• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
interesting tonight in the rebs brums game the quick drop goal. I know it would mean the place kick loses a bit of relevance but looking into that (from sevens) for conversions would be interesting.

I've been suggesting using drop goals for penalties. Keep conversions to the standard kick as an award for actually scoring tries.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone know how the ARU will be deciding who will be a considered a "Super Rugby Player" and who won't in terms of the cap of 16. Will EPS players be counted? Would a guy like Ollie Hoskins who has been playing for the Force but in the WTS be counted? If a player has a Super Rugby contract but no Super Rugby caps (e.g. Chris Heiberg, Chris Tuatara-Morrison), does that count?

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nah mate, the boss. "Come on up for the rising!"

Bad Moon Rising - CCR. Y'all just got trumped.

As for rule changes - adopt some Sevens thinking and simple practicality that geniuses (genii?) like myself have come to accept as required:
  • if you screw up a kickoff (offside or out on full), its a free kick only to the opposition.
  • Yellow cards reduced to five minutes might help refs actually use the bloody thing instead of pretending their pockets are sewn up.
  • 30 seconds to take a place kick from the time the tee arrives.
  • 20 seconds to form a scrum from the time the whistle goes.
  • Player goes down for two injury breaks, they are replaced.
  • Any player seen to be undoing their shoelaces is immediately yellow carded.
  • 5 seconds to complete a ruck REGARDLESS of whether the ball is at the back.
  • Any form of fighting - foul play by definition - is red cards for everyone involved, and let the judiciary sort it out.
  • 5 second rule to restart a maul is abolished - you get 5 to form it, then keep moving forward or use the bloody thing.
  • Numbers at lineout abolished while we're at it.
This whole messing with the points thing - particularly reducing the value of penalty/drop goal is bullshit. More infringing will result.
Especially as a drop goal is bloody hard to do. Three points is fair reward, even when its Jannie de Beer giving the Poms their own medicine!
I'm sure there is a bunch of other little technical bullshit that never gets used e.g. check this shit out, I had no idea it was a real thing:
19.10 Options available in a lineout
(j) Catching or deflecting. When jumping for the ball, a player must use either both hands or the inside arm to try to catch or deflect the ball. The jumper must not use the outside arm alone to try to catch or deflect the ball. If the jumper has both hands above the head either hand may be used to play the ball.
Sanction: free kick on the 15-metre line

Is this ever actually adjudicated? Usually a player has both hands above his head, or if he uses his outside arm its because the throw is not straight so other Laws apply.

Seriously, what a waste of fucking paper that Law is.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Don't agree with every item, but with most of them, and the list shows some lateral thinking.

I especially like not changing the points system.

I hope that people don't try to explain why increasing the points for a try is a good thing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some recent news re: Vikings..........

Trimmed down for G&GR viewing:

Petition calls for Canberra's NRC team to play in ACT colours

March 28, 2014

Canberra's club rugby tragics have launched a petition to have the capital's National Rugby Championship team play in traditional ACT colours, warning that links to the Tuggeranong Vikings will ''alienate'' supporters.

But the Vikings say they don't want to ostracise clubs, urging fans to ''put old rivalries on hold'' to create a pathway for the best players in Canberra.

Brumbies officials say a Canberra team wouldn't be in the Australian Rugby Union's new competition without the Vikings' financial support.

''This is the best result for ACT rugby,'' said Brumbies general manager Simon Chester.

''It's essentially an ACT team. If the Vikings weren't involved, it could have sent us [the Brumbies] broke. The reality is that the Vikings have done ACT rugby a big favour.''

Home games will be played at Viking Park because Canberra Stadium is too expensive to hire and the new Gungahlin ground doesn't have the infrastructure.

Gungahlin lower-grade player Mark Dawes has called on officials to let the NRC team wear a neutral jersey instead of red and white, to garner Canberra support.

The Vikings Group was a major backer of the Canberra Kookaburras from 1995-97 – a move many credit with the start of the Brumbies in Super Rugby.

The Vikings supported teams in the Australian Rugby Championship in 2007 and in the Sydney and Brisbane competitions. They also proposed that other Canberra clubs have representation on the NRC team's board.

''We're excited about the proposal and the pathway of the collection of Canberra's best players; it's not about Tuggeranong's players,'' said Vikings rugby president Geoff Adam.

''We're not in this for selfish reasons. We're disappointed with the negativity coming from some quarters. If we weren't in the venture, it may not have gone ahead.

