• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
You’d have to question the accuracy of the statement given the HSC has only existed since 1967 and had multiple incarnations in that period- that‘s only 57years.
Still the point that Joeys, Riverview, Scots and New is that their academic performance is dreadful for a top $30K plus a year private school

It would be a pity if the New boys don't get up there to support their opens. If the weather is as foul as it looks like it's going to be, they will struggle to keep the 16s around, seeing as they're playing first thing in the morning.
It’ll be interesting to see how newington go in 16as missing their three most dominant forwards in Isaiah sheck Iliyaz Villiamu and Lucas Broderick,

Mungo1866

Frank Nicholson (4)
Nah just you can’t find any record of those schools beating
Still the point that Joeys, Riverview, Scot’s and New is that their academic performance is dreadful for a top $30K plus a year private school
Is it really? They are still generally within the top 100 schools in the state so ahead of over 400 schools even on that flawed metric. School should be about more than just academic or sport measures at the top level
All that is based on is the number of band 6 results a school gets. it’s a long time since all results were published.
Unfortunately we don’t ever see any indication of where a school takes a kid, how they have improved. None of those 4 are selective academically - 2 at least have significant boarding populations - some from remote communities who didn’t perhaps have the advantage the same as Grammar, Aloysius or others.

wisemaan

Banned
Any predictions for the ‘Spaghetti Cup’ tomorrow I know the Shore ‘Dog Sqaud’ are coming up against a fierce TAS 2nd XV which will be tough for the Shore men but I’m sure there will be some good hard ‘shots on’ footy. Does anyone know who the ‘nico 9ths’ from lane cove or the ‘Smirnoff 7ths’ out of Paramatta are playing would love to hear some predictions!!!

Yours in sporting reason, A sane observer

-wisemaan

Syd

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is it really? They are still generally within the top 100 schools in the state so ahead of over 400 schools even on that flawed metric. School should be about more than just academic or sport measures at the top level
All that is based on is the number of band 6 results a school gets. it’s a long time since all results were published.
Unfortunately we don’t ever see any indication of where a school takes a kid, how they have improved. None of those 4 are selective academically - 2 at least have significant boarding populations - some from remote communities who didn’t perhaps have the advantage the same as Grammar, Aloysius or others.
It’s an interesting discussion. Some on this forum claim that a bad a schoolboy rugby team is ‘embarrassing’ others say that below average results are. Priorities and decisions, good luck to all the lads on the weekend.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I’m
Still the point that Joeys, Riverview, Scot’s and New is that their academic performance is dreadful for a top $30K plus a year private school
I’d wager good money that all these schools beat Shore pound for pound in the HSC. If you take a bunch of privileged kids from Mosman (Shore) they should beat kids from the very diverse backgrounds that kids at schools like Joeys come from. On the other hand, if you measure how the boys improve vs expectations, there is no contest. Also, Joeys has won the debating 2 years in a row and had a perfect ATAR result last year. . Also, this is a rugby forum.

Goon

Stan Wickham (3)
Any predictions for the ‘Spaghetti Cup’ tomorrow I know the Shore ‘Dog Sqaud’ are coming up against a fierce TAS 2nd XV which will be tough for the Shore men but I’m sure there will be some good hard ‘shots on’ footy. Does anyone know who the ‘nico 9ths’ from lane cove or the ‘Smirnoff 7ths’ out of Paramatta are playing would love to hear some predictions!!!

-wisemaan
I believe the Nic 9ths are up against Sydney Boys this weekend.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
IMG_1465.jpeg
IMG_1466.jpeg
IMG_1467.jpeg

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
Being in the top 100 out of 400+ isn't as impressive for those schools because they are very privileged, wealthy, have lots of resources, rich parents etc. - you can't expect them to perform too the standard of those selective schools but they underperform no question when you have view coming 70th. Shore and Kings coming 24 and 26 last year are good examples of schools that should be doing well and get good results.

I agree with the rest of your points though the way they do the rankings is flawed yet still on other metrics like median ATAR, number of high achievers, % of kids over 85, 90, 95 etc. they underperform.

I disagree with the premise of selective schools and this goes to your point that schools should be more than just academic measures.

Also correct to point out that there are a lot of boarders at these schools which is not the case at the top schools which would pull their results down but still at Shore nearly half of the boarders get over 90 which its basically on par with the day boys.

Goon

Stan Wickham (3)

-wisemaan
Can confirm TKS 'Smirnoff 7ths' are up against SJC 7ths.

The Chairman

Cyril Towers (30)
Shore 3rd XV

1. Mason-Jones
2. Yates
3. Sheridan
4. Hall
5. Frape
6. Lotz
7. Sherington
8. Cambridge
9. Beggs