• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NTA said:
Farkin streaky try by Byrne to clinch it I must say. Who the hell are the Royal XV?

Mainly players from Kimberley - Griekwas and a few from the Falcons. Usually prop up the Currie Cup although they won the Vodacom Cup, I think?

To put things in perspective - they provide players to the Cheetahs. Two to be exact.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The EEELs were terrible. Nuff said.

Stephen Jones made much of the Royals all being full-time professionals. I doubt that - can PB please confirm or refute?

Let's look at the form for a minute, to get things in perspective.

The game was between:

1. 22 of the best 35 players from four nations. In total 22 of the (about) 120 available international players.
and
2. 22 players who are not in the top 150 in RSA - if none of them has a S14 contract.

35-25? Disgraceful.

Well played, Royals, very well played.

PS just which royalty did the Royals represent?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
The EEELs were terrible. Nuff said.

Stephen Jones made much of the Royals all being full-time professionals. I doubt that - can PB please confirm or refute?

Let's look at the form for a minute, to get things in perspective.

The game was between:

1. 22 of the best 35 players from four nations. In total 22 of the (about) 120 available international players.
and
2. 22 players who are not in the top 150 in RSA - if none of them has a S14 contract.

35-25? Disgraceful.

Well played, Royals, very well played.

PS just which royalty did the Royals represent?
Blue have it partly right, the players from Griquas and Leopards. Sure they are full time professionals. Leopards the old MielieBoere or Wes Transvaal , Potchefstroom there main town. After years in the wilderness they have been promoted to CC Premier Division from this year and sure showed their intent in the Vodacom Cup as not a team to just make up the numbers reaching the semis and closely lost to the Brutes in the Ring. Pukke Club (Potch University)provide the most players and also SA's club champions in 2008 and played in the Varsity Cup final against Maties. Had Joubert as coach, the x Brutes S14 one and have one of SA first rugby Academies and one of the top ones. Andre Markgraaff sure play a huge role in both these provinces in the past, pumping money and advice into them.

I qoute at the start this match and the Southern Kings(players from the other SA small provinces , Boland, SWD, EP & Border) match will be the test to see if SA have enough players for that extra S15 team. Well they past the test with flying colours and ONeil can start worrying now.

The UK & Irish Lions are the top international players from the NH and is suppose to be a level above S14. Didnt look like that on saturday.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biff honestly I am not fishing at all. I always expect our extra stock is better in comparison. We dont have central contracts like NZ and a lot of good and experiense players running around in our smaller provinces. After watching saturdays game, one player stood out and the Lions sure would have gave their left ball to have him, Sarel Pretorius. This guy played from the bench for the Cheetahs and look streets ahead his opponents on saturday. I have mark this mentioned two games and one proved me right, OK?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Biff honestly I am not fishing at all. I always expect our extra stock is better in comparison. We dont have central contracts like NZ and a lot of good and experiense players running around in our smaller provinces. After watching saturdays game, one player stood out and the Lions sure would have gave their left ball to have him, Sarel Pretorius. This guy played from the bench for the Cheetahs and look streets ahead his opponents on saturday. I have mark this mentioned two games and one proved me right, OK?

PB, you did indeed.

I am looking forward to watching the Lions (the REAL Lions) belt the living daylights out of the EEELs on Wednesday. Going to be late to the office Thursday.

15th S15 team will be Melbourne :). I have already signed for membership.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I do understand that a SA team in a Aus conference wont make sense at all Thats why I expect we may see a S18 (3 x 9) one in the not to long future. Dont want it but it make sense, we have the stock and support to have another one.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
I do understand that a SA team in a Aus conference wont make sense at all Thats why I expect we may see a S18 (3 x 9) one in the not to long future. Dont want it but it make sense, we have the stock and support to have another one.

I'm right with you on that one.

I suspect that SANZAR (all 3 countries) has a long-range plan of two conferences of 10-12 teams each with Japan and the Pacific Islands added.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:

Lions and the Cheetahs are constantly at the bottom of the table though. :nta:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:

Add the Reds after the Brumbies milked them. :lmao:

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:

The Reds' denialists conveniently forget that the Reds were kak BEFORE any alleged milking. Not much has changed - only the names of some of the players.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:

How many games have the Cheetahs or Lions won in Oz or NZ? :nta:

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
How many games have the Cheetahs or Lions won in Oz or NZ? :nta:
Dont help much winning whereever and still stuck at the bottom of the log.

Yeah but you keep saying you have the depth when clearly you don't have enough for 5 teams. Oz hasn't got the depth either which is why half the players will come from the Pacific Islands or NZ.

S

Spook

Golden Lions team to play the Lions:

L Ludik; M Killian, J Boshoff, D la Grange, D Noble; A Pretorius, J Vermaak; L Sephaka, W Wepener, G Muller, B Mockford, W Stoltz, C Grobbelaar, F van der Merwe, W Alberts.

Replacements:

E Reynecke, J Van Rensburg, E Joubert, T Clever, C Jonck, W Venter, E Rose

Very handy side for the Golden Lions. I hope they destroy the ungolden Lions. :thumb

F

formeropenside

Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:

The Reds' denialists conveniently forget that the Reds were kak BEFORE any alleged milking. Not much has changed - only the names of some of the players.

And how many times did the Tahs beat the Reds in the period 1980 - 2004 (before the Force raids were announced in mid-season 05). Even in the period 1996-2004?

Therefore the Tahs must have been even worse.

F

formeropenside

Lindommer said:
How far back do you want to go, fos?

I said 1980 Lindommer. You could go back as far as 1978 if you wanted, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.