• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

AJ Gilbert is one who baffles me, he was bit of a schoolboy star who never took off at the top level, albeit through mismanagment by the Reds coaching staff at the time or not.

I actually dont mind the Rebels jerseys now that they have them fitting properly and not hanging off a post-op overweight mortlock, the away jerseys look pretty average and IMO will date quickly.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Of those six players, two are flyhalves and two are opensides. Gives you a hint of where they might see some weakness in their squad. The others are (I guess) an expeienced scrummie, and prop.

Cyril Towers (30)
Alex Rokabaro is a flyhalf who has played some games for Uni in 1st grade when others weren't avalable. He also played in some trials for the Tahs last year though he wasn't in their official stable. That's a bit of a head scratcher as he has played for Fiji A. No problem for Melbourne though. I saw him play as a 12 and he looked OK.

Lala Lam is the Randwick 7 and if you think of a smaller version of TPN if he played the position you would have a good idea of how he plays. He's an ACT local and I thought the Brumbies would have him and/or brother Jack signed up by now but it's good that some other outfit is looking at him.

Dan Kelly is a steady Eddie kind of flyhalf who has played in 1st grade for Uni when Hangers wasn't available. Doesn't set the world on fire but knows how to get a team around the park.

Sam Latunipulu is the West Harbour 7 who has been in the Oz 7s and U/20 team. He has a high work rate and a lot of skill. He is the brother of gun 2010 Oz Schools 12, Apo Latunipulu.

Lua Vailoaloa is the halfback of the struggling Parramatta team and has played for Samoa. I know I saw him play in the test against the Wallabies in Sydney about 5 years ago because his name is in my programme, but I can't remember how he played. Parramatta is hardly ever on TV so I'm still in the dark.

Eddie Aholelei is the Manly LHP and he can play THP at a pinch. He's in his late 20's and weighs in at 120kgs – after ballooning to 140 kgs once. I've mentioned him before as a likely Super prop in the pro Academy for an outfit who is looking for somebody to step into the next game if there have been a couple of injuries - rather than a young prop who is being developed.

Alex Rokabaro is more an outside back than a 5/8, Lee. He usually plays wing or outside centre. He did fill in at 5/8 when Uni were in dire straits with injuries early in the year. He disappeared mid season after a shoulder injury that required a shoulder recon. The Fiji A thing is in dispute, I think. The way I've heard it is that Fiji picked an under 19 or under 20 side and played a fixture against one of the other Pacific Islands, but called the team Fiji A to lock the players in to Fiji national selection in the future.
Anyway, I saw a bit of him last season in various teams and he is a good kid. Lightning fast, with a pretty good footy brain and a good work ethic. I'd really like to see him do well.

I also agree about Eddie Aholelei. Has got a lot of potential as he is big and strong and gives all the Shute Shield props a hard time. He does fall away at the back end of games, though, and spends a lot of time in the hands of the medics. If he got into a Super Franchise conditioning program he could be quite useful.

Dan Kelly is exactly as you describe him, but a reliable 5/8 is not to be sneezed at. I know Uni were poor without him early in the year, and a lot better when he came back.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
The haif in this extended squad Lua Voiloaloa apart from his one Samoan Test has also played three seasons of NPC before moving to Melbourne three years ago where he has been the best player in that comp for a couple of years as well as in the Vic state team. He moved to Parra mid season last year and in a beaten team outplayed the likes of Luke Burgess, Josh valentine and Brendan Mckibbin. He is a really tough kid who plays like an extra backrower. He would not be out of place in Super Rugby if needed.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My advice to the Rebels would be that unless you want your vice captain becoming your full time captain then don't make Mortlock the captain.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
FROM UNICORN TO REBEL
Gavin Norman - January 9th 2011
The Victorian Rugby community will have something more to celebrate, with a local player poised to make their debut for the Rebels, in this weekend's pre-season match against Tonga, at Olympic Park.

Outside Centre for Melbourne RUFC, Chris Slade is set to make his starting debut for the Rebels this Saturday night at fullback. Krispy, as he's known, was "Man of the Match" in last year's premiership winning 1st grade side.

Chris, only joined Melbourne last year, having spent the majority of his life in New Zealand, though being of Samoan heritage. Prior to Melbourne, he played over 100 1st grade games for Marist St Pats in Wellington and was a part of their 2009 Championship side, scoring all their points in the Grand Final!

Subsequently, Chris represented Wellington B in the Hurricanes development competition.

In 2010, Chris had the honor of representing Victoria at the Southern States Tournament, being named in the Axemen squad. Given Chris has adopted Victoria as his home, it's only fitting that we adopt Chris as a Victorian.

We wish Chris all the best this Saturday night, and look forward to seeing him performing well, at all levels.

This is an article from http://www.rebel-army.com/archives/893

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is there an official format that we are meant to post articles in?

Anyway, I provided all of the information from the article which is a supporter group anyway, so they I'm sure they wouldn't mind spreading the gospel.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Luke Holes is in photo 16. Fairly experienced fringe super player...

I was a fan in 2008 I think it was when he got two huge open field runs in 3 games but he isn't really a player who can be relied on, you're right about the experience though.

Would love to do a swap with the Force for Siliva. Sigh.

Cyril Towers (30)
For those interested here's an album of photos of a Rebel training session:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1689.229451863180&pid=6179402&id=229451863180

1000 internets to the man who can identify some of the men in white in photo 100, I know one is Angus Hamilton.

Don't know the guys in white. Nick "Fanga" Phipps seems to score a lot of pics, though. Must be lining him up to be the pin up boy. That's a serious "Castaway" that Adam Byrnes is sporting at the moment. You could only get away with that in Melbourne. Anywhere else would be too hot.

C

CanadianRugby

Just to jump back to the Captain discussion, I don´t really see how it can´t be Stirlo. I don´t think you can NOT pick someone as captain because he might (probably will) get hurt. Mortlock has been through the wars, should have the respect of everyone else on the team and is a experienced player. I also don´t think that you need to appoint an Australian as captain, partly because you don´t need to be captain to learn leadership. Having Delve as Vice ready to step up in due time would be a good move, but I think Stirling is who you need for the first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.