• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

uncle ruckus

Frank Row (1)
He also played for Manly and Sydney and other rep sides outside of GPS. There is more to youth rugby than a single school program. Plenty of Colts players who never played 1st…. Plenty of posts to the selection challenges for all teams.
He was also a starter in the NSW Juniors side that won the Australian Schools competition.
Agreed, there is more to Rep footy then GPS.

Steve_Grey

Larry Dwyer (12)
I’m talking French system but yes, our bigger issue is the gap between school and elite. That’s why I have an issue with the PONI nonsense. The lads get identified then don’t play, resulting in a) others not getting the chance to demonstrate how they perform against the up until now “best” U20’s players and validate their development, and b) the PONI’s not developing the toughness required that can only come through playing under pressure.
Hit the nail on the proverbial head.
"The lads get identified then don’t play" spot on - many of them relocate to the Waratahs Daceyville gym, play a few Colts or 2nd Grade games per season to tick the boxes - they become 'blockers' for others who don't get their chance to demonstrate their ability (as you say above) - some players are late developers, some are simply ignored.

Very few checks and balances - performances aren't validated against the wider NSW Shute Shield Club U20s talent pool (as they play so few Club games) - some of the PONI in the system are not currently even the best U20s in their own Clubs, let alone NSW.

Rudderless

Vay Wilson (31)
From the AAGPS website

OPEN REPRESENTATIVE RUGBY 2024

Open Representative Rugby teams will be announced on the AAGPS website on the evening of Saturday 22 June by approximately 8 p.m.

Players selected in Opens AAGPS Rugby teams are to gather at The Scots College at 9 a.m. on Sunday 23 June.

Entry will be via the Cranbrook Rd gates only.

Players will be required until approximately 1 p.m.

Shadow players will not be named but may be called in after medicals have been completed.

Training is at Newington College on Monday 24 June at 3.30 p.m. followed by the AAGPS Rugby Dinner also at Newington College. This should be finished by 8 p.m.

Training will also be held on Tuesday 25 June 3.30 p.m. at:

• 1st / 2nd XVs - Shore Sports Grounds, Northbridge
• Blue/White XVs - Doyle Ground 4, The Kings School

Fixtures will occur on Thursday 27 June all day at Warringah Rugby Park and the afternoon of Friday 28 June at Knox Grammar School.

NSW Schools teams will be announced on the evening of Friday 28 June and are to gather the morning of Saturday 29 June at Waratahs HQ.

The Australian Schools Rugby Championships are being held on the Sunshine Coast from Tuesday July 2 to Saturday July 6.

Mr P. Barlow AAGPS Rugby Convener
18 June 2024

PRESIDENT XVs PLAYER INFORMATION

President A & B Squads will be announced on the AAGPS Website on the evening of Saturday 22 June.

Selected players will be required to report to Newington College at 9 a.m. Sunday 23 June for medical assessment; administration and light training.

Both squads will train at The Shore School Sports Grounds Northbridge on Tuesday 25 and Thursday 27 June at 3.30 p.m.

The NSW Schools U/16 Championships will be held at St Gregorys College Campbelltown on Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 June.

1st Fixtures are:
• President A v ISA 9.30 a.m.
• President B v CAS 12.00 p.m.

Following fixtures on Saturday, Sunday fixtures are dependent on results.

Mr P Barlow AAGPS Rugby Convener
18 June 2024
Live Streaming

The Opens Representative games being played next Thursday 27th and Friday 28th as well as the u16’s on Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th will BOTH be live streamed via NSW Rugby TV only.

Streamer will not be involved in either.

Remember NSW Rugby TV requires a paid subscription.

Last edited:

The Cleaner

Ward Prentice (10)
Hit the nail on the proverbial head.
"The lads get identified then don’t play" spot on - many of them relocate to the Waratahs Daceyville gym, play a few Colts or 2nd Grade games per season to tick the boxes - they become 'blockers' for others who don't get their chance to demonstrate their ability (as you say above) - some players are late developers, some are simply ignored.

Very few checks and balances - performances aren't validated against the wider NSW Shute Shield Club U20s talent pool (as they play so few Club games) - some of the PONI in the system are not currently even the best U20s in their own Clubs, let alone NSW.
If we all can be objective, Rugby in Australia will flourish and back to its glory days. Why can’t those players continue to play at club or Shute Shield etc? SO WHAT IF THEY ARE NOT PICKED IN PONI OR TAHS for now? IF THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH THEY WILL BE PICKED REGARDLESS! Being in PONI or in TAHS ACADEMY DOES NOT GUARANTEE A WALLABY JERSEY. I mean we can look at Tahs Super rugby result. COMPLAINING ABOUT PONI AND WHO IS IN PONI IS A LOSER MENTALITY IN MY OPINION. Keen to see how many in PONI will eventually wear the green and gold. If your son / nephew etc does not get picked now, IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. KEEP ON PLAYING BECAUSE IF THEY DO HAVE IT? IT WILL BE NOTICED BY THE RIGHT PERSON! Hopefully though, that it will be someone in Australia not from overseas and someone from Rugby Union not Rugby League. It is pointless to be negative about the Rugby scheme in place it’s not as if they can take ALL talented players at once.

Last edited:

NotAlwaysCorrectAdam

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not to sure but guessing the ladder would be something like this, will be looking into this

1. Joeys
2. Kings 'Smirnoff 7ths'
3. View ' Nicotine 9ths'
4. Scots
5. Newington Silverbacks
6. Shore ' Dawg Squad' ( all year 11 )

Would anyone like pre game reviews for this.. I am going to be working on this now..

- wisemaan
Hey Mate,

Would be hilarious to get a pre game review for this saturday!

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If we all can be objective, Rugby in Australia will flourish and back to its glory days. Why can’t those players continue to play at club or Shute Shield etc? SO WHAT IF THEY ARE NOT PICKED IN PONI OR TAHS for now? IF THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH THEY WILL BE PICKED REGARDLESS! Being in PONI or in TAHS ACADEMY DOES NOT GUARANTEE A WALLABY JERSEY. I mean we can look at Tahs Super rugby result. COMPLAINING ABOUT PONI AND WHO IS IN PONI IS A LOSER MENTALITY IN MY OPINION. Keen to see how many in PONI will eventually wear the green and gold. If your son / nephew etc does not get picked now, IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. KEEP ON PLAYING BECAUSE IF THEY DO HAVE IT? IT WILL BE NOTICED BY THE RIGHT PERSON! Hopefully though, that it will be someone in Australia not from overseas and someone from Rugby Union not Rugby League. It is pointless to be negative about the Rugby scheme in place it’s not as if they can take ALL talented players at once.
I don’t care who is in it. I am saying it does not serve us well, it is a waste of scarce resources. The recent results speak for themselves and continuing to make the same mistakes is stooopid.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Absolutely @Joker. And they play with incredible commitment and courage. They should be applauded.
Yes agree, out gunned they copped a hiding against Joeys in a trial a few weeks back but you couldn’t question their commitment. One of the centres pulled off a cracking heavy tackle with about 5 mins to go sending the Joeys boy into next week. It would have been easier and safer to let Joeys run in another meat pie but the SBHS player was having none of that.

BananaMan

Allen Oxlade (6)
agreed. If selectors were looking to select a strong jumper however I believe Green is the most suitable call-up. Whilst we would be losing some presence offensively in particular the importance of a lineout is not to be underestimated. In saying all this I too do believe that selectors will not opt to bring him in.
If you look back to the Tahs v Reds U18 game earlier this year at Concord Oval you'll note that the Tahs had:

4. Brial
5. Fonua
6. Cleverley
7. Le Maitre
8. Taumoepeau

Cleverley, Fonua and Taumoepeau were all jumpers. Replace Cleverley with Logan and you have your GPS 1 back 5 with jumpers.

jack andrews

Frank Nicholson (4)
If you look back to the Tahs v Reds U18 game earlier this year at Concord Oval you'll note that the Tahs had:

4. Brial
5. Fonua
6. Cleverley
7. Le Maitre
8. Taumoepeau

Cleverley, Fonua and Taumoepeau were all jumpers. Replace Cleverley with Logan and you have your GPS 1 back 5 with jumpers.
I like this a lot ^^.

Imagine Cleverley was available for selection, the forum and actual selectors would have even more of a nightmare selecting this backrow/second row!

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ok. Here is an update I got today

“Please stop abusing others and arguing over the team selection. Thread will be closed if this doesn’t stop”

Many ave their opinion but please stop the player bashing. if you don’t heads will roll and our sandbox closed.

the mods are watching

A97DDE41-8D09-46BF-8B30-A6F2D4BC440F.gif

Mungo1866

Frank Nicholson (4)
While some would be tempted by this idea, please remember the High team are schoolboys proudly representing a school that has produced some outstanding footballers. Let’s encourage them.
I refereed their seconds some years ago (when the 1sts still played 1sts) and they tried their guts out- simply the size difference of the big country cattle wore them down but some good hard working players then as I'm sure there are now. hopefully they, along with some others, can return to a competitive standard.

Rudderless

Vay Wilson (31)
Ok. Here is an update I got today

“Please stop abusing others and arguing over the team selection. Thread will be closed if this doesn’t stop”

Many ave their opinion but please stop the player bashing. if you don’t heads will roll and our sandbox closed.

the mods are watching

View attachment 19504
My prayers have been answered.

Time now for some of you posting to take a break…