• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watching Boks v Lions 1997 tour - jeez its good to watch. Two class teams there. Things to note now I'm about 20 minutes into the First Test:

1) Jeremy Guscott is the closest thing to a black player on the whole field

2) Scrums are how scrums are meant to be, with minimal interference from the ref

3) The rucks are a a combination between ballet and a heavyweight street brawl. Its brilliant to watch.

4) Honiball is outstanding, but generally the Boks look a bit lost in the backline.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NTA said:
Watching Boks v Lions 1997 tour - jeez its good to watch. Two class teams there. Things to note now I'm about 20 minutes into the First Test:

1) Jeremy Guscott is the closest thing to a black player on the whole field

2) Scrums are how scrums are meant to be, with minimal interference from the ref

3) The rucks are a a combination between ballet and a heavyweight street brawl. Its brilliant to watch.

4) Honiball is outstanding, but generally the Boks look a bit lost in the backline.

Boks scored 8 tries to three in the series. Kicked just over 40% or something as ridiculous.

Yet we lost. It still hurts thinking about it. I was there when Guscott kicked the drop. A few people around me actually cried and they weren't all women.

I still feel sick when I think about it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But Gary Teichmann - what a player! Can't imagine what Mallett was thinking come RWC99.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i saw the lineups for the Golden Lions vs. British Lions today and noticed that Todd Clever (of sevens and USA rugby) is on the bench for the African version. felt like putting in a shameless plug for him since he's a fellow Yank and i'm not sure if anyone in USA rugby has ever played against the British Lions. so good on ya Todd for making it to Super14, starting in Super14, and appearing against the Lions. possibly first american to do so for each of those (i didn't research). :thumb

i realize probably no one else gives a shit about this, but so be it ;D i don't really care. continue on with whatever else you were talking about.......

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NTA said:
Joost really can't pass to his right... Andre Joubert is such a flake at fullback.

Joubert a flake? Most in SA would say he has been our best fullback. I would agree.

That was always a huge problem for Joost.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Newb said:
i saw the lineups for the Golden Lions vs. British Lions today and noticed that Todd Clever (of sevens and USA rugby) is on the bench for the African version. felt like putting in a shameless plug for him since he's a fellow Yank and i'm not sure if anyone in USA rugby has ever played against the British Lions. so good on ya Todd for making it to Super14, starting in Super14, and appearing against the Lions. possibly first american to do so for each of those (i didn't research). :thumb

i realize probably no one else gives a shit about this, but so be it ;D i don't really care. continue on with whatever else you were talking about.......

I think it's great and maybe he deserved a start just for that. Lions used him in the Super 14 as an impact player and to good effect.

This game could be a cracker. Although on the whole the Lions weren't great in the S14, they usually started games well and theybeat the Canes and almost beat the Tahs (and should have but for a shocking reffing error).

It would be wooonderful if they knock the MostlyIrishandWelshwithTokenEnglishmen Lions over. They have had Jake White advising them and their captain Grobbelaar, a great openside back after missing the last 6 rounds of the Super 14.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Think Clever should not have been pick. They have Ernst Joubert already on the bench and the youngster Biscuit fill in big boots Baywatch when he was injured during the S14. I could not care if it is a Escimo but it took away a SA youngsters dream to play against the Lions. But nevermind. :nta:

OK a lot of SA teams have been pick for the tour and surely look like our lot will give the respect and attention such a big occasion deserve. Not good news for the B&I Lions and they sure struggle their arse off against the Biltong Eaters in Rustenburg. They enter now a important part of the tour and surely our S14 franchise will line them up to knock them over. History tells you that dont happen often in the past and the first one starting tonite at 19h00 against our own Lion tribe.

SA Lions Team:
The Golden Lions team:

15. Louis Ludik 14. Michael Kilian 13. Jannie Boshoff 12. Doppies la Grange 11. Dusty Noble 10. André Pretorius
9. Jano Vermaak 8. Willem Alberts 7. Franco van der Merwe 6. Baywatch Grobbelaar (C) 5. Willem Stoltz 4. Brad Mockford 3. Gert Muller 2. Willie Wepener 1. Lawrence Sephaka.

Replacements:16. Ethienne Reynecke, 17. JC Janse van Rensburg, 18 Ernst Joubert, 19. Todd Clever, 20. Chris Jonck, 21. Walter Venter, 22. Shandre Frollick.

Now this lot showed their mettle in the S14 when they had a lot of politics losing their Bossie coach and fight back in no terms. They lost Loffie last week and the team will try and impress their new coach I believe. Baywatch back as captain and a few players will try and prove the Bok coach wrong.

