• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NZ domestic competitions 2018

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
So there's a new trophy out there, the Chiefs Country Trophy which will be contested by the four M10 sides in the Chiefs region (Counties Manukau, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Taranaki). Current holders BoP after their win v 'naki last week & it's up for grabs away as well as at home. Wonder if it might lead to them exhuming the Coronation Shield further up SH1? Used to be a big deal pre-NPC esp on those occasions Auckland didn't hold the Ranfurly Shield.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Highlights (says Round 1 but it's actually last night):

The Bay are on fire!

Ranfurly Shield tonight & plenty of people talking up Manawatu's chances: they're clearly underestimating how a Shield holder lifts to defend it. Turbos still a chance of lifting it but no way will 'naki be as poor as they were last week.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Really looking forward to the Shield game, much as I would be liking Manawatu winning the shield , I do agree WOB, the holders always lift when it a defence! It still got a bit of it's magic!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
If anyone's watching 'naki v 'tu & wondering why the grandstand looks empty it's 'cos it is empty, having been declared an earthquake risk. The grandstand on the near side camera-wise is also empty, having also been deemed an earthquake risk. Players would've gotten changed in a prefab out behind the stand & post-match two at a time per team will be able to avail themselves of the ice baths that began life as wheelie bins. I shit you not. Oh but we'll just plonk one of NZ's seven post-Super Rugby Trans-Tasman comp teams there, eh.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
About to get ugly for Turbos, I feel. Time to start working out who needs to knock the buggers off so Mako get a shot.

EDIT: a quick scan of the draw suggests it ain't gonna happen this year. Also that Cantabs don't get a shot either which is strange as 'naki won it down there last year so you'd think they'd be hosting the return fixture this year. Oh well, it's only the Cantabs so who cares.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Those were a couple of good games, particularly the Otago/Magpies game, really enjoyed it! Geez gareth Evans certainly carried on from Super rugby!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^ yep, with Todd in Japan he's who I'd be taking on EOYT as backup to Cane & Ardie. The fact he also plays 8 is a big bonus, too, as it means you can leave Luke Whitelock at home & take Akira instead. None of which will happen, of course, 'cos Evans hasn't followed The Pathway.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Cantabs 27-20 Wellington after being 22-7 at HT so a real game of two halves it would seem.

Heartland scores:

Wanganui 21 (Gabe Hakaria, Simon Dibben tries; Craig Clare con, 3 pen) South Canterbury 10 (Garret Casey try; Theo Davidson con; Willie Wright pen). HT:3-3

King Country 75 (Declan Barnett 3, Dean Church 3 , Sam Warden, Shilo Cullen, Alex Thrupp, Evans Reihana, Ratu Vosaki tries; Reihana 7 con, 2 pen) East Coast 17 (Jack Richardson , Hakararangi Tichborne 2 tries; Ngarangi Harewa con)

Poverty Bay 27 (Kelvin Smith, Te Peehi Fairlie 2, Andrew Petelo tries; Ethine Reeves 2 con, pen) Wairarapa Bush 22 (T Flutey, N Hohepa, G Walters tries; Walters 2 con, pen)

Thames Valley 25 (Shaun Hill, Sam McCahon, Kerrin Lee tries; Reece Broughton 2 con, 2 pen) West Coast 27 ( not provided )

North Otago 30 (Ralph Darling, Simon Lilicama, Pita Sinanoni tries; Josh Buckham 3 con, 3 pen) Buller 24 (Robbie Malneek 2, Iliesa Ravudra, Jack Best tries; James Lash 2 con)

Horowhenua Kapiti 24 (James So'oialo, Himiona Henare, Willie Paia'aua, Michael Fermanis tries; So'oialo 2 con) Mid Canterbury 30 ( Brian Matormusha, Isireli, Masiwini, Timoci Nabakeke, Eric Duff tries; Jarred Percival 2 con, 2 pen). HT: 7-27

Clearly a 17-point wind in Foxton today :)

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
That's a nice brace of tries from the Ballymore kid for Manawatu. I didn't realise he was playing across the ditch. Good luck to the man and I hope he can crack a soup team again.
Heard his going well over there they should bring back the ballymore kid great incentive

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
By geez, watching the Taniwha/Auks game, and a question to all the Akira fan bois, are you watching and if not record it and watch the first half, and then when you wonder how someone like Flukey Luke gets in the ABs ahead of Akira, watch it again!! Jeff wilson has been parroting me, he asked is Akira on the field, he is because I saw him jogging behind the Tanwha backs as Rene Ranger scored his try!! I can accept the play doesn't go your way, but you have to look interested, and even if he storms the house down in 2nd half he has already shown why he not an AB!! FFS he rates as one of the most frustrating players going around, is it the Blues syndrome?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^ mate you're all but implying that the AB selectors know more about footy than your average G&GR'r. Clearly an error on your part!

Anyways here's some video that may or may not bolster your argument:

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Akira was much better in the second 40 as was the whole team. Auckland have started the season nicely. New coaching set up is doing well so far. Fukofuka at 9 has had two excellent games in a row.