• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Well Danny Corcoran didn't last long at the Rebels. http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/corcoran-joins-hird-at-bombers-20101004-163pn.html Back off to Essendon in the AFL to mentor his their Golden Boy James Hird as he fails as head coach. Wonder who we will get next, and if we can get some administrators we can hold on to for more than a couple of months? Its a shame, because I really believed Corcoran is one of the better sports administrators going around.

With many of the NRL clubs crying poor, the rugby clubs here being run on the smell of an oily rag, and NSWRU recruiting a V8 supercar man as the CEO, it would appear that there are slim pickings out there in the Sports Administration marketplace. Good luck getting a suitable replacement. Bloody Forceback.

Interesting that the architect of the Storm rorting scandal (Brian Waldron) had previously come from St Kilda. There was talk of an inquiry into rorting of Salary cap by the Saints when the Storm scandal broke. Did the AFL inquiry into St Kilda under Waldron find anything?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I've trolled back 7 pages and can't find any recent information on Stirling Mortlock's fitness. Is he going to be ready to go come S15?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've trolled back 7 pages and can't find any recent information on Stirling Mortlock's fitness. Is he going to be ready to go come S15?

going by twitter:

1st official training 4 the Rebels!!! Pumped, Yeah yeah yeah yeah!!!! Body is still getting better week by week, have put on 9kg since Op:)
about 11 hours ago

Solid sleep in!!! Time to get training -2nd week into rehab running & it's all good :) Happy Anniversary @CazMortlock!!
11:09 AM Sep 22nd

Have done 3 rehab runs this week, couldn't be happier!!! Long way to go but the journey has begun. Off to the G!! Yeah:)
6:02 PM Sep 17th

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I wonder how Rodzilla went in the 1 km run. Any reports of his fitness? What's his KFC index?

If the Tah's use Carters as a measurement for midfielders, maybe the Reds can use "Houstons" for the piggies porkiness?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
MJ was right. Cipriani (possibly) turning out to be a **** after all (possibly).

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...noshow-at-team-conference-20101005-165m2.html

England rugby recruit Danny Cipriani is proving to be a Rebel by name and nature after failing to show at Melbourne's Super 15 pre-season team conference.

The bulk of the 32-man squad assembled in Melbourne today as their naming-rights sponsor, Dutch bank RaboDirect, was announced before they head down the Victorian coast to Lorne for a four-day workshop.

But the former England five-eighth was an obvious no-show.

"Danny's telling us he's had problems with his visa," coach Rod Macqueen said.

"We're working together with his management at the moment.

"We're disappointed he's not here but the last conversation we had with Danny, he's due to come in here next week."

Cipriani was the first player the Rebels signed, back in February, so Macqueen was understandably annoyed he hadn't managed to get his paperwork in order to make the move.

"There's an issue with the visa coming out of the English side of things. That's not to say it probably couldn't have been done a couple of months ago," he said.

"I won't get into that at this stage. We've been told he's not far off and will be here next week."

The 22-year-old, who had seven international caps before suffering a serious ankle injury, has in recent times gained more publicity for his off-field exploits than on.

Cipriani split in June from Playboy model and television presenter Kelly Brook after a two-year romance, and was then linked to Hollywood bad girl, actress Lindsay Lohan.

He spent time training in Denver in the United States with the Colorado Rapids soccer club, and most recently with the Milton Keynes Dons, who said they would sign him if he didn't enjoy his first season in Melbourne.

"It will be interesting to see (the shape he's in), " Macqueen said.

One player bound to be in good shape fitness-wise but perhaps not otherwise is St George Dragons forward Jarrod Saffy, who played in their winning NRL grand final on Sunday.

Saffy was given Tuesday off to continue team celebrations but was due in Melbourne early on Wednesday.

"I've spoken to him and congratulated him," Macqueen said.

"It's going to be hard for him to play in the grand final and got to come down straight here but because it's such an important part of the development of the team it's important for him to be here this first week and then he'll have a bit of time off."

The World Cup-winning coach said the four-day meeting was about getting to know the players and designing "a culture" for the side, who will join the expanded southern hemisphere rugby competition next season.

He said there were no imminent plans to name a skipper, with 13 former club captains within the squad putting their hands up.

"It will probably be player driven," Macqueen said.

"Management will have a part in it but I see this being very much a joint thing. We're all in this together."

Macqueen sounds like he's spewing about it.

T

TOCC

Dutch bank RaboDirect is the naming rights sponsor.... thats one from left field

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I just want to see the jersey with the logo on to see if it masks some of the horribleness.

From Rebels web site: http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/ArticleDetails/tabid/270/ArticleID/392/Default.aspx

RaboDirect announced as Major Partner of the Melbourne Rebels

By Rebels Media Unit

Melbourne Rebels today announced the formation of a major commercial partnership with RaboDirect, a division of Rabobank Australia and part of the international, Netherlands-based Rabobank Group one of the world’s largest financial institutions.

The five year agreement will see Australia’s new Super Rugby franchise enter international competition in February 2011 as the RaboDirect Rebels.

RaboDirect Rebels Chairman, Harold Mitchell AC said, “This is not just a naming rights deal. It is a true alliance between two organisations that place the highest value on community engagement and commitment.

“Both have a passionate belief in the capacity of sport to foster community co-operation, leadership and excellence. Our presence on the national and international sporting stage provides the foundation for a partnership that will be of enduring benefit.”

On signing the deal, Greg McAweeney, RaboDirect General Manager, also highlighted that alignment of values was fundamental to the deal.

“Our partnership will be all encompassing and we are very excited by Rod Macqueen’s vision of providing more opportunities for young Australians to have a shot at becoming future Wallabies. “The fact that the RaboDirect Rebels share many of our brand values is very important to us and we plan to work together on a number of broader community projects in the years ahead,” he said.

Rabobank has a tradition of supporting global sports and cultural partnerships. It is a key partner in numerous elite sports events, notably through its support of the world’s greatest cycle race, the Tour de France.

According to Rabobank CEO, Thos Gieskes, its community focus is a key objective of the partnership. “Our relationship with the RaboDirect Rebels will enable us to live out some of our core values and in so doing promote the interests of a state that is one of our key markets.

RaboDirect Rebels CEO, Ross Oakley said, “The success of the RaboDirect Rebels will ultimately be measured by its return to the community and this partnership provides the perfect platform to achieve our goals.

“Together we will be actively investing in all levels of rugby in Victoria, from the grassroots to the elite.”

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interesting that the architect of the Storm rorting scandal (Brian Waldron) had previously come from St Kilda. There was talk of an inquiry into rorting of Salary cap by the Saints when the Storm scandal broke. Did the AFL inquiry into St Kilda under Waldron find anything?

As far as I remember they never conducted one. The AFL are generally right into all the clubs finances. They have fined someone for some sort of breach almost every year since the salary cap came in. Just for St Kilda I can remember they fined them once, probably during Waldron's time, because club sponsor X-Box gave all the players an X-Box. They also fined them a couple of years ago for paying a player a few days early so it crossed into the wrong salary cap period, and that was after the club advised the AFL what had happened. There have been a few big incidents over the years and the penalties have been so harsh that the clubs seem not to risk it. Having said that, some of the third party deals, like the one with Chris Judd and Visy (owned by then club president Dick Pratt) make a bit of a joke of it at times.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Mortlock eyes rugby World Cup
Melissa Woods
October 5, 2010 - 5:24PM
Ads by Google

Mortlock underwent back surgery in May which ruled him out of national selection for this year but the 32-year-old, who will play for the Melbourne Rebels in next year's expanded Super rugby competition, remains focused on regaining his fitness and forcing his way back into the Test line-up.

"The injury's going really well and that's where I'm focused at the moment," he said on Tuesday.

"That's going really well and the next port of call for me will be to get training ... and down the track we'll see." Mortlock said he's back running and hoped to be able to start full training by the start of December.

Advertisement: Story continues below
"I definitely want to give myself some good lead-in time to the trials next year and be part of those," he said. The former Brumby said he wasn't concerned about running out of time ahead of next year's World Cup in New Zealand, to be held in September-October.

"Not at all although I did have a sentimental moment leading up to the Bledisloe Cup match in Sydney because it's a year out from the World Cup," he said.

"That was when I saw the surgeon that week as well, who said I could start running so it was a very good week for me personally.

"I'm focused on helping the Rebels go as well as possible and I think on the back of the extended Super season, it's a great opportunity for anybody to show their wares and put their hands up for the squad next year." He thought there were some "real positive signs" about the current Wallabies although they had been let down by their losses in tight matches.

"But you can definitely see them improving and that's a great thing," he said. Mortlock said he'd had the blinkers on regarding this week's Test selection for the spring tour.

"I haven't looked to be honest because I want to be quite insular about what's going on at the moment, and that's being focused on rehabilitating my injury."

Mortlock has moved his wife and three children to Melbourne and spent the past month soaking up the AFL fervour in the sport's heartland.

Rather than being intimidated by the challenge of his new Super Rugby outfit finding a market, Mortlock said he was excited.

"It's made me see just how passionate Melbourne people are to get behind their team so I'm very excited by that," he said.

© 2010 AAP

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
After recently reading Macqueens book I have no doubts the rebels will grow to be a competitive franchise.

The programs he ran at warringah and the tahs are remarkibly similar to one that I was involved in when I was younger, and that was probibly my most successfull sporting endevour (not many to pick from hahah). He is very professional and knows how to get the best out of people, and I can fully understand why he would be annoyed if cipriani was a no show for training.

Which begs the question, as the rebels only have one back-up 5/8, if Cipriani doesnt end up playing, who should the rebels sign as the other 5/8?

T

TOCC

James Hilgendorf is up there as well, I heard they are prowling around in South Africa for a young development fly half

At a stretch they could also use Richard Kingi

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Trawling OS for a 5/8 may well be good for the S15 franchise, but it limits opportunities to develop our own 5/8.

Key positions should have import restrictions applied to protect the local product.

Chuck 'em in the deep end. Sooner or later we will find another Noddy or Bernie. The chances of this happening are reduced if we rely on OS talent at the S15 franchise level.

T

TOCC

Trawling OS for a 5/8 may well be good for the S15 franchise, but it limits opportunities to develop our own 5/8.

Key positions should have import restrictions applied to protect the local product.

Chuck 'em in the deep end. Sooner or later we will find another Noddy or Bernie. The chances of this happening are reduced if we rely on OS talent at the S15 franchise level.

I tend to think that immediate success by the Rebels is more critical then providing depth to the Wallabies, there are enough 5/8's in other provinces currently getting exposure, 5/8 is one position where IMO the Wallabies have reasonable depth at them moment.

In the longer term, as the foreign quota is reduced, the Rebels will provide more and more depth to the Wallabies, but in the short term, a successful team is necessary to kickstart there exposure into Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.