• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sorry thats not correct. The Grammar 16As beat Newington 16Bs 22-0. They were not too bad though.

Comments from the crowd made it very evident they are not used to winning at all and don't quite know how to cope with it.
firstly the Grammar 16A's are rated...admittedly by the parents of the boys. Secondly they just got back from an undefeated tour of NZ - and it wasnt an orchestra tour!
Thirdly if they were a little more excited that one might expect that is because I gather they thought it was the New 16A's they beat!!!!

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
view didn't win a game on the number 1 field this week, it would seem joeys dominated the battle of the catholics

When Shore played them in the last trial, only the 2nds, 5ths and 8ths won in the opens, and last year, the opens went without a single win. It seems that Joeys have incredible depth throughout all teams.

K

kbw

firstly the Grammar 16A's are rated.admittedly by the parents of the boys. Secondly they just got back from an undefeated tour of NZ - and it wasnt an orchestra tour!
Thirdly if they were a little more excited that one might expect that is because I gather they thought it was the New 16A's they beat!!!!

I could send Newington or Sydney Boys 16As on a an undefeated NZ too if I picked the right schools.

I know a few of the Grammar boys and they are good kids, the team seem very tight, they most definitely deserved the win, but it was like they won the premiership

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
Shore vs. Kings was a great opening round match, that was evenly contested by both sides, big plays at crucial times being the difference.
The forwards were well matched, but Shore started to gain an advantage in the breakdown during the second half, seeming to always have an extra man than kings at each breakdown. Kings had a slightly better scrum, but Shore dominated the line out stealing crucial ball on their own 5 metre line twice. No standouts from the Shore pack, just a cohesive unit that seemed to play for each other more than the opposition.
The King's backline showed why they have three Australian schoolboys, they looked dangerous every time. Foketi & Jones beating countless first tackles, but were contained in the end by outstanding scrambling defence by Shore, in particular impressive tackles from 10 Clancy & 13 Arnold. I thought the Kings 10 ran the ball well but should have sought to find Foketi & Jones more as I think they may have scored a few more tries if they had gotten more ball. Angus Pulver had an outstanding game his return having a huge influence on the team, proving the difference in the last minute when he scored the winning try by sniping over the line. Ferris played well but didn't have as much of an influence as Pulver, the battle of the schoolboys halfbacks going to the Shore boy.
Standouts:
Kings --> 13, 14
Shore --> 9, 10, 13,
King's will obviously be throughly disappointed, scoring with 5 minutes to go to then concede in the last minute. They showed they have the quality to still challenge for a premiership, but need to fix their execution, perhaps expecting to walk over a Shore side that had lost to Joeys the week before, after Kings had smashed Scots. Kings will look to prove themselves against a Newington side that may struggle to find full speed after playing at a slower pace against Grammar.
Shore has the bye next round, and then plays Grammar in round three. After what some may call an upset, you would assume Shore will beat Grammar to be at least equal top in the competition after three rounds, something not many people would have expected. They also have 3 injured players to come back before the View game in round 4.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
view didn't win a game on the number 1 field this week, it would seem joeys dominated the battle of the catholics

Ah - the religious wars: the Marist Bros. v the Jesuits.

I heard that Boydie was happy at how the Ones played - hardly a scoop, but he can be hard to please.

Heard also that SJC recorded a win rate of 89% on Saturday, including every game in the 15s and 16s. Not bad against a school that always has a bigger number of boys.

Unfortunately, I was also told that there will be an investigation into an unsavoury on-field incident in the Ones game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Look on the bright side Lee a least the unsavoury incidents were confined to the pitch: not always the case when SJC play SIC, so i hear.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Joeys might be Catholics but Riverview are Jesuits. ;) It's always nice to see George Pell in attendance, ever ready to administer the last rites if required.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
It was a very busy weekend for me but now that I am back near a computer, I thought I would post my thoughts on the Joey's View game on Saturday.

First of all, congrats to the Joey's boys. A well deserved win. Riverview had some stars and some moments of brilliance but unlike last year, there is no cohesion and some serious coaching deficiencies.

View's line-out and scrum were terrible as was the shocking amount of handling errors. On the positive side, their first try was a thing of beauty and showcased that this team has the potential to upset some of the big teams in the coming weeks.

Joey's on the hand played like the Joey's teams of past decades, giving a masterclass in how to play rugby. Their forwards were lethal around the fringes, while their 10 showed a level of maturity rarely seen in schoolboys. He played field position perfectly, always keeping the game in Views half, while his outside backs were lightning and took every opportunity that came their way.

As a View fan it was disappointing not to see us get one up on the boys across the river, but as a rugby fan it was a fantastic spectacle. I had a friend who is an old-boy from Scotch college in Melbourne with me and he was shocked at the pace and skill level of the kids on the field.

A highly entertaining match and I look forward to seeing more in the weeks to come.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I too have Riverview allegiances and watched the game at the weekend.
Joeys outplayed Riverview in the front row, backrow and out wide. Both wingers were found wanting and surely the pace of the winger in the 2nds would be an asset as Wilde ran wild. Dempsey was not kept quiet he played poorly and spent a lot of time merely jogging around the field. The joeys backrow won a majority of the loose ball. Whitely had a good game but few of his much vaunted rep mates would go with him. I agree that there were coaching deficiencies as there appeared to be no plan B. Joeys backs were changing positions and setting up moves while Riverview maintained the same structure throughout and lacked any sign of flare. As for the replacement front row who played N0.8 in the 2nds? Size may make up for a lack of skill in the 16s but there is more to the game as one gets up in the grades. Having played backrow for many years I have never seen a NO.8 who can't get wide than the flyhalf in a game before!!

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Speaking of injuries, 14 for Kings (Harry Jones) was lame the entire game.....he is obviously a talent but I don't think they did themselves any favours by leaving him out there.

H

HarveyColon

Will be interesting in the 4th round when grammar head out to kings......I hope that Jones boy cops it for leaving grammar. He would have been a nice addition to the team..

G

gps guru

Unfortunately, I was also told that there will be an investigation into an unsavoury on-field incident in the Ones game.
Yes, I heard that as well. Maybe Riverview should feed their players before the game, and not make them wait until the Afternoon tea!

G

G-78-XV-V

I understand the table to be;

Shore............2
New..............2
Joeys............2
Scots (bye)...2

Kings............0
SGS/High......0
Iggies...........0

Status
Not open for further replies.