• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Or perhaps Patston didn't want to remain on tour and be a distraction and provide unwanted tension by being around in the lead up to a test match.

She won't be bugged by media by coming home, whereas if KB (Kurtley Beale) was sent home there would be media scrums at Mascot waiting.

yeah she hasn't been bugged by the media at all

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
No, the right thing to do by the team was stay. By leaving, she has given the whole situation an air of seriousness that may not be warranted.

If she had stayed the most we would have likely heard about this would have been a tidbit in a grumbles column.

How do you know it would be the right thing to do? It may be serious. Just because she works for a high profile organisation should not eliminate her right to remove herself from a situation.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
KB (Kurtley Beale) in trouble; ARU coverups; Link's management/coaching under fire; lost luggage; S Finger likely never to see his again; Dingo's spectre rising; Jake White back on the streets; possible ISIS links; Ebola spreading; this song:

I reckon the boys will have a cracker this weekend! Wallabies by 40!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Kurtleys obviously said something that has ruined his relationship with Patston. Considering she is the de facto team manager, and his apology was not accepted, in the long term that means either he goes or she goes.

We can hypothesise that the reason he hasn't been sent home is because the rest of the squad including maybe Link, didn't think what he said was that bad, or couldn't empathise with the offence she took to it. Ergo it wasn't grounds for dismissal, but it has ruined a working relationship.

I don't like that Patston didn't remain on tour. If she is running the show like her job description insinuates than she should have stayed the course, if only to show the other members of the squad that she means business. But again, we lack details. Was it her decision to leave or was she sent home?

At the end of the day, players and staff will come and go. The important thing is that the squad as a whole still respects Link's judgement.

I don't think it is too far fetched that both parties in this incident will find themselves employed elsewhere in the near future.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Still lot's of speculation despite what was widely believed yesterday having been shown to be wrong.

I totally fail to see how KBs action is a reflection of some failure on Link's behalf. This was not an argument with one staff member, Patston got involved because Beale was being difficult with someone else. How many instances with bouncers and team mates are needed to convince some people? He tried to apologise so maybe if we are reading into everything that is actually a positive associated with Link's tenure.

The ABs seem to be held as some gold standard but have a look at there recent issues and it is hardly an image with a lot of basis in reality. Does that mean Henry and Hansen are bad people managers and should have been relieved of there duties? Fuck no. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Agree and depending on the nature of the particular bee in KB (Kurtley Beale)'s bonnet at the time if Link did stand back it may have been to give Patston the thumbs up with how she was dealing with it.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Surprised it took this long but there's just been a "story" on 9's sports news that "KB (Kurtley Beale) may be off to the NRL".

T

Train Without a Station

I think the Dublin 5 incident is why Beale is still there. There is still negatively publicity being thrown around by that fuckwit Growden. Perhaps they have agreed to ARU will deal with all issues, not Link and therefore they want to fully resolve it and determine the facts before acting.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Still lot's of speculation despite what was widely believed yesterday having been shown to be wrong.

I totally fail to see how KBs action is a reflection of some failure on Link's behalf. This was not an argument with one staff member, Patston got involved because Beale was being difficult with someone else. How many instances with bouncers and team mates are needed to convince some people? He tried to apologise so maybe if we are reading into everything that is actually a positive associated with Link's tenure.

The ABs seem to be held as some gold standard but have a look at there recent issues and it is hardly an image with a lot of basis in reality. Does that mean Henry and Hansen are bad people managers and should have been relieved of there duties? Fuck no. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

I think we need to accept that in the environment of professional rugby, Aussie Rule, league, soccer, cricket et al teams that individual behaviour issues will always arise. The extent and the frequency have a significant correlation to the culture within the extended group and the leadership provided by the coach, officials, senior players and administration. I think it's fair to say that link inherited a situation where the extent and frequency of misbehaviour were unnacceptable and the leadership of the time failed.

Link has done a pretty good job and he's always struck me as someone who is pretty good at man management and leadership.

I don't think that an argument on a plane between a player and an official qualifies as a break down in culture. Clearly the player concerned made comments towards the official, but what we don't know :
Was the original comment a smart arse one, or disrespectful or insulting or offensive or threatening.
How did the official respond - did she engage on the same level or did she play a straight bat and remain calm and professional
How long did the exchange last - one or two comments each or did this last for minutes.

His behaviour on the scant evidence so far seems unacceptable within a team environment, but we don't really have any idea as to the seriousness or otherwise of it. Just because someone refuses to accept an apology doesn't necessarily elevate the behaviour to the highest level of seriousness.

