• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I have a question that has been burning for a long time and wondering if anybody can answer and I wonder why no journalist has asked the question.

Where are the Rebels getting the money from? No public disclosure. i asked a friend in melb today re the VRU and the reported MOU between Rebels and VRU. The Waratahs have gone the opposite and pledged $1m to the NSWRU. The Rebels have joined the VRU??

I smell something funny going on here.

The Rebels are a privately owned club, with the majority of the money coming from Harold Mitchell and other board members. There is also some ARU funding via TV rights and the like, and will be sponsorship dollars and gate takings like the other franchises. Not really any different to the model utilised by most soccer clubs in the UK. Whilst as far as I can see the details of the MOU have not been made public, I would assume that it relates to cross-marketing and cooperation between the VRU and the Rebels to try and build grass roots rugby off the back of greater exposure the Super Rugby franchise supplies. It will be a strategic partnership to grow the game. I would be highly surprised if something funny was going on here.

T

TOCC

Rebels influence on the QLD Premier Grade GF team
http://sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash2/hs214.ash2/47763_465268204467_515299467_6508646_8243052_n.jpg

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
hey im not sure if this has been discussed before (and im not about to go looking through 55 pages for it) but what position is saffy expected to play? i read somewhere hes down for flanker? apparently "The Melbourne Age reported that Saffy is expected to play at number 7 or 8"
i mean he was a prop at school (fastest prop-sprinted for joeys as i remember)
is he gunna play some club rugby when the dragons finish? anyone got ne word on this?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Agree - a bit of a Richard Brown all rounder backrower as I've mentioned before. A bit like Kiwi sportsmen Weepu and Cunis: not quite one thing, nor the other.

Can't see him as a starting player but so long as the Dragons win the rugby league Grand Final, who cares really?

R

Red Rooster

"Rebels influence on the QLD Premier Grade GF team"

Given they haven't even trained with the Rebels I suspect it might be the other way around, or the Reds propping up the Rebels

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
hey im not sure if this has been discussed before (and im not about to go looking through 55 pages for it) but what position is saffy expected to play? i read somewhere hes down for flanker? apparently "The Melbourne Age reported that Saffy is expected to play at number 7 or 8"
i mean he was a prop at school (fastest prop-sprinted for joeys as i remember)
is he gunna play some club rugby when the dragons finish? anyone got ne word on this?

He was a prop in year 11 and a back rower in year 12 I read.

R

Red Rooster

Injured since round 4 - was very average prior to the injury (groin I think)

Cyril Towers (30)
He was a prop in year 11 and a back rower in year 12 I read.

I remember speaking to the coach of the Joeys 1st XV about that at the time. I said something like "How come a guy who played prop last year is No 8 this year?" Bro. Anthony's reply: "Well, you just can't have a prop who runs 100m in 11s, it's not right."

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I remember speaking to the coach of the Joeys 1st XV about that at the time. I said something like "How come a guy who played prop last year is No 8 this year?" Bro. Anthony's reply: "Well, you just can't have a prop who runs 100m in 11s, it's not right."

That's got to be apochryphal, but what a great line!!

T

TOCC

Rebels have cancelled there tour to Japan, it was decided that it was to early for the franchise, they will play the Crusaders at AAMI Park on Feb 5 as there first trial

T

TOCC

injuries probably played a part, but in hindsight, it was sort of a silly idea...
November is still the part of pre-season focussed on strength and conditioning, already busy enough without trying to implement a game plan and skills

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
"Rebels influence on the QLD Premier Grade GF team"

Given they haven't even trained with the Rebels I suspect it might be the other way around, or the Reds propping up the Rebels

The Brisbane based Rebels have been training together once or twice a week for the past few months. Not that it would have had an impact on the outcome of the Brisbane comp but shows that they are keen to hit the ground running.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I remember speaking to the coach of the Joeys 1st XV about that at the time. I said something like "How come a guy who played prop last year is No 8 this year?" Bro. Anthony's reply: "Well, you just can't have a prop who runs 100m in 11s, it's not right."[/QUOTE]

That has got to go on the great rugby quotes thread!

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Rebels have cancelled there tour to Japan, it was decided that it was to early for the franchise, they will play the Crusaders at AAMI Park on Feb 5 as there first trial

I think the tour could have been of some assistance getting the new combinations together outside of a training environment, but I am also happy that our first ever game will be played at home where the fans can see it. Also like the fact that the Crusaders have maintained their mini-tradition of coming to Melbourne for a pre-season trial. Am very happy that trial will be against a Melbourne team instead of the Force this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Quote Originally Posted by topo

That's got to be apochryphal, but what a great line!!

If you knew Boydie you would realise that it's the kind of mischievous thing he would say; so that part could be spot on. That Jaffy could run 100M in 11 secs is the apocryphal part.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
how has Lachie Mitchell been playing in Sydney?

He's been looking good and he played well for Wasps also in the games I saw last season. However we have to remind ourselves that some guys come back from playing in Europe and starting on a regular basis for their club over there only to look unremarkable in Super rugby when they come back.

But you'd have to counter that by saying that anybody picked by Sydney Uni for the finals must be a very good player and in form. He's a similar player to Rats fullback and Brumbies winger, Pat McCabe, and is even a bit more elusive. Can play 13 and wing.

But talk is cheap - let's see if he makes the Rebels run on team over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.