• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
With winterstein - does anyone know where he goes to school? Everyone (almost universal) seems down on the SJRU selctors for leaving him out of Sydney, but no-one mentions his ommision from schools. Will be able to understand if he is at school with zero sporting effort, but otherwise...

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Moth...I think that the School's strengths lay in their halves, centres and front three. They also have Kellaway at the back.

As for Sydney I really like their potential loosies - Morris, McCalman and Orr who will deliver them plenty of ball and they've got some real speed out wide but would have really benefitted if Winterstein had been chosen as well. The slimmed down and much fitter Afele will also create plenty of havoc both up the middle and on the fringes if given opportunities there. They also have Jones at the back.

As we all know it's a game about possession and then what you do with it when you have it. If the School's forwards can deliver an equal share of possession and give it in clean ball Davis and Deegan will unleash hell out wide through Morgan, Moreoa and Kellaway and Schools will win well. If the Sydney forwards, particularly the loosies can dominate at the breakdown and ensure that Schools get dirty ball it will make it very interesting. That said Davis is by far the best U16 halfback in the State and has displayed in the past a rare ability to deal with any situation.

Any really big one on one match ups?

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
They'll be good match ups but I'd be throwing Country's Tulloch and Andrews into the equation as "the best 5/8's in the State"
Dunno about Tulloch he hasnt been playing alot of 5/8 in rep footy though he is a very good player. Ive never seen Andrews play..

D

Dingdong

Dunno about Tulloch he hasnt been playing alot of 5/8 in rep footy though he is a very good player. Ive never seen Andrews play..

So glad the talks all about rugby again. I'll jump in here. IMO there's a bees dick between Tulloch and Andrews. Both have been the backbone and strength of the country backline since under 14's. 2 very talented boys, both absolutely have to be in the starting line up. Andrews no where near as good as Tulloch at 12 so Tulloch looses out again. If I was the coach of Country , I'ld do the same ( play Tulloch at 12, Andrew at 10). I've made it clear in previous posts that I'm a Jamo fan, but what I will say is Nic Andrews at 10 is the key to Country beating city this year. Country will already be working on ways to get Andrews 1 on 1 with Jamo and unless Jamo's defence improves,country will make inroads there. Sooner or late those inroads will convert to points. Delore is a massive loss for country(schools gain). With him in the team I would have backed Country, without him it makes it that much harderfor Country, but not impossible.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
So glad the talks all about rugby again. I'll jump in here. IMO theres a bees dick between Tulloch and Andrews.Both have been the backbone and strength of country backline since under 14's. 2 very talented boys, both absolutely have to be in the starting line up. Andrews no where near as good as Tulloch at 12 so Tulloch looses out again. If I was coach of Country , I'ld do the same ( play Tulloch at 12). I've made it clear in previous posts that I'm a Jamo fan,but what I will say is Andrews at 10 is the key to Country beating city this year. Country will already be working on ways to get Andrews Andrews loves to repeatedly test the opposing 5/8 defence
I dont recall seeing Andrews play, what are his strengths and weaknesses?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
...the GPS is the strongest schoolboys rugby competition in NSW - the history of the NSW Schools competition evidences that. Would the game both generally and at schoolboys level be better off if all other Schools Associations had equally strong competitions? Absolutely! The fact however is that they don't - why? - because many of them adopted league as their code of choice for school winter sport and otherwise they don't or can't invest the time, energy and financial and human resources in rugby that GPS has done since 1892. That's right an investment in rugby for nearly 120 years! Thank god for the game that 120 years ago they chose rugby as their winter sport of choice rather than football (soccer).

It was a close run thing between rugby and the "Victorian game" at some Sydney schools in the 1890s. In fact Joeys and Riverview DID play Australian Football as their code of choice in that time.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
So glad the talks all about rugby again. I'll jump in here. IMO there's a bees dick between Tulloch and Andrews. Both have been the backbone and strength of the country backline since under 14's. 2 very talented boys, both absolutely have to be in the starting line up. Andrews no where near as good as Tulloch at 12 so Tulloch looses out again. If I was the coach of Country , I'ld do the same ( play Tulloch at 12, Andrew at 10). I've made it clear in previous posts that I'm a Jamo fan, but what I will say is Nic Andrews at 10 is the key to Country beating city this year. Country will already be working on ways to get Andrews 1 on 1 with Jamo and unless Jamo's defence improves,country will make inroads there. Sooner or late those inroads will convert to points. Delore is a massive loss for country(schools gain). With him in the team I would have backed Country, without him it makes it that much harderfor Country, but not impossible.

