• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
Pompous eh!.....mmm.....I'm really tempted to respond with an acerbic comment about the level of your intelligence no9 but in the interest the love-in that has developed in more recent posts I'll just shoulder arms and let that one land gently in the keepers gloves.

Whilst I appreciate that it galls you, the GPS is the strongest schoolboys rugby competition in NSW -the history of the NSW Schools competition evidences that.

Would the game both genrally and at schoolboys level be better off if all other Schools Associations had equally strong competitions? Absolutely! The fact however is that they don't - why? - because many of them adopted league as their code of choice for school winter sport and otherwise they don't or can't invest the time, energy and financial and human resources in rugby that GPS has done since 1892. That's right an investment in rugby for nearly 120 years! Thank god for the game that 120 years ago they chose rugby as their winter sport of choice rather than football (soccer).

Does that mean you will change to CROUCH-TOUCH-PAUSE-EXPLODE!

Bill McLean (32)
Clarification

No a fact - he handles 15As - nought to do with 16s

MOTH,

I accept that Barkell officially has nothing to do with the 16's, however (and I didn't say this clearly enough in my earlier post, so please accept my apologies) but the message I was trying to convey was that it is my understanding that Barkell has input and/or a say into Trinity's rugby program as a whole (if not CAS'). Though I cannot reveal my source, I have it on good authority that prior to Regional's (possibly even Schools) Barkell was already favouring the selection of certain Trinity players for certain positions in the SJRU team!

As per my previous statements, how could any coach exclude the likes of Winterstein, Taiki, Taufa and company? They were clearly among the best players at Regional and as a consequence I would like someone to explain to me how the same were not selected! As it stands certain other players were selected, and the same are coincidentally from CAS schools. Essentially CAS faltered at School's, and those of its players who had a second chance at Regional (and there were many), did not out-perform the players that I have nominated as worthy of selection in the SJRU team!

Ultimately all questions will be answered at the National Championship, however the cost is already being borne by grass roots rugby, a cost it can ill afford! Let me explain!

After Regional my associates (as per the norm) spoke with the lads they look after to gauge that respective boy's self evaluation of their perform. This interaction often leads to discussions about other players and their respective positions. As most in this site are probably aware most of the top players are now generally good mates and are in constant communication with each other via social media outlets such as 'Face Book'.

Generally speaking 16 years of age is when most lads of dual code representative ability make a decision to either stay with rugby or go to league. Given that rugby is always in a constant battle with league for the hearts and minds of such players, why does rugby always seem to disenfranchise these talented players whereby the same see no alternative but to go to league for representative recognition.

As it stands it I have it on good authority that those players mentioned above (that were unjustly ignored by SJRU selectors) will now move to league because they are tired of the politics within rugby (their quotes not mine)! Let's take young Winterstein as a good example. He has been on the scene for a few years now can play well in both codes, but prefers rugby so I am led to believe! According to a few commentators within western Sydney junior league he was unfortunate not to make the final cut for the Penrith HMC team this year. Nevertheless he was picked up by the Western Sydney Academy of Sport HMC team and had a good season!

For those that have seen Wintersein play he is fast, elusive and most importantly, he is tenacious in defence! He is afraid of no-one and often puts his 'BODY ON THE LINE' to make the those difficult tackles on much larger opponents. He did this against Morgan at Regional and as most know the former is not an easy player to bring down! Winterstein made it look easy and smashed him in a copy-book tackle! Better still, look at some of the tries he scored at Regional!

Well I have been informed that the lad will now pull the plug on rugby and concentrate on league in the future, and justifiably so! At least he has recognition there and his performances will always be noted. But if he does gon all I can say is 'what a loss'! We are already seeing a player drain in the ranks of junior rugby and it does not have to be the case! Maybe Barkell didn't think he was good enough, or he had valid reason for not selecting Winterstein, if so why couldn't the same be communicated to the boys so that he may prevail with rugby and take on board such comments in order to have another go at next year's State Championship! League does this for its fringe players that just miss out on representative honours! Admittedly they too don't always get it right, but generally speaking they at least communicate the reasons!

