• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
They select players to represent NSW knowing very well that they will not be playing rugby union in the future
They select based on the criteria they are given.
If you ruled out every multi-sport junior you'd be looking at a pretty small list

And by playing Reps they might decide to stay particularly with the 7s in the Olympics, and the coming Lions tour and World Cup

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
I was with you until you mentioned kids also playing league, omitting them from selection doesn't mean you'll have the best players just whos left over. RA need to commit to the players 1st with sign on pathways for players (parents) even consider turning their backs on league.

Reading your comments, you and I actually agree let me elaborate;
Yes, we may end up without the superstars to win the U15,16,18 if we choose to omit players that plays the other code. But Is winning the U15-U18 trophy the main goal of a Super Rugby academy? I doubt that very much (only partly). If we omit them from selection and lose, RA should ask the question,

1. How do we attract them to continue playing rugby union? (Perhaps as you mentioned, "commit to the players with a signed contract")
2 How do we retain them in the game to hopefully become professionals?
3 Have we got the right coaching team?
4 Need more working capital perhaps in the program?
Many other questions can be raised.

BUT IF we omit them from selection and the 'left over' (your word) players continues the winning streak? Well then RUGBY UNION WINS, we have selected the right representative players who loves the game and will continue to play the game (maybe a bit optimistic here)

As long as we continue to select the dual code players just to win at Junior level we are band aiding the issue.

My 2 cents. I'm not a professional, only a rugby union fanatic.

Last edited:

FastNFurious

Alfred Walker (16)
Yes, we may end up without the superstars to win the U15,16,18 if we choose to omit players that plays the other code. But Is winning the U15-U18 trophy the main goal of a Super Rugby academy? I doubt that very much (only partly). If we omit them from selection and lose, RA should ask the question,

1. How do we attract them to continue playing rugby union? (Perhaps as you mentioned, "commit to the players with a signed contract")

BUT IF we omit them from selection and the 'left over' (your word) players continues the winning streak? Well then RUGBY UNION WINS, we have selected the right representative players who loves the game and will continue to play the game (maybe a bit optimistic here)

As long as we continue to select the dual code players just to win at Junior level we are band aiding the issue.

More than ever, I reckon it is a curse for a kid to be picked in the Gen Blue U15/ U16 / U18 team. Why? They are so pampered and protected now that many of them start to believe their own press. That leaves them competing against a bunch of nearly as good pissed off kids with a point to prove. I personally think that many of the so called PONI players have massively underperformed this season and are only in the squad due to reputation. In reality the portion of kids that graduate from Gen blue whatever to pro ranks is very low and the NRL is only part of the reason. The other bigger part is attitude, the people in charge do the code and the players no favours by treating the certain chosen few as super elite. Entitlement and softness creeps in quickly. Do you think the French, Kiwis, Saffa’s, Pom’s etc have such a convoluted “pathways” system? I doubt it….. you’d say that’s only because they don’t need to worry about rugby league…. It’s not like league didn’t compete for talent when we won the World Cup twice and made the final of 2 more…. It seems the demise came when we installed yet more layers of bureaucracy who in search of something to look busy and justify their Salaries set about setting up the dumbest pathway they could and justified it by saying that the NRL bogey man was coming over the back fence. Stop worrying about league, focus on union. If a player is contracted to league they should not be allowed to play union at any level. If for no other reason, with what we know now about concussions is it safe for a young player to compete at that elite level all year?

Last edited:
Leave this alone. He is simply fishing for comments
@cyclopath can you deal with Captain Crash Ball?

View attachment 20075

Captain Crash Ball here,
Not sure why the forum seems to have it out for me, I was talking footy, giving my knowledge and thoughts on Riverview, Joeys at Leichhardt. The_Lock seems to just really not like me for some reason.
Regards Captain Crash Ball

rugby-OG

Stan Wickham (3)

union is constantly taking the league's scraps. it's time they do more to hold young juniors. I know they have the Poni program, but they will need much more than that to compete with the league recruiting program.

even sometimes the best players are right under our noses. what I mean by this is waratahs sometimes let's a few kids through the system and they find themselves in a Brumbies team having an actual role. players like the legend George smith, Dan Nelson (U20 wallabies), tom wright (wallabies) and ryan Lonergan.

rugby-OG

Stan Wickham (3)
union is constantly taking the league's scraps. it's time they do more to hold young juniors. I know they have the Poni program, but they will need much more than that to compete with the league recruiting program.

even sometimes the best players are right under our noses. what I mean by this is waratahs sometimes let's a few kids through the system and they find themselves in a Brumbies team having an actual role. players like the legend George smith, Dan Nelson (U20 wallabies), tom wright (wallabies) and ryan Lonergan.
any thoughts on the waratahs juniors falling to the brumbies

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)

Limited resources though. Spending what Rugby doesn't have is how its ended up in it's current position.

