• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

runningrugbyrules

Ted Fahey (11)
Article about Newington’s (now Panthers) McLean brothers who’ll play for NSW under 19 together on Thurs night on Ch.9

They’ll have the best schoolboy rugby player in the country St.Pats boy Mitch Woods giving them ball

A reminder of how good Woods is from his Waratahs under 16s a few years ago, Woods sets up or scores nearly every try. He could have been huge for the Wallabies. In fact Fittler, Woods, Conti, McLean etc all brilliant in these highlights and all unable to play in the Waratahs U/18, Wallabies U/18 and all lost to Australian rugby. No wonder no Bledisloe Cups for decades now and more to come probably

Warwick Wilson

Peter Burge (5)
High would probably like to add the GPS Volleyball and rifle shooting as that would give them something like 28 premierships since 2000. Only not awarded the title in volleyball once since it started in 2003 and 9 in shooting.
Rifle shooting - it’s an original sport but not sure which schools participate at TAS have collected 4 titles.
Best at sport is pretty subjective isn’t it?
My understanding is shooting is the oldest GPS Sport !! :) I know I know I know.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Newington's forward pack for not having many names with Cleverley being out, has really stepped up and shown what they are about. Huge test this weekend taking on the joeys pack but both of there second rowers work hard and will make the boys from joeys work hard for the win!
What is the nature of Cleverley’s injury? A shame, he would have been primed for a big season.

Backintheolddays

Watty Friend (18)
Question for the Scots crew. For the current year 12s through their age group there was a skinny blonde kid in the A’s who always played well at 10/15 without getting the accolades of some of his teammates.
What has become of him? Perhaps still there and I don’t recognise him.
Do find their selections odd. Bartlett was great as a 16yo. Similarly Max Patterson was best age group half (across gps imo) yet has only recently gotten into 1s

Ballscollector

Herbert Moran (7)
Question for the Scots crew. For the current year 12s through their age group there was a skinny blonde kid in the A’s who always played well at 10/15 without getting the accolades of some of his teammates.
Not from Scots but can only assume you're talking about Will Johnson, he's played 2nds for most of the year but played in the 1sts at 15 against Shore.

Warwick Wilson

Peter Burge (5)
Do find their selections odd. Bartlett was great as a 16yo. Similarly Max Patterson was best age group half (across gps imo) yet has only recently gotten into 1s
Funny. I thought the same...he stood out in the YT videos of those teams.
I thought he was on the park vs New on that Thursday in the wet?

Emmett Smith

Frank Row (1)
My Predicted GPS 1XV Team:

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Harvison (E)
4. McPherson (K) (C)
5. Greer (J)
6. Brial (S)
7. Logan (J)
8. Fonua (K)
9. Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Gough (J)
13. Hartman (I)
14. McKenzie (S)
15. Callaghan (E)
Just a quick thought, I believe Hartman plays at his best at a number 14 or 11 position to utilise his speed in open space a lot more along with his change of direction makes him lethal one on one in the back field

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
4953BCF8-AA54-4DF5-B955-0088CE03CA2D.png

Get your tips in or I will send my mate Anthony round to your place and can wake you up with his strangled squid.

65EA21D4-C403-449F-8140-C5664690C958.gif

SuperCoach12

Bob McCowan (2)
Supercoaches Tips for Round 6 of the GPS competition

Joeys V Newington: Joeys by a try
Shore V Riverview: Shore 3 plus
UPSET OF THE ROUND:
Kings V Scots: Scots 14 plus

SC out

Mosmanwhale

Bob McCowan (2)
Blonde boys name is Will? Played 1's the last 2 weeks. Patterson in 1's, is sitting behind Grover now?

Billy McGee

Peter Burge (5)
SHORE v VIEW - Carpe Diem

Every week counts but this clash carries huge weight for both teams in particular - the victor clinging on to hope of featuring in round 2, the loser slinking off into the break at 2 wins and 4 losses and out of the race.
With Joeys already at 4-1, it’s already clear that factors beyond the control of Shore and View will play a part at the back end.

Momentum cannot be under-estimated and View is short of it.
The forwards have played with heart and discipline with set piece improving week on week.
A pack of strong ball carriers - agile and fit - not the largest cohort but bending the line and in the contest each week.
Shore’s pack with less active ball runners but similarly working as a machine with dynamic players working well with those delivering torque and drive in the maul.
Bede Clout a massive “in” for Shore.
No cheerleading - both sets of forwards are capable of taking the points depending on field position.

We talk of the platform the pack affords the backs.
What we don’t reference enough is the importance of kicking game to unleash the potential of the pack, or the benefits of line breaks from the outside backs in marching the big fellas forward with a spring in their step.

That’s where this game will be won (and lost)

View’s backs have been disjointed and clunky.
Behind a lesser pack it could be 0-5 right now.
Grover and Hartman are elite - no doubt - and McGrath should not be challenged at 12 again this season.
The balance either out of depth or out of position.
Conservative passes that lack crispness - sticking to game plans without room for instinct.
Play driven by fear of making a mistake.
A lack of top end speed to go with Hartman when it’s there in the age group.
Top try scorers from a dominant 16As side in 2s and 3s when points have been hard to come by.

In contrast, Shore’s backline very stable - free-flowing rugby care of Bassingthwaighte and Conick, Kingdom and Callaghan - Barbarian style running rugby (sometimes to their detriment considering the weather) - a backline that backs itself, makes ground for its forwards and scores tries.
Charlie Francis given time and space to show his wares on the wing - coaches backing him.
This is a backline that plays the game in the cavalier style that separates quality schoolboy rugby from the 10 man, defence driven drudgery of our Super Rugby franchises.
Great to watch.

And so it goes - two very evenly matched packs with two hugely disparate backlines.
A dry track predicted with seasons on the line.
Here’s hoping the tightest GPS competition in years continues to favour the brave.