Regards,
Newbie.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Let's take young Winterstein as a good example. He has been on the scene for a few years now can play well in both codes, but prefers rugby so I am led to believe! According to a few commentators within western Sydney junior league he was unfortunate not to make the final cut for the Penrith HMC team this year. Nevertheless he was picked up by the Western Sydney Academy of Sport HMC team and had a good season!

For those that have seen Wintersein play he is fast, elusive and most importantly, he is tenacious in defence! He is afraid of no-one and often puts his 'BODY ON THE LINE' to make the those difficult tackles on much larger opponents. He did this against Morgan at Regional and as most know the former is not an easy player to bring down! Winterstein made it look easy and smashed him in a copy-book tackle! Better still, look at some of the tries he scored at Regional!

He is an outstanding young talent and certainly deserved selection in the SJRU U16 team - the thing I really liked about him at the Regionals was his consistency as he was a real stand out in both attack and particularly in defence in all of his games. I didn't see him at the School Champs - did he not trial, was he unavailable or did he miss out there too?

M

magpie4ever

I dare you

Guys - some of the posts here border on accusations of bias - and some are over the border.

Rather than sift through them and zapping or transferring them to the politics and bias thread I'll let them go - but any future posts that have matters pertaining to bias or unfairness in selections will be zapped out of hand even though they might be just a few words in a post.

Thank you.

WTF, this site started off as "No Schools in U16s State Titles" and most of the posts were about how to expand the player base for this age group and the perceived issues that hindered this.

I'm put up a proposal to take the bias out of the selection process for players and how to select the best coach. So what happened after that, the "GPS is the greatest" bloggers - "DD & Rara" started a personally abusive attack on this magpie. So, I asked for some intellectual comments - both positive and negative. Only "Dermo & I like to Watch" offered any, what I perceive to be, constructive comments/ideas.

Even his master, the great Lord Newbie backed off quicker then an Italian tank.

Now some Cyber Overlord (yes, you Lee Grant - who from other posts is GPS through & through) is telling the populace what we can & can't post. No, thank you, I will continue to speak out in the hope that the ARU is listening & until changes are made the 'Wallabies" will never gain the ability to consistently compete with the "All Blacks" and "Springbok" due to the shallow pool of players from the current system.

I’ll take umbrage to this: as a late great French magpie said; “whilst I might not agree with what you squawk, I will died defending your right to squawk it.”

Therefore, I dare you to zapp me for the masses of magpies will rise up around the cyber universe and overthrow such totalitarian control. Lee, it will be a "let them eat bird seed" moment for you.:angryfire:

R

rara10

I'm put up a proposal to take the bias out of the selection process for players and how to select the best coach. So what happened after that, the "GPS is the greatest" bloggers - "DD & Rara" started a personally abusive attack on this magpie. So, I asked for some intellectual comments - both positive and negative. Only "Dermo & I like to Watch" offered any, what I perceive to be, constructive comments/ideas.

Maggie go back and read who of the two us started the personal attacks. And do it before Lee does what You dared him to do.

M

magpie4ever

Maggie go back and read who of the two us started the personal attacks. And do it before Lee does what You dared him to do.

So "crap' and "not worth a comment" are constructive comments.

R

rara10

Ok rara, tell us whether my proposal would or wouldn't work and why?

As I stated in my post after you put your proposal forward. I thought the ARU wanted to do something similar and I said It could be worth a try. Now before you go off about the ARU I am referring to the idea not to who administers it forget the JGS and NTS as I said boys from schools clubs and other codes.
So yes it could be worth a try

R

rara10

Guys
I have been thinking about all this and if we take all the emotion out of it and break it down to find the base cause we might have to shift our energy and anger. Where does it truly belong? The current system is a product of the evolution of school rugby. If we look at the CHS, ACIES, CCC, ISA, and Country Schools systems and ask ourselves what kind of competition are they providing and developing for our kids to play in weekly. The answer in most cases is none. Should we start there? I am sure if these associations had a healthy competition their teams would be far stronger come the school trials, both in its current or any other format. The fact is putting everything else aside the GPS kids play Rugby week in and week out at a reasonable level. If we could get the other associations to try and develop rugby within their sporting curriculum we might find the system might change itself as GPS would not be as dominant. People keep comparing NZ school rugby and how they do it but they are forgetting that the school rugby competition is a religion over there league takes a back seat. The same can be said for where I went to school in the north of England. Here League is the code of choice for most of these associations but not GPS and CAS. So how do these two schools fair in school league selections? I am asking that as I do not know never having had any thing to do with league.
It will probably fire everyone up again but should we be looking in our own back yard first.

