• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newter

I wrote after the Wallabies 2008 game against England at Twickenham that Cipriani had the misfortune not to be born in the country he had just played against. His game was made for Oz rugby.

I think he will enjoy the relative openness of Super Rugby and that he will get attention from the England alickadoos. It will be too late for the RWC but his session in Oz may be great for his international career eventually provided he doesn't come to notice too much for off the field stuff.

fatprop is right when he indicates that he likes to play flat, and mix that up with his speed of the mark and ability to play like a centre in open play and you have someone who will thrive in the law crackdown paradigm.

I wish him well.

The way England are playing now, with fast ball and aggressive attack, you'd think Danny Cirpriani could be a big chance for the World Cup if he hits form. It's not as if Toby Flood is a terrific asset to that team.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What ever happened to just having the best man for the job? Politics is the biggest buzzkill in sports sometimes

Errrr. Who is the best man? What criteria should be used to make the decision?

Politics is a fact of life in most areas of human endeavour. Why should professional sport be any different?

Some teams have several on-field captains. That would not be my preferred option, but surely, what counts is the performance of the team on the field, and the franchise as a whole off it. There is a lot of politics involved in all that, and the choice of captain - or captains - is too important to be left to chance, or a whim.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Errrr. Who is the best man? What criteria should be used to make the decision?

Politics is a fact of life in most areas of human endeavour. Why should professional sport be any different?

Some teams have several on-field captains. That would not be my preferred option, but surely, what counts is the performance of the team on the field, and the franchise as a whole off it. There is a lot of politics involved in all that, and the choice of captain - or captains - is too important to be left to chance, or a whim.

Errrrrr, that's what I was hoping to prompt, rather than this back and forward xenophobic discussion. I did not say that politics were unwarranted in the decision, just that they are a buzzkill generally in sport.

I'd just prefer to read about the Melbourne Rebels 2011 in this thread rather than drifting off.

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
The way England are playing now, with fast ball and aggressive attack, you'd think Danny Cirpriani could be a big chance for the World Cup if he hits form. It's not as if Toby Flood is a terrific asset to that team.

I actually thought Flood played quite well against Australia. His kicking was spot on and he seemed to create pretty good balance alongside the two straight running centres. I do agree though, Cips could form a killer partnership with Youngs and bring a similar type of attacking play to our backline.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
either way, it doesnt make sense

I think there are plenty of good points for only an Aussie to be captain of the Tahs or the Reds and perhaps even the Brumbies.

However, when it comes to Melbourne and Perth the teams identify with a local rugby community that has more people who are from a different parts of the world (or 1st generation locals) then it does people who are traditionally from the area and as such I think you'd find they would be much more willing to accept a captain that isn't local.

What I'm trying to say, and perhaps not so well, is that the Vic and WA rugger communities consist of a higher percentage of expats then Qld and NSW and as such they'd be happier to except an expat as a captain of their team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
this from blues recovery on another thread:

There are 6 Sydney grade players in the Rebels wider training group who will be playing for the Rebels b team in this game,

Alex Rocabaro Uni
Dan Kelly Uni
Lua Voiloaloa Parra
Selala Lam Randwick
Sam Latinipalu Souths
Eddie Aohei manly

some very good players there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
others are in better position to me, but Rocabaro came from nowhere (eventually going nowhere?) in the Tahs trials. I think a junior Fiji international, he caught my eye in the tahs v Reds trial in Lismore. Lightning quick.

Dan Kelly played for the Rebels in the ARC, very well I thought, at 10.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Alex Rokabaro is a flyhalf who has played some games for Uni in 1st grade when others weren't avalable. He also played in some trials for the Tahs last year though he wasn't in their official stable. That's a bit of a head scratcher as he has played for Fiji A. No problem for Melbourne though. I saw him play as a 12 and he looked OK.

Lala Lam is the Randwick 7 and if you think of a smaller version of TPN if he played the position you would have a good idea of how he plays. He's an ACT local and I thought the Brumbies would have him and/or brother Jack signed up by now but it's good that some other outfit is looking at him.

Dan Kelly is a steady Eddie kind of flyhalf who has played in 1st grade for Uni when Hangers wasn't available. Doesn't set the world on fire but knows how to get a team around the park.

Sam Latunipulu is the West Harbour 7 who has been in the Oz 7s and U/20 team. He has a high work rate and a lot of skill. He is the brother of gun 2010 Oz Schools 12, Apo Latunipulu.

Lua Vailoaloa is the halfback of the struggling Parramatta team and has played for Samoa. I know I saw him play in the test against the Wallabies in Sydney about 5 years ago because his name is in my programme, but I can't remember how he played. Parramatta is hardly ever on TV so I'm still in the dark.

Eddie Aholelei is the Manly LHP and he can play THP at a pinch. He's in his late 20's and weighs in at 120kgs – after ballooning to 140 kgs once. I've mentioned him before as a likely Super prop in the pro Academy for an outfit who is looking for somebody to step into the next game if there have been a couple of injuries - rather than a young prop who is being developed.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Sam Latunipulu is the West Harbour 7 who has been in the Oz 7s and U/20 team. He has a high work rate and a lot of skill. He is the brother of gun 2010 Oz Schools 12, Apo Latunipulu.

Sam will be at Forshaw in 2011, he was always going to end up at the same club as his more talented younger brother. We'll miss him at the Pirates.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Haha I can see it now, the moment he makes a Super debut they will likening him to a young George Smith.

The last guy to have that tag is the fellow who was with Qld and is with the Norths now and his career never really took off.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
UREB1%20Jer%20Aw-300.jpg

Just found the clash jersey on the Rebels merchandise page.

S

Spectator101

Does anyone know who the teams will be for the Rebels pre season game against Tonga A in Melbourne on the 15th?

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
They will be using extended teams with additional substitutions so they can test combos, but not sure as to who exactly will form part of the extended team.

Status
Not open for further replies.