You aren't wrong, but the ability to do more is very hard and I think we need to see how the current system which is in line with our pro sides plays out instead of caning it a couple years in and re-inventing the wheel under a different acronym we all hate.

Rinse & Repeat all the while the NRL expands teams....

any thoughts on the waratahs juniors falling to the brumbies
Brumbies 19s were excellent. They realise they don't have a competitive player pool to just stick locally so they do targetted recruitment. Many of the team came out of NSW Colts. It's also one year and again we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. In 2022 NSW beat ACT 55/15

I think the Brumbies U19s coach should be given the Aus U20s job. He showed he knows how to build a team and got them going in a short prep.

gus titler

Peter Burge (5)
Have Joeys usually had more players in this squad in previous years??? Is this evidence of a diversifying selection pool or the possibility of a weak year at Joeys?

Scots, Kings and Newington with many names. A bit speculative, but all we have to go off for a possible 2026 competition.
Gus Titler here,
how dare you enter the forum and speak disrespectfully about an u16's team that has only lost two games in 4 years with only one of them being a competition game last year against a super u15 kings team. I have been an immense supporter of this year since they were in the 13's. This team is full of unrecognisable talent, yes they don't have many big names but they are a team full of hard workers who when they come together are hard to split apart and beat (hence their record). Some names missing from the Waratahs team in my opinion is:
1. Henry Troy, winger and full back, 2's (J)
2. Xavier Ryan, halfback (J)
3. Pat Smith, Five Eight (J)
4. Connor Hopkins, Hooker (J)
5. Samuel Jones, Backrow (J)
6. Harry Murdoch, king (E)
7. Aston Mccauley, halfback (augs)
8. MUDGEE MUDCRAB, prop (J)
9. Bryn Whittaker , prop (J)
10. Jack Plamondon, full back winger (I)
11. Samuel King Jorgensen (J)

I want the forums opinion on @Cauliflower Ear comment calling the joeys 16a's a weak team?

The Prince

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gus Titler here,
how dare you enter the forum and speak disrespectfully about an u16's team that has only lost two games in 4 years with only one of them being a competition game last year against a super u15 kings team. I have been an immense supporter of this year since they were in the 13's. This team is full of unrecognisable talent, yes they don't have many big names but they are a team full of hard workers who when they come together are hard to split apart and beat (hence their record). Some names missing from the Waratahs team in my opinion is:

I want the forums opinion on @Cauliflower Ear comment calling the joeys 16a's a weak team?
I haven't seem many of their games but losing two games in the last four years is a pretty good record dont you think? not sure what your on about @Cauliflower Ear

-Prince

Filthy 5ths

Stan Wickham (3)
Just on the Waratahs u16 selection im very confused on some
Gus Titler here,
1. Henry king Troy, winger and full back, 2's (J)

coming from a non biased auggies parent i agree here with tittler, this joeys u16s team is a forced to be reckoned with. i was astonished to see none of these boys making the tahs squad

OM

Joker

Staff member
1B8C329A-EC72-4843-BBD0-35AF50D58058.png

TIPS TUESDAY

Joker

Staff member
My tips are Joeys to bounce back and play their type of game and down the Kingsmen. Scots have discovered their mental state and I feel will surprise View. Newington at home can be red hot. Shore will hope they are cold.

Just on the Waratahs u16 selection im very confused on some

coming from a non biased auggies parent i agree here with tittler, this joeys u16s team is a forced to be reckoned with. i was astonished to see none of these boys making the tahs squad

OM
Captain Crash Ball here,
Agreed, although I am associated with Riverview I can't help but give praise to the fabulous play of the St josephs under 16 a's. In their game against Ignatius at Hunters Hill, they showed their strengths and simply diced apart the Riverview defence, their structure and lead-up play were a sight to see.
A team to watch in the years to come
Regards Captain Crash Ball

Caesar

Stan Wickham (3)
Gus Titler here,

I want the forums opinion on @Cauliflower Ear comment calling the joeys 16a's a weak teamI
I completely agree with this take especially happy to see Harry M getting the recognition he deserves, but ive just noticed his position labeled as KING just wondering what the specifics are on this @gus titler?

-Caesar

Status
Not open for further replies.