• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour 2025

scrans21

Ward Prentice (10)
I know this is a bit of a broken record, but if he is fit and in form then Kerevi needs to be in the conversation for the Lions tour. We play best when our 10's have a crash ball foil at 12, and none of the current super rugby 12's fit that description. Considering the Lions will likely run out with one of Aki, Tuipulotu or Henshaw at 12, we will need someone big and powerful at 12 to not only counter them but actually pressure the midfield. Likewise Skelton needs to be starting, especially considering how much pain he has caused the Irish forwards in recent years, with the majority of the Lions forwards likely drafted from Ireland.

Also I still maintain that Liam Wright is our long-term 6, and if he is fit and carries his 2024 form over to next year then he should be penciled in as a starter.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I know this is a bit of a broken record, but if he is fit and in form then Kerevi needs to be in the conversation for the Lions tour. We play best when our 10's have a crash ball foil at 12, and none of the current super rugby 12's fit that description. Considering the Lions will likely run out with one of Aki, Tuipulotu or Henshaw at 12, we will need someone big and powerful at 12 to not only counter them but actually pressure the midfield. Likewise Skelton needs to be starting, especially considering how much pain he has caused the Irish forwards in recent years, with the majority of the Lions forwards likely drafted from Ireland.

Also I still maintain that Liam Wright is our long-term 6, and if he is fit and carries his 2024 form over to next year then he should be penciled in as a starter.
He absolutey should be. Think people wanted to move on but it's clear we don't have depth to.

Picking a guy like Kerevi could open up a field for guys like Toole to be picked. If you can bend the line and commit defenders, you create that extra metre that is all a guy like Toole needs to get going.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Bundee Aki is 34 and going strong. Samu Kerevi is only 30. 100 % we should be working to get Kerevi back and firing. Madness to write him off.
The big problem we have is the Japanese club won't release him to the Australian S&C coaches. We can only call him into the squad for 3 weeks in July and November, and then TRC

If he won't get himself fit, it's very hard for our coaches to do it

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Oh yeah we'll be keeping track. I love this sort of arrogant chat, it makes the wins all the sweeter when they happen. There's no doubt we've got a lot of work to do between now and when the Lions tour, but with all the commentary from the North they'd better put cricket scores on us in all three tests.

This rot about the 2013 players lacing the boots back up and having a crack is hilarious.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Oh yeah we'll be keeping track. I love this sort of arrogant chat, it makes the wins all the sweeter when they happen. There's no doubt we've got a lot of work to do between now and when the Lions tour, but with all the commentary from the North they'd better put cricket scores on us in all three tests.

This rot about the 2013 players lacing the boots back up and having a crack is hilarious
Yes, that's what got me wound up as well. Muppets.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Can I suggest fellas, they are some kind of podcast, and so they have to say shit like this to get people to watch. Hell's teeth have you heard the Between Two Pots etc at times. I swear some of the podcasts I have seen, are done after a night at pub.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Can I suggest fellas, they are some kind of podcast, and so they have to say shit like this to get people to watch. Hell's teeth have you heard the Between Two Pots etc at times. I swear some of the podcasts I have seen, are done after a night at pub.
True, but just because they do a podcast doesn't mean shit-talk shouldn't be called out or mocked. The Lions has a rich history, and "history" is doing the heavy lifting there. It should be respected, not used as click-bait.
Plus, Youngs is English, so is used to inhabiting the role of moral victory, as is their way. ;)

dru

David Wilson (68)

This rot about the 2013 players lacing the boots back up and having a crack is hilarious.

Let's see how things go in NZ to start with, eh? Our current ranking, against the Lions, should be cricket. Wallabies are building, but we have some distance to go.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Let's see how things go in NZ to start with, eh? Our current ranking, against the Lions, should be cricket. Wallabies are building, but we have some distance to go.
Yep, some distance to go to be competitive with a team combined from 4 teams all above us in the rankings. But combination is always king in these things. We are not anywhere close to there yet, but Joe Schmidt is experienced and smart enough, I believe, to get us close.
We won't win the crowd battle - I remember 2013 well and we were out-numbered, out-shouted and out-sung.
But hopefully Joe can silence the crowds.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
What is someone in the know’s best guess for the Lions 1-15? (Or 15-9, 1-8 or whatever the fuck they do!)

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
What is someone in the know’s best guess for the Lions 1-15? (Or 15-9, 1-8 or whatever the fuck they do!)
1. Porter
2. Sheehan
3. Fagerson/Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Ryan
6. Lawes/Ritchie
7. Morgan/Willis
8. Doris (c)
9. Gibbon-Park
10. Russell
11. Van der Merwe
12. Aki/Tuipolotou
13. Ringrose
14. Lowe
15. Kinghorn/Keenan

dru

David Wilson (68)
Yep, some distance to go to be competitive with a team combined from 4 teams all above us in the rankings. But combination is always king in these things. We are not anywhere close to there yet, but Joe Schmidt is experienced and smart enough, I believe, to get us close.
We won't win the crowd battle - I remember 2013 well and we were out-numbered, out-shouted and out-sung.
But hopefully Joe can silence the crowds.

We are definitely on a build with Schmidt, the last result notwithstanding, (though I miss Rennie). We are above Wales, Scotland are a concerning number of points ahead of us (we face them in the EOYT hopefully after a win against Wales, so fingers crossed) but England and Ireland don't seem within reach on the rankings.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
True, but just because they do a podcast doesn't mean shit-talk shouldn't be called out or mocked. The Lions has a rich history, and "history" is doing the heavy lifting there. It should be respected, not used as click-bait.
Plus, Youngs is English, so is used to inhabiting the role of moral victory, as is their way. ;)
Yep mate, I not suggesting they shouldn't get called out etc, just meant don't take it to heart. Same as saying we will all be keeping track etc probably won't make any difference, because as by their comments you know they don't come in here anyway.
They would surely have a more balanced podcast if they did!;)

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ireland plus extras basically. That final EOYT test against them is going to be massive in terms of a understanding where we're at and what we'll be facing, particularly with Farrell coaching the lions next year.

Doesn't hurt that it's the home nation Joe has the most familiarity with, both from coaching them and in helping coach NZ beat them last year.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Ireland plus extras basically. That final EOYT test against them is going to be massive in terms of a understanding where we're at and what we'll be facing, particularly with Farrell coaching the lions next year.

Doesn't hurt that it's the home nation Joe has the most familiarity with, both from coaching them and in helping coach NZ beat them last year.

It also means that the Irish players are familiar with what Joe has to offer. And he had a lot longer to put it together with Ireland.