''The Tuggeranong Vikings aren't a pathway to the Canberra Vikings. If we are putting in the funds, our members want to see some recognition for that [with colours and the name].

''We shouldn't be penalised because people don't like the Vikings. We're not trying to ostracise other clubs, we do what we can for the good of Canberra rugby.''

The Brumbies joined with the Vikings Group and the university to reduce the financial risk. The Vikings Group also sponsors the Brumbies.

In the past, some feared having a representative team linked to the Vikings would make it a breeding ground for Tuggeranong. But the bulk of the NRC team will be made up of Brumbies-contracted players, with McKellar, Stephen Larkham and Laurie Fisher picking the best players from around the Canberra competition to join them.

Staunch club rugby supporters declared they would not switch allegiances to back the Vikings team, nor would they buy merchandise if the team was red and white.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/petition-calls-for-canberras-nrc-team-to-play-in-act-colours-20140328-zqo27.html#ixzz2xOiZ6nOV

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
Some recent news re: Vikings....

Trimmed down for G&GR viewing:
I don't have a deep understanding of the workings of Canberra club rugby, I rarely get to watch matches when I'm in Canberra but I do know how big(financially) the Vikings are, having watched them in Both the Sydney and Brisbane comps but that article makes no sense. How can people who have put nothing into the team then want to change aspects of it?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Exactly.

From what I understand the other clubs were all included in the tender process, and as that article states will be represented on the team board.......

However, it's Vikings who are bankrolling the venture and supplying the home ground.......

It's only fair that they get some kind of recognition (name, team colours) in return.........

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Exactly.

From what I understand the other clubs were all included in the tender process, and as that article states will be represented on the team board...

However, it's Vikings who are bankrolling the venture and supplying the home ground...

It's only fair that they get some kind of recognition (name, team colours) in return...

According to austadiums Viking is a 10,000 seater? About the right size do you think?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah....... they don't need more than that.........

Brumbies are only averaging crowds of around 15,000 lately.........

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
From what I understand a club player from another Canberra club, lower grades I think, is trying to drum up support AGAINST the UC Vikings, the Canberra Times mentioned a petition which has 250 + signatures. I might be wrong. If that is correct though, it seems pretty poor form. I think Gungahlin is the club he's from, I wonder what the opinion of the actual club is? Do other clubs in the ACT support the NRC team? If so then their members and players should probably shut up. Personally I have no club allegiance, live in Belconnen (Nth side for those non Canberrans, the side where apparently NO ONE will support a team called Vikings) and just love Rugby so will be there every ganme in full voice. I hope more Canberrans do the same.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Yeah... they don't need more than that...

Brumbies are only averaging crowds of around 15,000 lately...

I was actually thinking maybe it's still too big, anything around the 5K range but still with decent facilities? Still, if the local Clubs providing the ground only fair their club rooms benefit from any F&B sales they might generate & I'm assuming the ground rental would be pretty much nominal?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It started on this article

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/26/canberras-nrc-team-will-be-a-red-and-white-failure/

Some dickhead suggested he start a petition if he felt so passionate about the issues. Only 180 signatures so far.

I haven't followed this but isn't it in the same category as the desire (attempts?) to have the Country/Easts/Randwick (alphabetical order) called Randwick?
Understandably and sensibly that was knocked back.
It seems, whether its reflective of commercial realities, that picking a name from within the catchment is not a good idea and even if the petition only has 150 names thats potentially 150 rusted on rugby supporters who will not support the team.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I haven't followed this but isn't it in the same category as the desire (attempts?) to have the Country/Easts/Randwick (alphabetical order) called Randwick?
Understandably and sensibly that was knocked back.
It seems, whether its reflective of commercial realities, that picking a name from within the catchment is not a good idea and even if the petition only has 150 names thats potentially 150 rusted on rugby supporters who will not support the team.

They need to get over it or fork out the money for the team. Im a Belconnen boy and Wests was my local but Vikings has the best ground the most money they want there name against it well there paying for it..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
T

TOCC

I was actually thinking maybe it's still too big, anything around the 5K range but still with decent facilities? Still, if the local Clubs providing the ground only fair their club rooms benefit from any F&B sales they might generate & I'm assuming the ground rental would be pretty much nominal?

The ground may fit 10'000 standing, but seating would be closer to 1000 from memory.. Allegedly they have budgeted for crowds of 1000 so this facility is more then suitable IMO.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
The mantra seems to be giving emerging or late developing talent a shot so suspect any talented colts will just have to make the squad of 30 or so

Status
Not open for further replies.