I am a bit surprised that my thoughts from earlier have not attracted any comment. Perhaps it is not controversial enough. Or maybe it’s to close to the truth.

M

magpie4ever

As I stated in my post after you put your proposal forward. I thought the ARU wanted to do something similar and I said It could be worth a try. Now before you go off about the ARU I am referring to the idea not to who administers it forget the JGS and NTS as I said boys from schools clubs and other codes.
So yes it could be worth a try

I agree, any players in JGS and NTS will need to be selected via the school associations (6) or the club squads (2).

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
Mags,Rara, come on lads you are both better than this your past postings prove it. Grab some nails and a hammer build a bridge and get over yourselves.

M

magpie4ever

I am a bit surprised that my thoughts from earlier have not attracted any comment. Perhaps it is not controversial enough. Or maybe it’s to close to the truth.

I don't believe you will ever get the Catholic School System to walk way from their rugby league sport comps; you need to think lateral if union wants to increase its rep player base.

C

cold coffee

MOTH,

I accept that Barkell officially has nothing to do with the 16's, however (and I didn't say this clearly enough in my earlier post, so please accept my apologies) but the message I was trying to convey was that it is my understanding that Barkell has input and/or a say int.................

Just reading this Newbes you couldnt be anymore on the money... my son too is on facebook with these fellas and i can confirm the loss to league. I spoke to the Baa Baa coach Richardson and suggested we run with a Barbarian team with whats left....

kiwi playing in Oz

Allen Oxlade (6)
MOTH,

Well I have been informed that the lad will now pull the plug on rugby and concentrate on league in the future, and justifiably so! At least he has recognition there and his performances will always be noted. But if he does gon all I can say is 'what a loss'! We are already seeing a player drain in the ranks of junior rugby and it does not have to be the case! Maybe Barkell didn't think he was good enough, or he had valid reason for not selecting Winterstein, if so why couldn't the same be communicated to the boys so that he may prevail with rugby and take on board such comments in order to have another go at next year's State Championship! League does this for its fringe players that just miss out on representative honours! Admittedly they too don't always get it right, but generally speaking they at least communicate the reasons!

Regards,
Newbie.

I have said previously to show transparency in the system players need to be able to ask and be told why they weren't selected and what areas of their game need to be developed. What happened to Cale Angeloni? Did he get injured or is another casualty of the selection process?

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
MOTH,

... I was trying to convey was that it is my understanding that Barkell has input and/or a say into Trinity's rugby program as a whole (if not CAS').

Regards,
Newbie.

Newbie - you are incorrect and infalmatory comments like this could even be considered libelous - you as a supposed man on the law should recognise this, or do you hide behind your online annonimity to just tip on people who don't kowtow to you or share your opinion.

I've just trawled the Trinity web page - so for the record:

John Allen (Co-coach 1st XV) Sportsmaster
Brad Barr (coach of 4th XV) master in charge of Rugby
Lachlan White (coach 16A XV) director of Rugby Coaching
Peter Gibson - (Co-coach 1st XV) - co coach NSW Schools II

Asked a boy i know who plays in the Trinity 16As (and a regular source of mine for things relating to that school) -

Q - "Who's Mr Barkell?"

A - "No idea - oh, hang on, he coaches the 15As and the prep school!"

It was also pointed out to me that in CAS competition 13s, 16s & Opens will play at the home school, whilst 14s & 15s play at the away school.

Bugger all opportunity then for the Barkell to even see ANY CAS U16 players in action, unless they are playing up in 1sts - but then I understand from other comments in this thread that he would have to nick off and fullfill his obligations to Norths Colts, so he doesn't even get to watch them there.

C

cold coffee

I have said previously to show transparency in the system players need to be able to ask and be told why they weren't selected and what areas of their game need to be developed. What happened to Cale Angeloni? Did he get injured or is another casualty of the selection process?

I can confirm that Angeloni is enroute to the Gold Coast with his club team - they have a small tour planned for these hoildays.. He will play fully fit !

Status
Not open for further replies.