• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nanai

Just to re-emphasise my point... I think this backline would have a seriously good crack at any of the GPS backlines... and would run riot over the GPS 3rds backline. Don't have names for 6, 8.

Nanai's 'Best of the Rest' XV

1 / 3. The unselected SIC props
2. Not too many to pick from with 5 included in the GPS sides (still can't see why)... but Peter Barratt from SGS was a NSW 16s player last year, apparently.
4. Sinclair (Shore)
5. Coe (SGS)
6. (SIC)
7. Dempsey (SIC) (This boy is incredibly unlucky... He was Riverview's best against Scots)
8. (Shore)
9. Stenberg (TSC)
10. Cleaver (Shore) (Again, with 5 selected in GPS, it's a toughy...)
11. Streeter (Shore)
12. Ashby (SJC)
13. Atkinson (TSC)
14. Attard (SGS)
15. Tegart (SJC)

R

rugbywhisperer

If you're thinking about their star back, 12. Apolosi Latunipuli: he wasn't in Oz Schools last year; in fact the only state player Newington had in either NSW team was 2. Roach, who ended up as Oz Schools hooker and may do so again in 2010. Apolosi was in the GPS IIIs last year and has been picked for GPS Is for their game tomorrow against CAS.
He's a good player but is not a shoo-in for NSW Is as we have some good mid-fielders this year. I wish I could say that for other sectors of the likely NSW teams.

Well stuff me backward thru a chinese wall.
Apologies from me. I have just beeninformed by junior that at Armidale they introduced him as NSW centre - maybe putting out the vibes.
Anyway he looked good but obviously not your best stock from the top paddock.
Cheers

N

Nanai

Just looking at the GPS 1s, they'll really be relying on their forwards and centres against CAS tomorrow... their 9/10 and back 3 aren't all that scary.

Cam Clark from CAS has been included in the side after missing the first round against CHS with injury, he'll wreak havoc from fullback. HUGE talent. Ed Wylie is going to have to be on his game. Will be interesting to see how Tim Donlan goes without a team that's built around him, hopefully he won't be as quiet as last year. CAS centres A Anderson and A Fine are nothing to scoff at either.

GPS should be able to edge things in the forwards with the more physical pack and the Kings loose trio, who are exceptional.

I'm picking a close one, but I expect GPS to come out victors, if only by a couple of points.

D

Double V

Just looking at the GPS 1s, they'll really be relying on their forwards and centres against CAS tomorrow... their 9/10 and back 3 aren't all that scary.

Cam Clark from CAS has been included in the side after missing the first round against CHS with injury, he'll wreak havoc from fullback. HUGE talent. Ed Wylie is going to have to be on his game. Will be interesting to see how Tim Donlan goes without a team that's built around him, hopefully he won't be as quiet as last year. CAS centres A Anderson and A Fine are nothing to scoff at either.

GPS should be able to edge things in the forwards with the more physical pack and the Kings loose trio, who are exceptional.

I'm picking a close one, but I expect GPS to come out victors, if only by a couple of points.

In all honesty, the GPS team could be far more dangerous than it is. A few iffy selections here and there but overall they would arguably be the favourites heading into the match against CAS tomorrow. As you noted to, yes, the 9 and 10 aren't all that flash as they have been the past few years and I will probably be focusing more on the colossal battle that will (hopefully) occur ten metres parallel to them - in the centres.

The two centres for GPS are 13. Ingate (K) and 12. Apo (N), most probably the right choices. Both will be pushing for NSW I or II's spots, as will their counterparts from CAS 13. Fine (W) and 12. Anderson (W). These two work together extremely fluently in a Waverley outfit from what I have seen the past two years and easily match the GPS centres in rugby ability.

Cam Clarke is a real talent. From what I have seen from him his footwork and elusiveness is second to none - but his real test will come tomorrow. Has been injured for a large majority of the year through hamstring problems I hear. His defence is extremely solid too.

The battle in the forwards should be won by GPS due to their killer back-row and not too shabby front row. I think that the boys in red wont really be able to match GPS for the whole match in this department - look for GPS to dominate (although I'll gladly be proven wrong).

