• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Soaring Eagle

Allen Oxlade (6)
My GPS 1st XV (Copped some heat last time)

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (I)
4. Graham (I)
5. Greer (J)
6. Brial (S)
7. Logan (J)
8. Fonua (K)
9. Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Gough (J)
13. Tombs (J)
14. Hartman (I)
15. Callaghan (E)

(This team won't get picked purely because of the selector bias)
Fanua at 8 over Taumopeau Is very interesting to me. Great team though.

The Cleaner

Ward Prentice (10)
JUSTICE TAUMOEPEAU

(Source: Polynames)
1718844316485.png

Taumoepeau is a name of Tongan origin that is steeped in a rich history that speaks to the resilience, strength, and courage of the human spirit.

The name represents the story of a brave and daring navigator for the King of Tonga, who fought with the waves to save the Queen of Tonga and his crew from a treacherous storm.

As the navigator, Taumoepeau was tasked with leading the Queen to the Ha'apai group of islands. But as they were out on the ocean, a ferocious storm suddenly descended, causing the canoe to start breaking apart. In the face of the raging waters and howling winds, Taumoepeau remained calm and steady, determined to guide the Queen to safety.

With his unwavering courage, Taumoepeau emerged as a hero, fighting against the waves that threatened to consume the canoe. As he battled against the tumultuous ocean, he came forward and stabbed the hama that held the canoe together, ensuring that it would stay afloat until they reached land.

When the King heard of Taumoepeau's heroic act, he was overcome with gratitude and admiration for the navigator's bravery. To honour his courageous and daring spirit, the King bestowed upon him the name Taumoepeau, meaning “fights with waves.”

The name Taumoepeau is more than just a name, it is a symbol of hope and endurance, representing the deep cultural roots of Tonga and the interconnectedness of all living things. Through its rich and evocative imagery, it celebrates the majesty and power of the ocean and the natural world, reminding us of the endless waves that crash against the shores of these beautiful islands.

By bearing this name, a person becomes a shining example of the enduring power of the Tongan culture and the human spirit itself. It is a name that inspires us to be courageous in the face of adversity, to never give up in the face of impossible odds, and to always strive for a better tomorrow.

With its rich history and poetic significance, Taumoepeau is a name that shines with beauty, heart, and depth. It reminds us of the power and resilience that lies within us all, and of the unbreakable spirit that has sustained the rich and beautiful Tongan culture for centuries.

The Cleaner

Ward Prentice (10)
But he is playing for Kings so what is your point? If he opted out of playing there would be a please explain why he would remain in those squads. He was picked in those squads off the back of games played.

If you are a member of these squads and you are in a GPS School you are likely to play at least 25 games of Rugby this year which is inline with most elite comps in the world.

It has vastly improved from the day of just Aus Schools and Aus A where some guys would finish with 10-12 games for the year.

---

People are confused about what team is what, but really Gen Blue has replaced NSW Schools as it use to sit and Aus U18s has replaced Aus Schools. Those traditional entities still exist as it's a separate administration with their own funding which has been one of the huge hurdles for Rugby in Aus and needed to be brought inline with RA if we are to be any hope.
Thanks for clarifying it.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
But he is playing for Kings so what is your point? If he opted out of playing there would be a please explain why he would remain in those squads. He was picked in those squads off the back of games played.

If you are a member of these squads and you are in a GPS School you are likely to play at least 25 games of Rugby this year which is inline with most elite comps in the world.

It has vastly improved from the day of just Aus Schools and Aus A where some guys would finish with 10-12 games for the year.

---

People are confused about what team is what, but really Gen Blue has replaced NSW Schools as it use to sit and Aus U18s has replaced Aus Schools. Those traditional entities still exist as it's a separate administration with their own funding which has been one of the huge hurdles for Rugby in Aus and needed to be brought inline with RA if we are to be any hope.
Ummm yes, that’s what I was saying, probably expressed poorly. This idea that some have that PONI players don’t need to play is ridiculous. PONI is ridiculous for other reasons. Either way, 25 games is about 10 short of an equivalent player in the northern hemisphere.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Ummm yes, that’s what I was saying, probably expressed poorly. This idea that some have that PONI players don’t need to play is ridiculous. PONI is ridiculous for other reasons. Either way, 25 games is about 10 short of an equivalent player in the northern hemisphere.
In terms of games are we talking Schools competition or the pro/semi pro level?

if you take England for Example and Harrow who won the National Schools Cup they played 15 games.
In Ireland Blackrock won the Leinster Schools Cup and played 10 games.

Best of these sides would move through to rep sides and end up about the same as us. Where we fall to bits is the gap between Schools and Super Rugby. We don't play enough in the period where pro skills should be developed. Having the Prem, Championship in England and A sides gives them the ability to plow Rugby into them before being exposed to the true elite levels.

Whatever they want to call it this year doesn't really matter. They used the system to keep Angus Bell in Rugby and way back it was called the National Talent Squad and the likes of Beale, Quade where under the AIS for a heap of this stuff.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
In terms of games are we talking Schools competition or the pro/semi pro level?

if you take England for Example and Harrow who won the National Schools Cup they played 15 games.
In Ireland Blackrock won the Leinster Schools Cup and played 10 games.

