• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battalion

Allen Oxlade (6)
As for rule changes - adopt some Sevens thinking and simple practicality that geniuses (genii?) like myself have come to accept as required:
  • if you screw up a kickoff (offside or out on full), its a free kick only to the opposition.
  • Yellow cards reduced to five minutes might help refs actually use the bloody thing instead of pretending their pockets are sewn up.
  • 30 seconds to take a place kick from the time the tee arrives.
  • 20 seconds to form a scrum from the time the whistle goes.
  • Player goes down for two injury breaks, they are replaced.
  • Any player seen to be undoing their shoelaces is immediately yellow carded.
  • 5 seconds to complete a ruck REGARDLESS of whether the ball is at the back.
  • Any form of fighting - foul play by definition - is red cards for everyone involved, and let the judiciary sort it out.
  • 5 second rule to restart a maul is abolished - you get 5 to form it, then keep moving forward or use the bloody thing.
  • Numbers at lineout abolished while we're at it.
This whole messing with the points thing - particularly reducing the value of penalty/drop goal is bullshit. More infringing will result.

good stuff p.

zero tolerance for cheap shots, foul play, time wasting.

i'd keep yellows at 10 minutes and enforce the refs to use it. 5 minutes not enough of a punishment. if 30 second from time tee arrives. need a time limit for tee to arrive.

someone also mentioned the refs reporting reasons for decision over public system. nfl style. need to educate crowds why they make a decision in scrums, rucks and mauls.

points. i'd go the nfl system. 6 point try. 2 conversion. then go league for kicks. 2 points penalty. 1 point field goal. make tries more of a certainty. teams would be more inclined to forgo an infringement penalty shot at goal, and roll the dice for a try.

that said. agree with you p. playing all blacks always annoyed me when they get a half decent lead. they shut the game down with infringements. means opposition kick penalties and walk away with a smaller score of 3 points instead of going for 7. the big thing is to heavily punish teams deliberately infringing tries.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What's the point of reducing the value of the drop goal? They're rare for starters, and pretty darn hard to actually pull off. Dropping penalties I agree with, even on the sideline 45m out, its comparitively not that difficult, due to the lack of pressure.

A drop goal will always be under pressure unless the defence is particularly lax.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Because the IRB usually likes proven examples before changing anything, that's why we had the ELV's and the varsity cup in SA is always experimenting.

RE: changing points, one reason I see to universally change kicking points to 2 is that it reduces the complication of the rule book overall. 2 points for all kicking points is a lot easier than saying all the exemptions for one or another. One of the major complaints I have encountered was the complication of our rules. Further to this I don't believe more infringements would occur. and even then we can have the referees enforce purposeful infringing with a stronger accord if that does become the case. I would also like to see if there can be more short arms enforced with quick taps. But I know that's a controversial opinion.

Battalion

Allen Oxlade (6)
What's the point of reducing the value of the drop goal? They're rare for starters, and pretty darn hard to actually pull off. Dropping penalties I agree with, even on the sideline 45m out, its comparitively not that difficult, due to the lack of pressure.

A drop goal will always be under pressure unless the defence is particularly lax.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

shouldn't be a potential points scoring mechanism. take jannie de beer. brilliant exponents of the drop goal. 5 drop goals in 1999 world cup qf v england. just deserts larkham kicked boks out in the semi.

drop goal in my opinion should only be used as game breaker in a tight context. so needs to be 1. (max 2).

Battalion

Allen Oxlade (6)
Because the IRB usually likes proven examples before changing anything, that's why we had the ELV's and the varsity cup in SA is always experimenting.

RE: changing points, one reason I see to universally change kicking points to 2 is that it reduces the complication of the rule book overall. 2 points for all kicking points is a lot easier than saying all the exemptions for one or another. One of the major complaints I have encountered was the complication of our rules. Further to this I don't believe more infringements would occur. and even then we can have the referees enforce purposeful infringing with a stronger accord if that does become the case. I would also like to see if there can be more short arms enforced with quick taps. But I know that's a controversial opinion.

for simplicity you make a good point rugbyfuture. 2 pts all kicks over the cross bar. i'd still look at 6 pts for a try.

short arm not so controversial. move the game along. keep momentum with attacking team. another stick against infringing tactics. the more sticks the better. they have to stop attacking team by the book.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

Sweet, go to the IRB & say you've got some ELV's you'd like to trial, my question is why you'd want to do it at this level as it makes zero sense in terms of prepping guys for Super Rugby & above. Varsity Cup players don't generally go straight to Super Rugby, most will play some Currie Cup under IRB rules first. If you're looking to NRC to save Rugby in this country you need to actually play rugby, not some Aussie-only hybrid.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Dance can teach Rugby a lot.

A very successful coach I know approached the local ballet company to assist his piggies with the mechanics of their lineout lifting technique. It worked a treat.

Don't write Ballet off. Little skinny blokes, you wouldn't select as a halfback, have been chucking ladies up in the air (and catching them) forever.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The mechanics and physics are the same. Weedy dancers lifting stick insects, and 95 kg fatties lifting 115kg fatties (and bringing them safely to ground) are very similar.

Isaac Newton didn't really give a tinkers cuss about relative weight discrepancies when he invented gravity. Guiseppe Galipolli proved as much when he chucked the cannon balls off the Tower of Pizza. The geeks rule the world. Us mere mortals just operate in the environment they created with their bloody rules and theories.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You need a physics lesson,ever heard of inertia?
A 70 or 75kg man lifting a 45 or 50 kg woman who can jump relatively high on their own with a running jump,is nowhere near the same as someone weighing 95 kg lifting a lump of lead weighing 115 to 130kg that can hardly lift his own legs,cos he's just been in 3 rucks.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
You may be surprised what I know about physics.

Was it an African Swallow or a European Swallow?

I'm involking rule 10, reserving the right for both of us to be correct.

I reckon after about 4 beers we would be in heated agreement, but don't think the other Gaggerlanders want to go on that journey on this thread.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sweet, go to the IRB & say you've got some ELV's you'd like to trial, my question is why you'd want to do it at this level as it makes zero sense in terms of prepping guys for Super Rugby & above. Varsity Cup players don't generally go straight to Super Rugby, most will play some Currie Cup under IRB rules first. If you're looking to NRC to save Rugby in this country you need to actually play rugby, not some Aussie-only hybrid.

Agreed.

If they want to trial new laws do it at a lower level........

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
for simplicity you make a good point rugbyfuture. 2 pts all kicks over the cross bar. i'd still look at 6 pts for a try.

short arm not so controversial. move the game along. keep momentum with attacking team. another stick against infringing tactics. the more sticks the better. they have to stop attacking team by the book.
I think it was Rod Mcqueen who once suggested a converted try should be worth 8, I think he was leaving the try at 5 though.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You may be surprised what I know about physics.

Was it an African Swallow or a European Swallow?

I'm involking rule 10, reserving the right for both of us to be correct.

I reckon after about 4 beers we would be in heated agreement, but don't think the other Gaggerlanders want to go on that journey on this thread.
I reckon your out by 4 beers!

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I think they're doing it at this level as a demonstration of australian authority on it, afterall that is one of the things we lack compared to the other football codes and as bill pulver supposedly said, they "revealed a rugby union comp which will definitely have an australian team winning it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom