• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Additionally I think any talk of the first and second half teams being a 1st or 2nd XV is hogwash. They both were stronger and weaker in different areas.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Vuna certainly looked great, could be a real x factor for the Rebels. Has a combination of speed, size and footwork probably not matched by many Australian centres. Especially his footwork. Just need to get a little fitter.
Thought that Kingi was outstanding and look forward to seeing him partner Cipriani.
Man of the Match though was definitely Mitchell. Really surprising performance.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Thanks for the write up.

Will Vuna (Tonga) and Taumoepeau (samoa?) make themselves available for world cup selection?

I know Vuna played for tonga in the league world cup.

T

TOCC

Thanks for the write up.

Will Vuna (Tonga) and Taumoepeau (samoa?) make themselves available for world cup selection?

I know Vuna played for tonga in the league world cup.

No, these players are signed as Australian qualified players not as foreign marquee players

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Vuna openly stated his Wallaby intentions, stating his father would be both proud that he's playing Rugby again and dissapointed its not for the All Blacks or Tonga

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Fantastic match report N4cer. It's bloody hard to do in trial games and you have had a blinder.

Good news about Mitchell (his good game didn't surprise me and I thought he went great for Uni on the wing, by the way). If Mortlock stays healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see him play there eventually as there's a few slower blokes in the back 3. Am looking forward to seeing Vuna playing union and especially as a 12 as our depth there in Oz is not fantastic.

As you indicate: it's hard to assess players playing in a dominant team because everything smells like roses. But everything changes in an even game - everything - the gaps aren't there and defenders are lined up in a row to belt you and if your forwards don't show up to play you get back foot ball all day, if that.

Macqueen will get a lot more out of the Crusaders trial than anything between now and then, but it sounds like it was a promising first step.

C

CanadianRugby

Thanks en force er most useful write up by far. Did Vuna look like a 12? By which I mean did he runs lines and set up his outside runners, or was he a good runner taking apart an understrength Tonga team? I thought he was a winger when he played league, but it would certainly be useful for the Rebels, and maybe the Wallabies, if he turned out to be a good 12.

I read that 8,000 was pretty good for a trial game. Do people agree or disagree with that?

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
The great thing about the crowd was that it was a Rugby crowd. The club did little or no publicity in the build up and was hoping to get about four thousand. So really exceeded expectations. Crusaders trial match will be a great measure of a few things ,obviously on field , but also off. Could be a full house.

T

TOCC

Rebels management were reportedly only expecting 4'000 to turn up, the Rebels will also be launching there marketing campaign this week so exposure should be on the increase.

The trial vs the Crusaders will be the first match hosted at AAMI stadium, should be a decent crowd then.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Rebels jerseys are great, I also like the logo. A V shape cup with 5 stars representing their key team goals and the southern cross. Good branding, Melbourne will love them...

Better than expected but the white flashes on the shorts looks shit. Personally, would've gone with solid blue shorts.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good news about Mitchell (his good game didn't surprise me and I thought he went great for Uni on the wing, by the way).
He threw this one ridiculous pass for a try as he was being bundled into touch, a real 5%er. It wasn't a bad option given the situation but you would never expect it to stick.

Am looking forward to seeing Vuna playing union and especially as a 12 as our depth there in Oz is not fantastic.
Vuna really did appear to be a text book Inside Center. Perhaps when/if there is a post WC reshuffle of the coaches he might get a Wallaby gig as Deans likes a 2nd 5/8 rather than an Inside Center. This is all presuming Vuna comes along well.

Did Vuna look like a 12? By which I mean did he runs lines and set up his outside runners, or was he a good runner taking apart an understrength Tonga team? I thought he was a winger when he played league, but it would certainly be useful for the Rebels, and maybe the Wallabies, if he turned out to be a good 12.
He was a winger in league and I think I saw him line up on the wing for 1 play. By physical build he'd be a great union 12 so I have no qualms with him being played there.
He ran his lines very well and passed well too but cut inside too much (all the backs did this because it always seemed to opened them up). I don't think any Super rugby team could be opened up with an inside step as easily as Tonga were.

The great thing about the crowd was that it was a Rugby crowd. The club did little or no publicity in the build up and was hoping to get about four thousand. So really exceeded expectations. Crusaders trial match will be a great measure of a few things ,obviously on field , but also off. Could be a full house.
Yeah I was pretty impressive, the organisers certainly seemed shocked and under supplied in merchandise across the board. Good to see.
In regards to the Sader game, even given the amount of Kiwis in Melbourne I'd be very shocked to see AAMI stadium filled for a trail game. We'll see in a few weeks I guess.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If I had to name a XV off what I saw on Saturday night (and nothing else) it would have to be:

1. Henderson
  2. Holmes
  3. Weeks
  4. Byrnes
  5. Campbell
  6. Davidson
  7. Chamberlain
  8. Delve
  9. Kingi
  10. Hilgendorf
  11. du Plessis
  12. Vuna
  13. Mitchell
  14. Taumoepeau
  15. Betham

I'm sure as the blokes get more game time and the veterans come back this will change.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Has anybody heard about the Smith twins from South Africa connecting up with the Rebels?

LHP Ruan Smith played for TGS, Qld II Schools, and Oz A Schools in 2007, when he still had another year to go at school, then when the family returned to the RSA he played for South African Schools at age 18 and 126kgs. He was picked in the SA U/20 squad for the 2010 IRB tournament but got injured and couldn't go. He is a THP too now and played for the Western Province U/21 team last year.

More about him in Grassroots here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/3260-Paarl-Gym-150th-year-amp-Ruaan-Smith/page5

Anybody know? Apparently the lads (JP Smith also played for the WP U/20 team) are back in Oz and will soon turn 21. We could have an Ollie Le Roux walking around the joint looking for a gig. I'm looking at you blues recovery - and when are we getting details of the pro academy (or tier one players) if you know about that?

Yes, I'm pacing the floor.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Wow - that's JP on the left of the photo I think and Ruan on the right. Ruan is the star but if JP was LHP for the WP U/21 team he is no dud.

So they are in the Rebels stable for the time being as they may not have finalised their tier one guys yet. I wonder if the key question has been asked of them?

This could be an acquisition of Vickerman proportions.

Status
Not open for further replies.