartland Comp!!! Mind you I have to admit I haven't got a real hard and fast team in Mitre 10 cup, I have followed the W'gton Lions since living there in the 70s, but also always got a soft spot for Manawatu, and think that goes back to starting school in Manakau, so Manawatu was similar name I think!! Still remember them having a song to the tune of 'Click go the Shears' when they were playing for the Shield!!
PS have to think the the Mako are good to support as Nelson is one of places at the back of our minds when we return to The land of the Long White Cloud in a few years!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Mako no.8 Vernon Fredericks looks to have done some major damage to his shoulder. Son-of-Todd to 8, some blow-in from Auckland to 6. Cantabs on a warning already. They have, to coin a phrase, been doing it ALL DAY REF!

EDIT: Tasman shoulda taken the 3 there.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
The blow-in from Auckland proves he's a dead-set future Mako legend by splitting the Cantab D close to the ruck, makes ~30m & lays the platform from which they eventually score. 10-0 & Cantabs are as they say lucky to have 0!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Tasman score first after HT, Andrew Makalio with the bust & final pass, 15-3 & just a hint of Cantab blood in the water......

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Just as I'm wondering where da fuck is Alaimalo he gets himself on the end of a pearler of a pass to score. It's now 22-3 & there's defo some blood in the water now.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Highlights:

Had to get a handle on how good Tasman were, given the Cantabs were pretty awful for most of the match. But beating the defending champions in Round 1 is a pretty good way to start the season: it's the first time since 2012 the Cantabs have lost first up.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
By geez The Mako beat them up in the forwards! Agree about Son Of Toddy, I been a fan for a fair while, yep and Lomax might start showing he is more them potential! After a few games that Mako backline is going to really bloody good, always takes a few games to really bed in these backlines. Apparently the gun young 10 from TSS is going to be based in Nelson to WOB, and take my word I watching him every week, he could be quite handy in a couple of years!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^ yeah if I'm the Cantab coach I'm worried about the easy metres in behind the ruck that Makalio & others were able to make. Also the lineout was a shambles & they got schooled in the scrums. Mako probably needed more from their 9 & to get more ball to Alaimalo.

Re: Parata I think the reaction from QRU & RA says it all (though I still maintain they've got zero grounds).

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^ yeah if I'm the Cantab coach I'm worried about the easy metres in behind the ruck that Makalio & others were able to make. Also the lineout was a shambles & they got schooled in the scrums. Mako probably needed more from their 9 & to get more ball to Alaimalo.

Re: Parata I think the reaction from QRU & RA says it all (though I still maintain they've got zero grounds).

Has there been a reaction from ARU and QRU?

And yep didn't Quentin Strange look like he almost knew the Cantabs lineout calls, he was another who had a huge game!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Didn't see any of yesterday's games due to working & being struck down by a nasty tummy bug (probably the last of the Red & Black leaving the system by both the northern & southern exits :)):

Anyhoo here's the highlights:

May not see much today, either, as we're having a BBQ lunch for our nephew who's heading back to Straya in the morning. There's a slight possibility of an impromptu card game ensuing in which case I may be able to sneak downstairs while everyone else is arguing about how their partner(s) shoulda played the hand :).

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
That's a nice brace of tries from the Ballymore kid for Manawatu. I didn't realise he was playing across the ditch. Good luck to the man and I hope he can crack a soup team again.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Why isn't Vince Aso in the Auckland squad? I'd say injured, but I can't find anything about it.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^ broke his wrist back in May but you'd think he'd be OK by now. Coupla stories doing the rounds that Shag is checking on his injury status but he'd surely be down the list behind Laumape & AL-B at least.