As I understand KB (Kurtley Beale)'s status, he is under contract to the Waratahs and Wallabies until the end of 2014. An offer has been tabled, but he has not yet accepted the offer. Withdrawal of the offer would seem a fairly simple way of ending the matter.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
How Kurtley Beale was saved by Wallaby player power

Date
October 4, 2014 - 9:45AM
georginarobinson.gif

Georgina Robinson

Chief Rugby Reporter

Kurtley Beale dumped from Wallabies

Star back Kurtley Beale is left out of the Wallabies squad, as Ewen McKenzie overhauls his bench ahead of their Rugby Championship clash against Argentina.
  • Autoplay ONOFF
  • Video feedback
  • Video settings
Mendoza: A last-ditch intervention from senior players helped save Kurtley Beale from being sent home from the Wallabies' drama-plagued trip to Argentina.
As the playing group rallied around their under-fire team mate this week, Fairfax Media has learned that three of the most senior players in the Wallabies squad met coach Ewen McKenzie on Monday in an attempt to mitigate the fall-out from Beale's verbal stoush with team business manager Di Patston a day earlier.
It is understood Wallabies captain Michael Hooper and vice captains James Slipper and Adam Ashley-Cooper spoke to McKenzie at the Emperador Hotel in Buenos Aires about what they could do to salvage the side's preparation for their final Rugby Championship clash with the Pumas on Saturday.
Article%20Lead%20-%20wide6166214510q67bimage.related.articleLeadwide.729x410.10pmtd.png1412379814407.jpg-620x349.jpg
Up in the air: Wallabies utility back Kurtley Beale training in Mendoza. Photo: Getty Images

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/australia-rugby/how-kurtley-beale-was-saved-by-wallaby-player-power-20141003-10pmtd.html#ixzz3F89tfnrF

Please don't quote entire articles. Thank you - Sully

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
More smoke, less fire spotted. The waters remain very turbid.

All witnesses seem reluctant to discuss details as it right and proper with an investigation going on from the Head Office, and a Test to prepare for.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I have been watching this post with interest during my time away. There is a lot of speculation here about something we know little about. It smells of a 'storm in a teacup' to me.

Trying to think rationally and objectively, this is what I reckon has happened:
- Patston has noticed that Carter and Beale are wearing different shirts to the others and tells Link to ask them change, which Beale overhears..
- they go to the bathrooms to change and on the way back Beale says to Patston something along the lines of 'you could have fucking suggested that when we were in our 4 hour transit rather than waiting till we were on the plane'..
- a spat breaks out during which Beale tells her half the team hates her, but the insults go both ways
- for whatever reason she (not Beale) is sent home but its agreed to say she went of her own accord.
- meanwhile the media get hold of it and due to his past try to get us to believe that Beale is on the piss on the plane at 6am sitting amongst all his team mates and coaching staff
- Links view is that it wasn't a big deal and can be dealt with internally and also possibly because of doubt over To'omua declares that he is available for selection
- Pulver pulls ranks and runs all sorts of 'what if' scenarios by him and tells Link to 'suspend' him from selection until it is dealt with..
- TBC

My alternative theory is that the ARU has found out that he 'has a better offer' for next season and is going to use the event deliberately to discredit him and make it appear that he has been sacked rather than leaving due to discontent..

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Suggested that the players were able to turn back plans to send him home, though the actual paragraph about the meeting between Hooper et al and Link actually just says they were meeting re prep for the match.

I hope that isn't true that the players were able to influence the process.

Although, if one reads the article, rather than just the headline and the reporter's take on it there is nothing unusual going on.

three of the most senior players in the Wallabies squad met coach Ewen McKenzie on Monday in an attempt to mitigate the fall-out from Beale's verbal stoush with team business manager Di Patston a day earlier.

what they could do to salvage the side's preparation for their final Rugby Championship clash with the Pumas on Saturday.

"Like any business, we're a big part of it, being the leadership group," Hooper said at the team's captain's run on Friday.
"Of course we're going to have discussions with the coaching staff about processes and matters within the team.

Hardly anything unusal here I'd have thought.

The Higginbothom love had nothing to do with the meeting or the headline. More great journalism from GR.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have been watching this post with interest during my time away. There is a lot of speculation here about something we know little about. It smells of a 'storm in a teacup' to me.

- Patston has noticed that Carter and Beale are wearing different shirts to the others and tells Link to ask them change, which Beale overhears..
- they go to the bathrooms to change and on the way back Beale says to Patston something along the lines of 'you could have fucking suggested that when we were in our 4 hour transit rather than waiting till we were on the plane'..
- a spat breaks out during which Beale tells her half the team hates her, but the insults go both ways
- for whatever reason she (not Beale) is sent home but its agreed to say she went of her own accord.
- meanwhile the media get hold of it and due to his past try to get us to believe that Beale is on the piss on the plane at 6am sitting amongst all his team mates and coaching staff
- Links view is that it wasn't a big deal and can be dealt with internally and also possibly because of doubt over To'omua declares that he is available for selection
- Pulver pulls ranks and runs all sorts of 'what if' scenarios by him and tells Link to 'suspend' him from selection until it is dealt with..
- TBC

My alternative theory is that the ARU has found out that he 'has a better offer' for next season and is going to use the event deliberately to discredit him and make it appear that he has been sacked rather than leaving due to discontent..

Perhaps a little more than a storm in a tea cup, but hardly up there with invading Czechoslovakia either.

Your scenario is just as plausible as any other that has been advanced.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

- TBC

You don't look to have tried very hard there...

Status
Not open for further replies.