Best of these sides would move through to rep sides and end up about the same as us. Where we fall to bits is the gap between Schools and Super Rugby. We don't play enough in the period where pro skills should be developed. Having the Prem, Championship in England and A sides gives them the ability to plow Rugby into them before being exposed to the true elite levels.

Whatever they want to call it this year doesn't really matter. They used the system to keep Angus Bell in Rugby and way back it was called the National Talent Squad and the likes of Beale, Quade where under the AIS for a heap of this stuff.
I’m talking French system but yes, our bigger issue is the gap between school and elite. That’s why I have an issue with the PONI nonsense. The lads get identified then don’t play, resulting in a) others not getting the chance to demonstrate how they perform against the up until now “best” U20’s players and validate their development, and b) the PONI’s not developing the toughness required that can only come through playing under pressure.

Last edited:

Harrisonmccarthy

Frank Row (1)
GPS 1st Prediction

1. Hayden Lavercombe (K)
2. James Warner (E)
3. Felix Harvison (E)
4. Toby Brial (S) (captain)
5. Arthur Greer (J)
6. Johannes Logan (J)
7. Marshall Le Maitre (E)
8. Isaac Fonua (K)

9. Angus Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Heamasi Makasini (N)
12. Matt Gough (J)
13. Tom Hartman (I)
14. J McKenzie (S)
15. Jai Callaghan (E)

Anyone got any thoughts?

Grubblin

Frank Row (1)
JUSTICE TAUMOEPEAU

(Source: Polynames)
View attachment 19493
Taumoepeau is a name of Tongan origin that is steeped in a rich history that speaks to the resilience, strength, and courage of the human spirit.

The name represents the story of a brave and daring navigator for the King of Tonga, who fought with the waves to save the Queen of Tonga and his crew from a treacherous storm.

As the navigator, Taumoepeau was tasked with leading the Queen to the Ha'apai group of islands. But as they were out on the ocean, a ferocious storm suddenly descended, causing the canoe to start breaking apart. In the face of the raging waters and howling winds, Taumoepeau remained calm and steady, determined to guide the Queen to safety.

With his unwavering courage, Taumoepeau emerged as a hero, fighting against the waves that threatened to consume the canoe. As he battled against the tumultuous ocean, he came forward and stabbed the hama that held the canoe together, ensuring that it would stay afloat until they reached land.

When the King heard of Taumoepeau's heroic act, he was overcome with gratitude and admiration for the navigator's bravery. To honour his courageous and daring spirit, the King bestowed upon him the name Taumoepeau, meaning “fights with waves.”

The name Taumoepeau is more than just a name, it is a symbol of hope and endurance, representing the deep cultural roots of Tonga and the interconnectedness of all living things. Through its rich and evocative imagery, it celebrates the majesty and power of the ocean and the natural world, reminding us of the endless waves that crash against the shores of these beautiful islands.

By bearing this name, a person becomes a shining example of the enduring power of the Tongan culture and the human spirit itself. It is a name that inspires us to be courageous in the face of adversity, to never give up in the face of impossible odds, and to always strive for a better tomorrow.

With its rich history and poetic significance, Taumoepeau is a name that shines with beauty, heart, and depth. It reminds us of the power and resilience that lies within us all, and of the unbreakable spirit that has sustained the rich and beautiful Tongan culture for centuries.
Wow. This new generation ChatGPT business seems to have taken the forum by storm. If i'm not mistaken it seems it was the @wisemaan who first used it. Must say it is interesting and i'm all for it but lets try balance that with some original (possibly controversial) thoughts and opinions. I'm sure wismaan will agree.

Time will tell. Cheers. Grubblin

MaulMasterMind

Bob McCowan (2)
Wow. This new generation ChatGPT business seems to have taken the forum by storm. If i'm not mistaken it seems it was the @wisemaan who first used it. Must say it is interesting and i'm all for it but lets try balance that with some original (possibly controversial) thoughts and opinions. I'm sure wismaan will agree.

Beautifully said Grubblin. Boy, am I loving your comments! Keep 'em coming, you delightful GRUB.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I’m talking French system but yes, our bigger issue is the gap between school and elite. That’s why I have an issue with the PONI nonsense. The lads get identified then don’t play, resulting in a) others not getting the chance to demonstrate how they perform against the up until now “best” U20’s players and validate their development, and b) the PONI’s not developing the toughness required that can only come through playing under pressure.
French system is built of Top 14 Club academies getting that time into players from 18-20 and not through Schools. Our pro sides don't have the capacity to run full time U20s.

I'm not seeing this part of it though? They are playing.

The original comment was merely saying that if GPS selectors didn't pick them for our specific rep side it would be very likely that NSW selectors would still pick them.

wisemaan

Banned

I have used it from time to time for a source for my pre game reviews, however not recently. It can be useful on occasion but we will see.. @Jockey181 what are your views on this, or are you still off in Fiji with the wife, would love to hear your piece of mind...

- wissy