S

SMILF

Tim Donlan is not playing tomorrow as he rolled his ankle tonight at training, each halfback has now moved up a grade. hopefully he will be sweet for the CHS game

P

PhD96

You know it's interesting that the boys that play in 1sts and 2nds all have a genuine respect for their opponents and would never express negative opinions about them, let alone call them a really offensive name like a 'sp......'

Inevitably it'll be someone who's in the G's or some beer soaked old boy....

T

Thismybrotha

[Re: SMLF]

Don't bring that sportal bullcrap over here, this isn't a place for underachieving 14f's rugby players to smack talk 1st players who could crush their heads.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
I now have an image of Adam West's Batman wearing a Wallabies scarf. If I only had the photoshop skills.

N

Nanai

Tim Donlan is not playing tomorrow as he rolled his ankle tonight at training, each halfback has now moved up a grade. hopefully he will be sweet for the CHS game

Well now, if this is the case I expect they've called up Stenberg to cover the bench this evening. Commiserations to Donlan, but this may turn out better for the GPS 2s with Dunbar getting good, clean ball from Merriman.

Ed Wylie on the other hand will be able to cope with just about anything Bannon will throw at him. The boy, for his lack of flair, has magic hands. Bannon may have less space to run the ball though.

This could be interesting. Game on.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bannon may not have the best pass on him but wow is he electric with the ball in hand. I'd say he would be just about impossible to put down if he didn't have to run forward. Always finds holes to snipe through in the middle with his amazing agility and speed. I'd say he'll just be the player you'd want on when the game's close and the forwards are tired.

S

skullring

[RE: SMLF]

Somebody stop this horrible, horrible randwick fan, he's hurting my ears with his verbal diarrhoea!

N

Nanai

Bannon may not have the best pass on him but wow is he electric with the ball in hand. I'd say he would be just about impossible to put down if he didn't have to run forward. Always finds holes to snipe through in the middle with his amazing agility and speed. I'd say he'll just be the player you'd want on when the game's close and the forwards are tired.

I agree to an extent. If your forwards are getting dominated, it becomes harder to pass the ball cleanly. If Bannon's forwards run well, I expect he'll be unstoppable with the ball in his hand. If they're going backwards, a poor pass leading to a knock on (even if it's in the centres due to a poor transfer) can be the death knell in a game. Passing is, first and foremost, the halfback's no 1. job. It needs to be crisp and on target so the outside backs get time and space to work with.

He is electric though, that much is true. I'd love to see them move him to the wing, and put Merriman on, towards the end of the game in the 1s however, especially if they are losing. Anyhow, I'm getting caught up watching the soccer, we'll see how things go tomorrow!

R

rugbywhisperer

OK boys,
we gave you a leash and it appears you have extended it to the fullest.
Can we please have rugby comment, and keep the personal vindictive elsewhere.
Your old nemesis from sportal resides here while he is eager for some action he would rather read informed commentary.

P

PTB

I hear GPS were stong against CAS but i hear they still can improve. Look out CHS

P

PTB

Also is there any good match up with players??
i hear lolohea vs gillespie should be good

F

ftb

I agree to an extent. If your forwards are getting dominated, it becomes harder to pass the ball cleanly. If Bannon's forwards run well, I expect he'll be unstoppable with the ball in his hand. If they're going backwards, a poor pass leading to a knock on (even if it's in the centres due to a poor transfer) can be the death knell in a game. Passing is, first and foremost, the halfback's no 1. job. It needs to be crisp and on target so the outside backs get time and space to work with.

He is electric though, that much is true. I'd love to see them move him to the wing, and put Merriman on, towards the end of the game in the 1s however, especially if they are losing. Anyhow, I'm getting caught up watching the soccer, we'll see how things go tomorrow!

The 9 selected positions are a disgrace. the only 9 that deserves the GPS spot is View's 9 Donlan. 2nds 9 - bannon and 3rds 9 - merriman do not deserve the spot at all either does bannon. 2nds GPS should have been given to the TKS 9 - Lewthwaite and the 3rds GPS should be Merriman or Stenburg! absolutely disgraceful decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.