How do you rate Country's forwards Dingdong - particularly the backrow? Seems to me MacDougall at 4 has worked after losing Hawkins - still gives speed 6,7 & 8 and adds Macdougall's overall "field presence". Andrews & Tulloch will not have the impact if they can't win any ball - I'm confident they can, but the defence at 10 & 12 will get a work out as well. Mind you , I reckon they're up to it, but Country can't afford to expect Tulloch to cover them everywhere! He was great at 15 at Regionals covering for Delore - now he (Delore) is gone and Tulloch should go to 12 - I like your pick of Carter at 15 in this case (Newey really hasn't had a lot of opportunity and should go OK at 15). But the "scroungers" will be key IMO! Comments one & all!

C

cold coffee

With winterstein - does anyone know where he goes to school? Everyone (almost universal) seems down on the SJRU selctors for leaving him out of Sydney, but no-one mentions his ommision from schools. Will be able to understand if he is at school with zero sporting effort, but otherwise...

It is my understanding Trent goes to St Agnes Catholic High School at Rooty Hill... Sydney could of used him trying to hold back Tepai, Morgan and AK (Andrew Kellaway) from schools. His tackling technique is execptional for a player of his size.....
In my opinion the other selection blunders Sydney have made are leaving out George Taufa, Iona Taiki and Niu Tupou. You may recall Niu played fullback and wing in the CHS side.As well as being a great defender his running game is fearless.

Im putting my log cabin on NSW Schools..........

D

Dingdong

How do you rate Country's forwards Dingdong - particularly the backrow? Seems to me MacDougall at 4 has worked after losing Hawkins - still gives speed 6,7 & 8 and adds Macdougall's overall "field presence". Andrews & Tulloch will not have the impact if they can't win any ball - I'm confident they can, but the defence at 10 & 12 will get a work out as well. Mind you , I reckon they're up to it, but Country can't afford to expect Tulloch to cover them everywhere! He was great at 15 at Regionals covering for Delore - now he (Delore) is gone and Tulloch should go to 12 - I like your pick of Carter at 15 in this case (Newey really hasn't had a lot of opportunity and should go OK at 15). But the "scroungers" will be key IMO! Comments one & all!

I initially expected the loss of Sandell, Pannisi,Crossly.Hardy and Hawkins would have had a much bigger impact on the team (at regionals)than it has. In saying that, I also think the Zones weren't as strong this year either. Country will be encouraged by the fact that only 1 player from the only forward pack who got on top of them (Barbarians), made the City team.

Country's forwards this year are an extremely hard working group who continually provide good ball to the backs. I had McDougal penciled in for the schools team as a flanker and still think he would be best at 6 for country but he looks like being a casuallty of the "Tulloch syndrome". With Mill, Hefron and Papworth at 6,7 and 8, McDougalin becomes best suited to play at 4. What an interesting character Mill is. His ( 60 something Kilo frame) is simply not entiltled to have the impact he does in games. His speed, strength, tennacity and technical knowledge makes him a must starter for any country team.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just to stimulate some more discussion - Best U16 squad (of 25) in the State if all players were fit and available to play?

I see only three as absolute certainties in starting positions.

1. Sandell
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. Davis
10. ?
11. ?
12. ?
13. Kellaway
14. ?
15. ?
16. ?
17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. ?
23. ?
24. ?
25. ?

T

tzimmy

Yes what i am saying is that Finn on his day will beat Clark on his day, Deegan on his day and anyone else you want to throw in there.

C

cold coffee

Just to stimulate some more discussion - Best U16 squad (of 25) in the State if all players were fit and available to play?

I see only three as absolute certainties in starting positions.

1. Sandell
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ? George Taufa....
7. ?
8. ?
9. Davis
10. ? Deegan ....without question if you actually want to use the outside backs
11. ? Ah-Cheung .... (fyi...his injury is a hamstring)
12. ? Tepai Moeroa....
13. Kellaway.... I would prefer AK (Andrew Kellaway) at fullback ... and have Morgan or Winterstein at 13..
14. ?
15. ?
16. ?
17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. ?
23. ?
24. ?
25. ?

Have added a couple of names here....just food for thought !

Status
Not open for further replies.