• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

I think the Brisbane City team could wear this old Parramatta number - Asics would just have to get them out of the closet and they are in the Bne City colours - Blue & Gold - perfect. Also perfect for the number of Easts Tigers who'll be in the side.

images

Or maybe that could go with this Parra alternative strip

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With the QRU running the two teams it will be interesting to see how they divide the talent. The most important question is what to do with all the utilities on the QLD books. There will be no teams with different agendas to the QRU and I hope Albert Anae will be played in one position for the NRC. Either a full time THP or as a Hooker. I am leaning towards THP. Ben Lucas I am not sure what position suits him now but the NRC may sort this out.

Fly Half is his best position IMO, and I hope he gets the nod as first choice for the Brisbane team. I can't see them putting both Harris and Lucas at Fly half for both teams, The U20s fly half should get the opportunity at the other QLD team.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
ECAces - I wish the QRU would put out preliminary squad lists for the two QLD sides - at least allocation of the Reds & ETS players. But I understand that they don't want to take any attention away from the Reds, S15 and the JRWC at present.

Who do our Tigers from PNG boys (Aidan, Pettowa) play for - Bne or Country??

Who will our newest tiger - Lachlan Turner - and other interstate players e.g. Beau Robinson play for??

I don't think any of them will fancy the trip down the M1 everyday if they get allocated to the Country team.

Some official names might be nice also.

None of this will happen in a hurry though due to what I said above.

I would have thought with your East Coast Aces alias I would have thought you would be getting behind the Gold Coast (I mean Country) team!!

The suspense of the squad allocation is killing me, but I'm not expecting to see any squad allocation until end of July for the reasons you mentioned and also because there are other issues the organisers are attending to first. But I don't think it is unreasonable to expect team name and colours and what they are working on, to be announced sometime shortly.

The East Coast Aces were my team because they "represented" my area. which was everything south of the brisbane river. If I were running the show the 2 qld teams would be split the same way but both based in Brisbane, and take only one game on the road. Bris South to GC and Bris North to Townsville.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd love for the NRC teams to take a leaf out of the minor league baseball teams. For them the game is still the focus but they know it's a chance to engage in a little fun with their fans / spectators. Look some up. That do things like Hawaiian shirt night. Back to the 70s etc.

Let's not take this comp to seriously or be too traditional. Time to do the clichéd thing outside the box.

Jets suggested each player picks a song that gets played when they scored. That's an easy one that creates a bit of fun but also provides a link btw fans and players.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
I'd love for the NRC teams to take a leaf out of the minor league baseball teams. For them the game is still the focus but they know it's a chance to engage in a little fun with their fans / spectators. Look some up. That do things like Hawaiian shirt night. Back to the 70s etc.

Let's not take this comp to seriously or be too traditional. Time to do the clichéd thing outside the box.

Jets suggested each player picks a song that gets played when they scored. That's an easy one that creates a bit of fun but also provides a link btw fans and players.

Geez we finally get the national comp we've been demanding for years and you want to turn it into a BBL style night out.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Yep. The most popular truly national sporting comp in Australia.

Yep and now it's completely forgotten about with no one caring until they are so bored by the emptiness of summer that they go back to it, unlike the Football codes which generate interest and coverage regardless of the time of the year.

If the NRC goes down the road of gimmicks and marketing wank then it will just get swallowed up because all the bandwagoners will be off watching other games. Appeal to the actual Rugby community who are in it for the love of the game regardless of the standard and want a real tournament to follow and you will get loyal support who turn up regardless of outside influences.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
So just leave it be? Just be content with the 3000 ave crowds the MARC got ?

If it is sustainable then whats the issue? The teams in Sydney and Canberra should be/are looking to play in grounds with expected crowds of that side. The VRU would have done the same if Lakeside Stadium was available to rugby during that time but are stuck with AAMI Park. This tournament is about developing new players and providing a local outlet for rugby fans after Super Rugby has finished, not to be some magical revenue generator for the ARU. As long as teams aren't losing serious money, which they shouldn't if they chose a suitable venue, then crowds of that size are more than appropriate for what is effectively a second division tournament in Australia.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Yeah for people who have nothing better to do over summer. Making the NRC just another pisstake tournament during NRL and AFL finals is the last thing it needs.
Having entertainment in the stands doesn't make it a pisstake tournament. Just cloning the AFL and NRL during their finals series isn't going to capture the wider publics attention.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Having entertainment in the stands doesn't make it a pisstake tournament. Just cloning the AFL and NRL during their finals series isn't going to capture the wider publics attention.

That assumes the general public is even going to care about a second tier tournament in the first place. Theres nothing wrong at all with the idea of entertainment before the game and half time but people are going to Rugby to watch Rugby. Moving away from that to BBL level (not taking itself seriously) pretty much erodes the point of going in the first place.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If it is sustainable then whats the issue? The teams in Sydney and Canberra should be/are looking to play in grounds with expected crowds of that side. The VRU would have done the same if Lakeside Stadium was available to rugby during that time but are stuck with AAMI Park. This tournament is about developing new players and providing a local outlet for rugby fans after Super Rugby has finished, not to be some magical revenue generator for the ARU. As long as teams aren't losing serious money, which they shouldn't if they chose a suitable venue, then crowds of that size are more than appropriate for what is effectively a second division tournament in Australia.

If it's sustainable? Ummm. It clearly wasn't sustainable which is why we haven't had anything for 6 yrs.

Yeah sure. Let's just let it be.

T

TOCC

The BBL went from nothing to a $20million/annum competition with ratings and crowds comparable to the NRL all In a matter of 4 years...

We could do a lot worse then taking a page out of how that competition was developed.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If it's sustainable? Ummm. It clearly wasn't sustainable which is why we haven't had anything for 6 yrs.

Yeah sure. Let's just let it be.
There are huge differences between the costs of this years comp,to the original version.
Players are viewing this as an opportunity,not a source of income.
The tv deal helps as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm with Reg on this one - got to promote, promote, promote so that it can continue to grow. If we can't change core rules to make a more attractive product on the field, then the game day experience around it needs to be fun. The quality of the rugby has to be good for sure (and on that we're heavily reliant on the referees) but we all need to contribute

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
50,000 to the A-League final last week - a sport and a competition most of us used to laugh at. They tried and failed a few times, but eventually got it right. I'm not sure that rugby is going to get as many chances.

This thing has to be promoted and going to one of the games has to be an enjoyable experience on and off the field. I hope the people running things have taken a look at what works and what doesn't with other sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.