• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Why do they do that in March before the season starts? It seems illogical that they would choose players based on last year in an age group where players develop enormously over 6-12 months.
They played games between NSW and QLD. A lot of the side comprised of U16s from the previous year. I like the fact these guys are getting a lot of games into them throughout the year.

Unfortunately it's necessary to make calls early on a number of guys. It's a competition for talent and Rugby does have a limited amount of resources compared to League. We also have a very condensed player population that whether we like it or not and this does mean a lot of these squads have the best players available in it.

We always hear about the kid that never got called up ending up the best and there good stories but not the majority on instances in Aus.

PROPaganda

Herbert Moran (7)
CHATGPT:

Analyzing the various predictions and selections for the GPS 1st XV rugby team, here are some observations and common trends that emerge:

Common Selections:​

1. Front Row:
    • Hayden Lavercombe (K), James Warner (E), and variations of others like C Ghattas (J) and F Harvison (E) are consistently mentioned in the front row positions.
  2. Locks:
    • Toby Brial (S) and Arthur Greer (J) are frequently chosen for the lock positions.
  3. Back Row:
    • Johannes Logan (J), Marshall Le Maitre (E), and Justice Taumoepeau (J) are often picked for the back row, along with variations including I Fonua (K).
  4. Halfbacks:
    • Angus Grover (I) appears consistently as the scrum-half choice.
  5. Fly-half:
    • Rodwell (N) and Jonty Fowler (J) are commonly selected as fly-halves.
  6. Centers:
    • Tom Hartman (I) and Matt Gough (J) are frequently chosen for the center positions.
  7. Wings and Fullback:
    • Names like Makasini (N), J McKenzie (S), and J Callaghan (E) appear regularly for the wing and fullback roles.

Varied Opinions and Decisions:​

1. Prop Positions:
    • There's some variability in the props chosen, with different schools and individuals preferring different players for the front row.
  2. Locks and Back Row:
    • While Brial and Greer are popular choices in the lock positions, there's some variation in who fills these roles depending on the prediction.
  3. Back Three:
    • There's consistent mention of Makasini, McKenzie, and Callaghan in the back three, but slight variations exist in their positioning.
  4. Captaincy:
    • Toby Brial (S) is noted as a captain in some predictions, indicating his leadership role in the team.

Key Considerations:​

• Form and Performance: Many selections are based on current form and standout performances in school rugby matches leading up to the GPS season.
  • School Representation: Each predictor seems to heavily favor players from their respective schools, influencing their choices.
  • Position Flexibility: Some players are noted for their ability to play multiple positions, such as C Conna (I), who can play both 6 and 8.
In conclusion, while there are variations in each prediction, the core group of players remains largely consistent across most lists. Factors like current form, school affiliations, and positional versatility play crucial roles in these selections. The final GPS 1st XV team will likely reflect a blend of these predictions, taking into account the broader performance context and team dynamics.

CHAT GPTs GPS 1st XV Rugby Team Prediction:​

1. Hayden Lavercombe (K)
2. James Warner (E)
3. Felix Harvison (E)
4. Toby Brial (S) (captain)
5. Arthur Greer (J)
6. Johannes Logan (J)
7. Marshall Le Maitre (E)
8. Isaac Fonua (K)

9. Angus Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Heamasi Makasini (N)
12. Matt Gough (J)
13. Tom Hartman (I)
14. J McKenzie (S)
15. Jai Callaghan (E)

The Soaring Eagle

Allen Oxlade (6)
CHATGPT:

Analyzing the various predictions and selections for the GPS 1st XV rugby team, here are some observations and common trends that emerge:

1. Front Row:
    • Hayden Lavercombe (K), James Warner (E), and variations of others like C Ghattas (J) and F Harvison (E) are consistently mentioned in the front row positions.
  2. Locks:
    • Toby Brial (S) and Arthur Greer (J) are frequently chosen for the lock positions.
  3. Back Row:
    • Johannes Logan (J), Marshall Le Maitre (E), and Justice Taumoepeau (J) are often picked for the back row, along with variations including I Fonua (K).
  4. Halfbacks:
  5. Fly-half:
  6. Centers:
    • Tom Hartman (I) and Matt Gough (J) are frequently chosen for the center positions.
  7. Wings and Fullback:
    • Names like Makasini (N), J McKenzie (S), and J Callaghan (E) appear regularly for the wing and fullback roles.

1. Prop Positions:
    • There's some variability in the props chosen, with different schools and individuals preferring different players for the front row.
  2. Locks and Back Row:
    • While Brial and Greer are popular choices in the lock positions, there's some variation in who fills these roles depending on the prediction.
  3. Back Three:
    • There's consistent mention of Makasini, McKenzie, and Callaghan in the back three, but slight variations exist in their positioning.
  4. Captaincy:
    • Toby Brial (S) is noted as a captain in some predictions, indicating his leadership role in the team.

