• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2025

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
Think it's more that to the casual follower it's just not clear where this team sits given selections are by different bodies and announcements made on different dates etc.

Plus the mishmash of some announcements only listing schools, others listing clubs (sometimes junior) and rarely both.

A little bit of coordination in announcements might help.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Not trying to sound rude but I don't understand why it's considered complicated. More sides yes, but the boys selected for Aus Schools weren't going to be selected in this squad unless 3 or 4 players in a position get injured. 40 players named in the squad above this is the National 1st and 2nd XV. Aus Schools have remained in name but they are essentially the 3rd XV with any Barbarian side named being the 4th XV.

It our multiple organisations that muddy the waters and its not just Schools Rugby even though the squad above is part of RA which is good. Our Club system is a stuffed with four alone in NSW with NSWSRU, SRU, NSWCRU, NSWRU...

Schools have somewhat pulled themselves into a line from RA > NSWRU> School Association.

I don't mind the ASRU still conducting the Aus Schools as it gives more players who would not have been picked in years gone by a chance to play more footy.
Yeah I agree, once you go to the effort to understand how it works it's not that complicated and it's good that more boys are being given an opportunity to play some rep footy.

Incidentally Louis Fenwicke is one in this squad that was in the ASRU side, I'm not sure of the circumstances but I can find out easily enough.

runningrugbyrules

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah I agree, once you go to the effort to understand how it works it's not that complicated and it's good that more boys are being given an opportunity to play some rep footy.

Incidentally Louis Fenwicke is one in this squad that was in the ASRU side, I'm not sure of the circumstances but I can find out easily enough.
The issue I have with the new system is that in past years it was an honour to be one of the 22 or so to be picked and play for Australian Schoolboys. Now about 80-90 a year claim to be an Australian Schoolboy Rep on various rugby club/School web sites

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Names change over time. If you are in Clubs and selection rooms further down the line in Rugby they understand that it's now Aus 18s that carry the most weight (in name).

All the players selected for Aus Schools are still phenomenal Rugby players and have good Rugby ahead of them. I'd also say the kids now would run rings around most from the past. Size and fitness across the board probably means the 80-90 players in some sort of rep side have the ability that use to only be held to the 25 Aus Schools players picked.

CasualObserver

Sydney Middleton (9)
Some very Very strange selections, not sure what games they watched this year. The problem with Australian rugby often isn’t the players but the poor selectors and coaches who decide who gets a contract.
Massive shame Mitch Woods and Alex Conti not picked as it decreases any chance they’ll return to rugby one day like Matt Rogers, Joseph Sua'ali'i, etc . I know they’re both under Bulldogs contracts and Conti just got injured but to completely leave out the two stars from the dominate NSW U/16 from two years ago is a huge mistake. Also can’t believe Justice Taumoepau and Matt Gough aren’t in this squad.
Is Zac Fittler the first player to ever get selected for Australian Schoolboys/ u18s from the GPS 3rd XV?

Joker

Staff member
I cant think of anyone else since 1991, however Joker would be the best to get into the archives to answer that one.
Matt Schwagger (2005) from Joeys 2nd XV played GPS 3rds's, NSW 1st XV and then Australia A. He played 2nd Grade at Sydney Uni.

1726629529008.png

1726629630285.png

He still plays today for the Narrabri Blue Boars

1726629276015.jpeg