• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Cleaner

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ok, genuine question….. what’s better for the player and/or future Rugby Australia:
1. Making the best u16s play u16s and getting used to being dominant/enjoying success
2. Making the best u16s play up early and being less dominant/experiencing struggle
??
***Disclaimer*** - I am not a professional coach. Only a spectator opinion.

I would be the coach of Wallabies If I knew the CORRECT answer to your question friend. (Ok maybe not Wallabies, Waratahs ) I think it’s case by case as the position that they play needs to be taken into consideration. Their size also. In my opinion, front rowers should not rush to play up full stop. They are specialized positions. Maybe play 1 year up only not 2. In short I do not agree with playing up. What is the rush?

There are certain players that plays up and are doing well (Justice Taumoepeau) very few that I know of. They have trained and conditioned their bodies for body contact 2+years above their age group though. We need to look at the number of injured players that hurt themselves from playing above their own age group. Viliamu and Sheck from Newington and Davies from Kings. They would have been in the President A side this year if they were not injured.
So in short, I would go with #1, play your own age group because its only for a year and they cannot play that age again.

I like how Schmidt in his 1-ON-1 with ATKO on STAN discussed 'players being impatient' wanting to be selected to play at the highest level when they are not quite physically ready for it. I think he puts it "They are impatient but it is his job as a coach to be patient for them for their own benefit" Though this is at a elite level, but same principle can be applied to grassroots and school level rugby.

Last edited:

runningrugbyrules

Ted Fahey (11)
Both sides having "at least 6 Year 11s", is an odd way of saying that Joey's has 6 and Riverview has 11 typically (points where they've had 12) year 11s, almost double Joeys which is a pretty big difference.
Joeys currently coming 1st and View last is a “pretty big difference“ too, if you’re comparing the quality of those players returning next year

In 2022 Joeys 15A averaged 42-6 in the comp games, expecting the core of this group will dominate in 2025. (16As is no guide as Joeys tend to struggle with so many boys playing 1sts/2nds recently)

I don’t think we’ll see the quality of this years Joeys 1st XV until (if) they get a break from the rain and a dry track to play multiple phase running rugby

Last edited:

tight5

Stan Wickham (3)
Schmidt's approach should be done at club and school levels. There is a flow on effect on bringing youngsters up.

Players that come through need a certain level of body maturity/grit to continue on. I feel that toughness is gained at club level, particularly Colts not School's.

Unfortunately school (GPS/CAS etc) players are restricted from playing club Y11/Y12 yet Y10s can play. Miss out on opportunity when youngsters come through into 2nds, 1sts rugby then at risk of losing to league over the next 2 years. Finish school then looks for a club who already have established Colts in position

Taumoepeau exceptional talent whose old man coached at Easts was with TAHs forwards coaching. Obviously given the right path and preparation

Also not a coach just outside looking in.

shaquille_oatmeal

Stan Wickham (3)
Joeys currently coming 1st and View last is a “pretty big difference“ too, if you’re comparing the quality of those players returning next year

In 2022 Joeys 15A averaged 42-6 in the comp games, expecting the core of this group will dominate in 2025. (16As is no guide as Joeys tend to struggle with so many boys playing 1sts/2nds recently)

I don’t think we’ll see the quality of this years Joeys 1st XV until (if) they get a break from the rain and a dry track to play multiple phase running rugby
Sure, but the original post referred to the year 11 count, and while labeling View as being last is true it's deceptive, second place only has a single win more than last. View has struggled with form but are effectively with the pack and having double as many year 11s is still a significant advantage to them.

BananaMan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Morning @Joker - my tips for this Friday:

GPS 1s +18
GPS 2s +1
GPS BLUE +6
CCC +6

FYI - I’m assuming an oversight but you’ve got a lot of people casting tips on incorrect games (ie GPS BLUE & WHITE are actually playing Country & CCC respectively).

The Cleaner

Sydney Middleton (9)
Schmidts approach should be done at club and school levels. There is a flow on effect on bringing youngsters up. 100%

Players that come through need a certain level of body maturity/grit to continue on. I feel that toughness is gained at club level, particularly Colts not School's. - 100% Agree

Unfortunately school (GPS/CAS etc) players are restricted from playing club Y11/Y12 yet Y10s can play. Miss out on opportunity when youngsters come through into 2nds, 1sts rugby then at risk of losing to league over the next 2 years. Finish school then looks for a club who already have established Colts in position - 100% Agree - In terms of players of age missing out, its unfair and I think that is when the school need to weigh up the pros and cons. If up to me, I would not allow it. I would make it a rule in the school - Only year 11&12 can play 1st and 2nd (Yr 10 only come up for injuries etc). So what if they lose games and so what if perhaps there are talented kids in Yr 10 that could play up? They can wait their turn. First priority should be given to all Year 12 student who wants to play rugby before they finish school. If they don't win a premiership that year, its not the end of the world but those boys will finish school with fond memories. That is what I would do if I were in charge and given the authority. BUT I know schools don't want to lose games - PRIDE is a funny thing, it provides a very tunnel and short vision.

Taumoepeau exceptional talent who's old man coached at East's was with TAHs forwards coaching. Obviously given the right path and preparation - He has always been exceptional. And it is to be expected because he would have received 1-1 coaching from his dad. I would worry if was not exceptional. He is a working horse and he EARNS his sport on his own merit.

Also not a coach just outside looking in