• Form and Performance: Many selections are based on current form and standout performances in school rugby matches leading up to the GPS season.
  • School Representation: Each predictor seems to heavily favor players from their respective schools, influencing their choices.
  • Position Flexibility: Some players are noted for their ability to play multiple positions, such as C Conna (I), who can play both 6 and 8.
In conclusion, while there are variations in each prediction, the core group of players remains largely consistent across most lists. Factors like current form, school affiliations, and positional versatility play crucial roles in these selections. The final GPS 1st XV team will likely reflect a blend of these predictions, taking into account the broader performance context and team dynamics.

1. Hayden Lavercombe (K)
2. James Warner (E)
3. Felix Harvison (E)
5. Arthur Greer (J)
6. Johannes Logan (J)
8. Isaac Fonua (K)

9. Angus Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Heamasi Makasini (N)
12. Matt Gough (J)
13. Tom Hartman (I)
14. J McKenzie (S)
15. Jai Callaghan (E)
Great team, just needs some of Joey's Taumopower in it. Cheers.

ItsNotPink

Darby Loudon (17)
3rd XV Round 3 Preview
This is the final round before the mid-season break, and we have three undefeated teams looking to stay that way. Grammar, Scots and Shore are all playing well, and have signalled that they are all premiership contenders this year. They don’t play each other until after the break, but there are still some important matches this week that could influence positions on the table.

Grammar 1st XV v Joeys 3rd XV (1:00pm on Joeys #1)
Match of the round as Grammar travel to Hunters Hill, needing to beat Joeys at home to keep their undefeated record intact. Joeys will lift for this match, as they have opened the season with two losses and three losses in a row would be unprecedented. If Joeys lose three in a row, then term holidays will be cancelled for the Joeys 3rd XV, and they will have 34 days straight training down at the Tarban Creek fields. OK maybe not, but they need to win. Grammar were very impressive in their 20 point defeat of Riverview last week and they are coming to Hunters Hill as favourites. But I believe that Joeys can rebound at home and overcome an undefeated Grammar 1st XV on Saturday.
Joeys by 2

Shore 3rd XV v Riverview 3rd XV (1:00pm on Northbridge A)
Shore have started the comp with confident wins over TAS and Joeys, and this is their third home game in a row. Riverview lost at Grammar last week and they face another tough away fixture here. Shore would definitely feel confident going into this match, while Riverview cannot afford another loss, so it really is an important game. I think Shore will make it three in a row with their vocal home crowd charged up after eating the best pies in the GPS.
Shore by 7

Kings 3rd XV v Scots 3rd XV (1:00pm on J. S. White Oval)
Kings would have been very happy to score their first win of the season over TAS in Armidale and no doubt would have used the six-hour bus trip back to Sydney to develop their game plan in preparation for playing Scots this week. The match is on JS White and you all know how much I rate it as a terrific home field. But Scots are really on a roll and will be hard to beat home or away. I think they will continue their march through the first three rounds and are highly likely to go to the holiday break undefeated.
Scots by 7

TAS 1st XV v High 1st XV (3:15pm on TAS Backfield)
An intriguing final match in this round with two teams who are yet to register a win facing off. TAS 1st XV host Sydney High 1st XV in Armidale for their second home game of the season. High lost to Scots last week but scored their first try in the match and I think they can score again on this trip. TAS had a narrow loss to Kings last week at home and should relish their second home match with a very good opportunity to record their first win. I think TAS should prove too strong for the visiting High team in Armidale, but it will be another great contest.
TAS by a margin.

Good luck to all players for Round 3 and have a great break.
INP

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fonua is also a PONI. He does not have to play GPS or SCHOOL this year.
That explains how dumb the PONI scheme is. A good player in Oz who plays all the school games and all the rep games available will still play fewer games than an equivalent Northern Hemisphere player…… wonder why we are falling behind….. lads should play more, others should have the chance to prove they can match the ones in the gilt carriage with padded seats.

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
There is a such a mess of rep teams now gone are the days when it was simple. School, rep, state, national.
Reading the pages of evidence on why this player and that player should be chosen is a brain scramble.

The excuse for these extra associations is to say lets get more kids play rep rugby.
When does this stop? Its the old adage of "when everyone gets a trophy nobody wins"
Players today have more pathways to follow than Sydney CBD. This one doesn't work out then try for six more.
There was a time when it was simple, the AAGPS teams were selected on current form and not on this team or that team they were selected in and which alphabet team they played in. It was based on actual talent demonstrated in the season played.

Players being selected on reputation does nothing to strengthen a team, in fact it weakens it. The selection of a player just because he played for the Under 16 GenBlue Presidents NSWAIS Chairmens Invitational XV does nothing to recognize the players who are stronger in form based on CURRENT GAMES. We all know who have the reputations but are there other players who are better right now?