Next stop is Osfontein and the Cheetahs or Tin Ears.
Cheetahs: 15 Hennie Daniller, 14 Danwel Demas, 13 Corne Uys, 12 Meyer Bosman, 11 JW Jonker, 10 Jaques- Louis Potgieter, 9 Tewis De Bruyn, 8 Hendro Scholtz (captain), 7 Francois Uys, 6 Heinrich Brüssow, 5 David De Villiers, 4 Nico Breedt, 3 Kobus Calldo, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Wian Du Preez
Replacements: 16 Richardt Strauss, 17 WP Nel, 18 Frans Viljoen, 19 Kabamba Floors, 20 Gerrie Odendaal, 21 Louis Strydom, 22 Fabian Juries.

Brussouw missing out on Bok selection and Naka withdrawing his players from Snor trial match sure the Tin Ears have a lot to offer in Osfontein. This year they end as wooden spooners in the S14 but myself believe they are a much better side to wath that tells you. They have topple two big teams in Osfontein and wont be surprise if they will do it again.

Then two other squads has been announced:
Springbokke:
(Test caps in brackets):

Forwards (14):
John Smit - Sharks (81) - Captain, Victor Matfield -Blue Bulls (80) -Vice-Captain, Andries Bekker - Western Province (13), Bakkies Botha -Blue Bulls (55), Schalk Burger - Western Province (49), Deon Carstens -Sharks (7), Bismarck du Plessis - Sharks (21), Ryan Kankowski - Sharks (7), Tendai Mtawarira - Sharks (10), Chiliboy Ralepelle - Blue Bulls (3), Danie Rossouw - Blue Bulls (36), Juan Smith - Cheetahs (54), Pierre Spies - Blue Bulls (19), Gurthrö Steenkamp - Blue Bulls (20),

Backs (14):
Jean de Villiers - Western Province (46), Fourie du Preez - Blue Bulls (43), Jaque Fourie - Lions (42), Bryan Habana - Blue Bulls (46), Adi Jacobs - Sharks (21), Ricky Januarie - Western Province (34), Odwa Ndungane - Sharks (3), Jongi Nokwe - Cheetahs (3), Wynand Olivier - Blue Bulls (21), Ruan Pienaar - Sharks (27), JP Pietersen - Sharks (24), Earl Rose - Lions (uncapped), Frans Steyn - Sharks (27), Morné Steyn - Blue Bulls (uncapped).

Emergency Springboks Squad:

Forwards (12):
Jacques Botes - Sharks, Jean Deysel - Sharks, Wian du Preez - Cheetahs, Werner Kruger - Blue Bulls, Patrick Cilliers - Sharks, Tiaan Liebenberg - Western Province, Bandisa Maku - Blue Bulls, Dewald Potgieter - Blue Bulls - Captain, Wilhelm Steenkamp - Blue Bulls, Steven Sykes - Sharks, Franco van der Merwe - Lions, Duane Vermeulen - Western Province

Backs (10):
Heini Adams - Blue Bulls, Bjorn Basson - Griquas, Burton Francis - Blue Bulls, Zane Kirchner - Blue Bulls, Louis Ludik - Lions, Morgan Newman -Western Province, Earl Rose - Lions, Deon van Rensburg - Leopards, Jano Vermaak - Lions, Luzuko Vulindlu - Sharks

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
NTA said:
Andre Joubert is such a flake at fullback.

You... Me... Disagree.

Joubert was the best fullback I have seen. He was very justifiably called the Rolls-Royce of fullbacks. I only ever saw one weakness in his play - for some unknown reason, his kick returns were good to only one side of the field ???

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That first test a few weeks down the line will be the make or break one for the tour. If the B&I Lions go unbeaten into that one they'll be on song and a tough one ahead for the Springbokke. Think the Springbok team for the 1st one may look like this.
F Steyn (27), Habana (46), AD Jacobs (21) Jean (46) JP (24), M Steyn (0), FdP (43), Spies (19), Juan (54), Schalk (49), Bakkies (55), Matfield (80), Smit (81), Bismarck (21) Beast 10)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
NTA said:
Sorry lads, but in that game, Joubert was shite.

Can I suggest that you get some more film of him?

Re PB's comment on Joubert off the field, an Australian rugby fanatic mate of mine sat next to him on a Jo'Burg to Sydney flight and came away mightily impressed with the man's class.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
NTA said:
You know A Rolls Royces can effort a flat tyre every now and again. Jouba could cut a line like a sharp knive and had some real gas on his day. To be honest I hate Percy for many a year after he replaced my favourate Bok player.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
NTA said:
You know A Rolls Royces can effort a flat tyre every now and again. Jouba could cut a line like a sharp knive and had some real gas on his day. To be honest I hate Percy for many a year after he replaced my favourate Bok player.

Joubert was my favourite RSA player for a long while. The next was Juan Smith - and more so after his recent little chat with Like Watson.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Biffo said:
Can I suggest that you get some more film of him?

Can I suggest you re-read my statement above about 740 times. I said he was shite in that game. I didn't say anywhere or at any time that he was a shite player.

Status
Not open for further replies.