• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

League Targets

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would say you have to say Rogers and Folau were the best and they were exceptional. Sonny bill was very good too but often overrated.
No one else really comes to mind. Burgess and benji were duds.
Big dell and lote were just power wingers
I think Lote was significantly better than Del. Del had the benefit of more incredible players in their prime inside him and when that stopped he stopped being effective. Lote was genuinely good at rugby.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Hard to compare the elite league playmakers as not many have crossed over I don’t think.

Berick Barnes started at the Broncos and made the jump over well before he was an elite playmaker, and I’d say he did a good job in rugby and had a long career.

The reality is the NRL have always paid their elite halves very well. So the cash incentive for guys to jump ship wasn’t there, particularly when the best were also picking up 3 x SOO bonuses each year.

Wingers on the other hand are paid the worst in NRL and rugby has always been happy to throw cash at them which is why we see more convert.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
I think Lote was significantly better than Del. Del had the benefit of more incredible players in their prime inside him and when that stopped he stopped being effective. Lote was genuinely good at rugby.
Yeah I think Lote was better than Rogers. Rogers was good but not as good as a lot make out, there were a lot of games Latham should have been picked ahead of him

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
In my opinion:

Best Footballer (could play 10-15): Walker
Best Athlete: Folau
Highest Peak: Korobiete - could be recency bias but I feel like Koro had two years where he was genuinely our best player on the field by a country mile. Was scoring tries, saving tries and his work rate as immense. Folau obviously dominant as well but I feel like Koro had more impact for the team. Hard to judge I guess as they also played with different players so standout performances and the roles were different.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Andrew Walker could have played any sport he wanted to and been a pro in Australia. Absolutely magic to watch

Intresting that Nathan Hindmarsh almost signed with the Tahs at one point. 6'2 107kg in his league career where he was known for his motor. Interesting thought to how he could have gone at 6 if he could probably sit at 110kg. I really don't know when it's forwards. Burgess was handled like shit and thrown under the bus when I think he would of been a very effective 6 given time.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
Andrew Walker could have played any sport he wanted to and been a pro in Australia. Absolutely magic to watch

Intresting that Nathan Hindmarsh almost signed with the Tahs at one point. 6'2 107kg in his league career where he was known for his motor. Interesting thought to how he could have gone at 6 if he could probably sit at 110kg. I really don't know when it's forwards. Burgess was handled like shit and thrown under the bus when I think he would have been a very effective 6 given time.
There are heaps of guys that size in League that probably couldn’t find a home in the forwards given they’re not technical enough for 7 and not quite big enough for 6 or 8. I’m also a little suspect on that height and weight for Hindmarsh to be frank. Looking at Gallen in real life he’s not a tall man at all as an example.

He’d have not been that impactful given he was a motor player as you say and the tight 5 opposition players wouldnt have issues bringing him down. These days ‘impact’ players in the back row are still doing a tonne of cleanouts which you have to be technically perfect for in 2024.

It’s really 11-14 that I think we should be shopping League players for tbh. Even 13 would be a huge ask defensively because it is so different. I’ve never felt more so that the two sports are really very unlike each other.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gallen is 5'11 though. If we only played Rugby here he's more suited to being a Hooker than anything else with his bulk.

We have a lot limp types filling jobs in second row positions around the world. I reckon they'd go fine when a guy like Hindmarsh is the same size as Kolisi... It's all a thought game and fun what ifs.

In terms of backs its the Morris brother types I'd want. Big, fast, skilled and disciplined.

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
You cant judge the size of the players during their league days. It’s a more cardio based sport and requires a slightly different frame. Someone like Gallen I think would have been a prop or hooker if identified when he was 17. He could have easily been 115-120kg. He’s quite a similar frame to someone like Stephen Kitschoff. One thing we do know is he’s got an incredible motor and is as tough as anyone.

If there was no NRL and all the hardmen that are playing NRL in the forwards were playing union from a young age, we would have a plethora of backrow and front row options. Most the guys would be 10kg heavier. Aussie teams would be more competitive with more money, therefore the Skeltons, Arnold’s etc. wouldn’t be playing overseas and we’d be consistently one of the best teams.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not so much a Wallabies target as a rugby one in general, but there's a bit of a stoush brewing in the NRL over Kallyn Ponga's decision to from Kangaroo's selection this year with V'landys launching an investigation into his decision:

Apparently it could go as far as a ban from some number of NRL games next year:

While it seems unlikely to go that far, an outcome like that could easily drive him out of the game. The All Blacks might cool on bringing him over under those terms, but the way they manage game time it might not be a huge deal, and French/Japanese rugby would be happy to snap up a guy turning down rep opportunities.