• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2025

Rudderless

Phil Hardcastle (33)

1725778132417.png

Up and In

Herbert Moran (7)

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Few boys named in that who have been on contract with League teams at some level(Makasini & Lemoto).

Does it mean now we will only not pick you if you have a senior contract like Joe Walsh with Manly. Talented players and it's always been my opinion we pick the best side available and maintain relationships with players who will be up for a new contract by the time they are 20/21 and Rugby should be able to pick up the phone and have them not tell us to kick rocks because we shafted them.

TheMaulester

Ted Fahey (11)
Only one joeys boy. Has to be a mistake.
4 Scots
2 Riverview
2 Shore
2 Kings
2 Newington
1 Joeys

Considering the 2024 Joeys 1st XV had 8 players who weren't in year 12, I think some of them were looked over deliberately, as a lot of the talented Joeys players who could make this team (like Matt Gough and Justice Taumeopaeu) will likely be playing in this team in the next few years (as they will not finish school till next year or even later), so they will prioritise the boys who are about to finish school and are no longer eligible for this team from next year. This enables more boys to get more exposure at the top level to be seen by coaches and get more boys a glimpse at what proffessional union looks like. Next year it is likely Joeys will have the most out of any school in this team, considering the talent they have returning next year, which almost won Joeys the AAGPS playing against boys older than them.

4 Barker
3 St Augstines
4 Nudgee
3 TSS

Here for the advice

Peter Burge (5)
The U18 squad to cut from 40 to 26 will be tough some great form in there and some recent names have really shone as the season closed out. Here’s hoping they deliver some W’s against NZ!

runningrugbyrules

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some very Very strange selections, not sure what games they watched this year. The problem with Australian rugby often isn’t the players but the poor selectors and coaches who decide who gets a contract.
Massive shame Mitch Woods and Alex Conti not picked as it decreases any chance they’ll return to rugby one day like Matt Rogers, Joseph Sua'ali'i, etc . I know they’re both under Bulldogs contracts and Conti just got injured but to completely leave out the two stars from the dominate NSW U/16 from two years ago is a huge mistake. Also can’t believe Justice Taumoepau and Matt Gough aren’t in this squad.

Last edited:

Springbokbreaker

Bob McCowan (2)
4 Scots
2 Riverview
2 Shore
2 Kings
2 Newington
1 Joeys

Considering the 2024 Joeys 1st XV had 8 players who weren't in year 12, I think some of them were looked over deliberately, as a lot of the talented Joeys players who could make this team (like Matt Gough and Justice Taumeopaeu) will likely be playing in this team in the next few years (as they will not finish school till next year or even later), so they will prioritise the boys who are about to finish school and are no longer eligible for this team from next year. This enables more boys to get more exposure at the top level to be seen by coaches and get more boys a glimpse at what proffessional union looks like. Next year it is likely Joeys will have the most out of any school in this team, considering the talent they have returning next year, which almost won Joeys the AAGPS playing against boys older than them.

4 Barker
3 St Augstines
4 Nudgee
3 TSS
Very well spoken totally agree it makes sense that they would prioritize players who are finishing school soon, allowing them to gain valuable experience at a higher level. With the talented younger players like Matt Gough and Justice Taumeopaeu coming up, Joeys is definitely setting itself up for a strong future.

Mudgee Mudcrab

Frank Nicholson (4)
Some very Very strange selections, not sure what games they watched this year. The problem with Australian rugby often isn’t the players but the poor selectors and coaches who decide who gets a contract.
Massive shame Mitch Woods and Alex Conti not picked as it decreases any chance they’ll return to rugby one day like Matt Rogers, Joseph Sua'ali'i, etc . I know they’re both under Bulldogs contracts and Conti just got injured but to completely leave out the two stars from the dominate NSW U/16 from two years ago is a huge mistake. Also can’t believe Justice Taumoepau and Matt Gough aren’t in this squad.
Taumoepau committed to U16's Waratahs this season

The Occasional Fly Half

Bob McCowan (2)
4 Scots
2 Riverview
2 Shore
2 Kings
2 Newington
1 Joeys

4 Barker
3 St Augstines
4 Nudgee
3 TSS
Hey mate, I borrowed your data here for the QLD GPS thread. Have attributed approprriately, but not sure if you get a notification.

For the forum, a parallel chat on the QLD GPS 2024 thread if you are interested in the AUS 18s chat. Not too much different, but thought you might be interested. QLD GPS chat on Aus 18s

Ohana

Frank Row (1)
4 Scots
2 Riverview
2 Shore
2 Kings
2 Newington
1 Joeys

4 Barker
3 St Augstines
4 Nudgee
3 TSS
Scots is 5 - TB, ZF, LJ, HL & JM
Kings is 4 - HL, IF, LF & EL(23)
The representation from the other schools has been affected by the Aus Schools playing Fiji in Sep.
Unnecessarily complicated pathways...

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Scots is 5 - TB, ZF, LJ, HL & JM
Kings is 4 - HL, IF, LF & EL(23)
The representation from the other schools has been affected by the Aus Schools playing Fiji in Sep.
Unnecessarily complicated pathways...
Not trying to sound rude but I don't understand why it's considered complicated. More sides yes, but the boys selected for Aus Schools weren't going to be selected in this squad unless 3 or 4 players in a position get injured. 40 players named in the squad above this is the National 1st and 2nd XV. Aus Schools have remained in name but they are essentially the 3rd XV with any Barbarian side named being the 4th XV.

It our multiple organisations that muddy the waters and its not just Schools Rugby even though the squad above is part of RA which is good. Our Club system is a stuffed with four alone in NSW with NSWSRU, SRU, NSWCRU, NSWRU...

Schools have somewhat pulled themselves into a line from RA > NSWRU> School Association.

I don't mind the ASRU still conducting the Aus Schools as it gives more players who would not have been picked in years gone by a chance to play more footy.