• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Better execution in all phases is what makes for entertaining rugby. I do agree that a quick penalty should not have to be taken precisely on the referee's mark, maybe anywhere in line with the mark, or behind it?

Maybe play on if it's not exactly on the mark but the defending side doesn't have to retreat 10 metres??? Might be a bit hard for the crowd to know what's happening though ie some signal would be needed.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I still think you have to keep the essence and the art of the scrum. Whilst agree the process has to be quicker, we can't fall victim to the 'instant' nature that everyone thrives for, and remove what is a beautiful way to contest for the ball. It's what makes Rugby special. and league not so much ;)

I agree maybe 30 seconds is too quick but 2 - 3mins for one is too long just have the ref give them hurry ups.. we also dont want to see injuries because people are rushing

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Maybe play on if it's not exactly on the mark but the defending side doesn't have to retreat 10 metres??? Might be a bit hard for the crowd to know what's happening though ie some signal would be needed.

The defence have to back up 10 metres otherwise it defeats the purpose of the free arm/long arm penalty. It might as well be play on.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Unfortunately we rarely see referees trying to speed up the game or hurry players along who are obviously trying to slow things down. What we usually see in fact is the reverse, referees actively slowing down the game. The most obvious manifestation of this is pedantry over the mark, but we see it at scrums and lineouts as well.

In the Randwick v Easts game on Saturday we saw one of my all time pet hates - Randwick (I think but it doesn't matter which team it was) clearly won the scrum, clean ball no interference with the half or anything untoward and the Randwick centres threw a poor pass and the referee came back to penalise Easts for a scrum infringement.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Reducing the value of shots at goal will encourage teams to infringe more in my opinion.\

I've been saying this for 15 years on rugby forums, like Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

If the value of a try is increased in relation to the value of a penalty goal, what will the players do when they are defending their goal-line?

If they want to play the following week they will do exactly what the coach has told them to do: "Give up two points to save seven."

Some people respond: "But Lee, surely the referee will
give out yellow cards and the problem will be solved."

But the professional referees won't do this.

A case on point: In 2007 amateur Sydney referees in club rugby were giving out yellow cards for frequent infringements like lollies when they were trialling the Free Kick Sanctions ELV—that's the one where penalty kicks were not awarded except for offside and foul play.

They had to issue cards, to make it work, and the players responded. The ELV worked a treat.

Later in 2007, in the ARC, they were still giving them out but some of the Super Rugby referees involved in the ARC were more circumspect than their amateur buddies were.

When they trialled that ELV in the 2008 Super 14 tournament the referees were too conservative with the cards and wouldn't give them like the amateur guys did.

Instead of speeding the game up they slowed it down by inserting another level of ponderous warnings—that the free kick could be escalated to a full-arm penalty next time.

I was bizarre: some of the referees who were carding players regularly in the ARC to make that ELV work, changed to be more conservative in the Super 14.

They killed that ELV.

Where was I?

Yeah, don't decrease the value of a penalty kick in relation to a try.

The balance is about right now, and a change will bring results not expected by people who argue the opposite.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So why hasn't attacking rugby prevailed over the last 30 years when the value of a try's increased from 3 to 4 and now 5 points? Where's this going to end? When a try's worth 15 points?

The solution to cutting out cynical play has been shown to us all in the ARC: give out yellow cards from the start. One or two early in a Super match'll make transgressors everywhere change their attitude quick smart. Same with offside: the TJ/AR should call out the offside line early in a match and then you'll find players having a quick sneak at their side's TJ/AR to ensure they don't have their feet where they shouldn't.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
So why hasn't attacking rugby prevailed over the last 30 years when the value of a try's increased from 3 to 4 and now 5 points? Where's this going to end? When a try's worth 15 points?

The solution to cutting out cynical play has been shown to us all in the ARC: give out yellow cards from the start. One or two early in a Super match'll make transgressors everywhere change their attitude quick smart. Same with offside: the TJ/AR should call out the offside line early in a match and then you'll find players having a quick sneak at their side's TJ/AR to ensure they don't have their feet where they shouldn't.

Last 30 years?

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Whenever the value of a try was increased from 3 to 4 points.

I'm more questioning the attacking part of your comment. The attack part of the game hasn't really ever come into question until the mid 2000's (the peak being 2007 after the RWC Final)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sounds about right LG, I was playing in either 9s or 10s when it came in here. (And the wingers still threw the ball in;))

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
someone also mentioned the refs reporting reasons for decision over public system. nfl style. need to educate crowds why they make a decision in scrums, rucks and mauls.

We have hand signals for that and the game moves too fast for onfield commentary (remember the NFL makes a one-hour game into a three hour spectacle through stoppages, and we don't want stoppages).

However, you have made me think of another critical change that NFL does right in my opinion:

Reducing the scope of the TMO

The TMO may not be used by referees in the field of play except for incidents of foul play.

In the event that the referee believes a try is scored, the referee will consult with the defending captain to see if he wishes to challenge the decision. Each team gets a MAXIMUM of two challenges per match (successful or otherwise), and they must make their decision within 10 seconds of the referee's request.

In either case, the TMO will be required to provide a decision within 20 seconds, using any footage they deem necessary. The host broadcaster will not display any other footage of the incident publically after this time, however may pass on any requested footage to the citing commissioner.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I am a little jealous of the fans whos NRC teams will be playing at smaller local grounds. There won't be any atmosphere at Ballymore unless they get atleast 5,000.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Get 5000 plus then. I hope it happens with no NRL, AFL could it be possible?

I hope you're right Dave but most of the NRC will be played against the final competition rounds and playoffs of the NRL (G/F = 5/10) and AFL (G/F = 27/9) so they'll be plenty of competition during August / September. Interesting that NRL crowds only averaged about 15,000 per game last weekend.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I'm a little jealous of the fans who have nrc teams.

Poor bloke. I still am a little unsure where my local heroes from Easts Tigers will play. Either the Brisbane team of the GC team. Probably the same for the eastern suburb teams of Sydney. And then the Perth, Melbourne and Canberra supporters aren't sure if their favourite players are heading back home.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I can't believe you are saying this either.
It's fair enough for Uni to claim Dennis,he has played for them,and only them.
But no Club has dibs on KB (Kurtley Beale) or IF, the ARU should align them with franchises where their profiles will be leveraged the best.

Dave Dennis played for Penrith before Uni. Colts not Grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.