In 2008 I was approached to be a AAGPS selector. I had five years selecting the NSWCIS Primary team and the NSW Primary Schools XV. I and other selectors from all schools, including TAS assembled at Weigall and we were given clear instructions. (plus a damn good lunch) One of these instructions was we were never to able watch our home school's 1st XV matches. Another was to ignore past form, past teams, pick on the now. Plus we worked in threes and we were not allowed to stand together. Talking would distract. I was a forwards selector and the list of skills I had to mark off was very long. In fact we were given warm up matches to watch and get used to the system. We travelled across Sydney, including High and Grammar. On a Saturday night we would then gather in the Weigall rooms again and start the process. It was gathering names first and then grading them. There had to be a majority. There were 15 selectors so there be no tie's. By this stage we had a pretty good idea of which players were at their best. It was fairly quick with only two or three discussuions but mainly the 1st team chose itself BASED ON FORM. I recall Kings dominated that year.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
CHATGPT:

1. Front Row:
  2. Locks:
  3. Back Row:
  4. Halfbacks:
  5. Fly-half:
  6. Centers:
  7. Wings and Fullback:

1. Prop Positions:
  2. Locks and Back Row:
  3. Back Three:
  4. Captaincy:

1. Hayden Lavercombe (K)
2. James Warner (E)
3. Felix Harvison (E)
5. Arthur Greer (J)
6. Johannes Logan (J)
8. Isaac Fonua (K)

9. Angus Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Heamasi Makasini (N)
12. Matt Gough (J)
13. Tom Hartman (I)
14. J McKenzie (S)
15. Jai Callaghan (E)
Must be a Typo, the captain would normally come from the leading team not the team coming last.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
That explains how dumb the PONI scheme is. A good player in Oz who plays all the school games and all the rep games available will still play fewer games than an equivalent Northern Hemisphere player…… wonder why we are falling behind….. lads should play more, others should have the chance to prove they can match the ones in the gilt carriage with padded seats.
But he is playing for Kings so what is your point? If he opted out of playing there would be a please explain why he would remain in those squads. He was picked in those squads off the back of games played.

If you are a member of these squads and you are in a GPS School you are likely to play at least 25 games of Rugby this year which is inline with most elite comps in the world.

It has vastly improved from the day of just Aus Schools and Aus A where some guys would finish with 10-12 games for the year.

---

People are confused about what team is what, but really Gen Blue has replaced NSW Schools as it use to sit and Aus U18s has replaced Aus Schools. Those traditional entities still exist as it's a separate administration with their own funding which has been one of the huge hurdles for Rugby in Aus and needed to be brought inline with RA if we are to be any hope.

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well here is what this bloody ChatGPS thingy had to say about obsession with rep rugby selections.

People's obsession with school rugby selections often stems from a combination of deep-seated cultural significance, personal ambitions, and the desire for social validation. Rugby, especially in many countries like New Zealand, South Africa, England, and Australia, holds a revered status akin to a national sport. The selection process, therefore, becomes a microcosm of societal values and aspirations.

At a fundamental level, school rugby selections symbolize achievement and recognition within a community. Players vie not just for positions on the team but for respect and admiration from peers, teachers, and family members. The selection criteria often reflect broader societal ideals of strength, skill, and determination, reinforcing the notion that success in rugby equates to personal worth.

For many young athletes, rugby selections also represent a gateway to higher levels of competition, potentially leading to scholarships, national team opportunities, or even professional contracts. This prospect fuels intense competition and dedication, as players perceive each selection decision as pivotal to their future in the sport.

Moreover, the selection process can significantly impact social dynamics within schools. Being chosen for the team can enhance social status, garnering popularity and admiration among peers. Conversely, exclusion from the team may lead to feelings of disappointment, exclusion, or even questioning one's abilities and self-worth.

Parents and coaches often play a pivotal role in this obsession, projecting their own aspirations onto young players. They may exert pressure, consciously or unconsciously, pushing their children to excel and secure a coveted spot on the team. This external validation becomes intertwined with personal identity and self-esteem for the young athletes, further amplifying the significance of rugby selections.

In conclusion, people obsess over school rugby selections because they encapsulate more than just a sports team formation. They embody cultural values, personal aspirations, social validation, and future opportunities. Understanding this complex interplay helps illuminate why these selections evoke such intense emotions and dedication from players, parents, coaches, and communities alike.

AnonomousEmu

Bob McCowan (2)
My forward pack if I was selecting:
1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (I)
4. Brial (S)
5. Greer (J)
6. Logan (J)
7. Le Maitre (E)
8. Fanua (K)
Good selection. Only problem that might be posed is the jumping prowess of this pack. Although Brial and Greer both jump in their respective lineouts, they aren't exactly amazing lineout impacts. Although Fonua is monumental in the kIng's lineout, I just don't see enough fire power in this packs lineout.

The Cleaner

Ward Prentice (10)
Fair opinion @UpnUnder I am not fully across the whole PONI scheme. All I know is that players that has been identified as PONI do not need to play in GPS or SCHOOL I believe it is up to the individual. When I say GPS it means the GPS 18 representative side. They can still play the school comps of course.

Last edited:

lineout.lunch

Stan Wickham (3)
My GPS 1st XV (Copped some heat last time)

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (I)
4. Graham (I)
5. Greer (J)
6. Brial (S)
7. Logan (J)
8. Fonua (K)
9. Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Gough (J)
13. Tombs (J)
14. Hartman (I)
15. Callaghan (E)

(This team won't get picked purely because of the selector bias)