• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You have to choose your battles. Standing by a team mate who has sexually harassed and bullied an ARU employee is not the right battle to choose.
I agree with that yes, dont take it the wrong way. following the thread nobody agrees with what KB (Kurtley Beale) did, said, and his behaviour - I certainly don't.

All I'm saying is that as a players group they outcome may really bond the unit, and this could be the positive

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As I said yesterday, there's no way Hooper would have made his comments at the airport unless he had discussed the matter with his team mates and was sure that most if not all of them supported KB (Kurtley Beale). Some tried to riducule this, all comments by players since confirm my view.

I'm not saying I agree with the player view, it's just how I saw it and continue to see it.

As I said in answer to the criticism

The players thoughts may (and I say may) go something like this:

The text messages were wrong, but KB (Kurtley Beale) has been punished for that already back in June and we don't think it's right that he is punished a 2nd time for the same thing. We were all on the plane and we saw the argument and KB (Kurtley Beale) was wrong to have the incorrect shirt on, but from what we saw they were both at fault for the slanging match.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Guys let's not forget there are humans involved here, and Kurtley and Di have some people by his side. Could be worth burying this now so it doesn't become a different topic.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've just read the article in the Courier Mail -- fuck me dead. Please tell me the players aren't really going to demand that KB (Kurtley Beale) stays in the squad. If they get their way and he does, then I'm done supporting the Wallabies for a long time to come, because if that's the ethos of our representative team I want no part of it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As I said yesterday, there's no way Hooper would have made his comments at the airport unless he had discussed the matter with his team mates and was sure that most if not all of them supported KB (Kurtley Beale). Some tried to riducule this, all comments by players since confirm my view.

I'm not saying I agree with the player view, it's just how I saw it and continue to see it.

As I said in answer to the criticism

The players thoughts may (and I say may) go something like this:

The text messages were wrong, but KB (Kurtley Beale) has been punished for that already back in June and we don't think it's right that he is punished a 2nd time for the same thing. We were all on the plane and we saw the argument and KB (Kurtley Beale) was wrong to have the incorrect shirt on, but from what we saw they were both at fault for the slanging match.

But he was never punished a first time...............

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
maybe in Australian culture niot just rugby culture - imagine league FFS

I suspect that there are many young people (15-30 years old), who take a distinctly different view of these things than the majority of posters on this thread. Again, I'm not saying I agree with their view, but I think it's a reality that some of the more hysterical posters need to consider.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
To be honest it doesn't really bother me that the players are trying to campaign for Beale to keep his job. That's what mate's do. They support each other even when no one else will.

The way they are supporting him though leads me to believed that Di must have been pretty unpopular amongst the playing group

T

Tip

“Kurtley Beale has the full support of the player group and, while his circulation of a lewd photograph was childish, it is hardly sackable. The group want him to go with them to the World Cup and, if he is sacked, others will follow him out the door.”

I, for one, hopes that Emac & Pulver call their bluff and send the lot packing.

Whoever is making these threats should shrivel up into a baby and crawl back into their mothers womb because they are not, NOT, NOT the type of people I want representing Australia.

"I walked out on Australian Rugby because they sacked my mate Kurtley Beale after his 1 millionth digression, where he sexually harassed the team manager."

I'd hate to go with state lines here, but Kurtley's closest friends would be the Tah' contingent (the same contingent that spent the entire preseason and Super rugby campaign bitching about Di... the result: Kurtley send those messages after knowing her FOR ONE DAY!) - and it's not a hazard to guess who would want to follow him out the door...

Solution: show whoever supports Beale the door. Make them choose between the honour of playing FOR your country (I think KB (Kurtley Beale) plays for himself) and hanging out with a dropkick in Europe. The only WallaTah player that doesn't have a ready made replacement for next years World Cup is Kepu.

We can lose Robinson, TPN, Palu, Phipps, Foley, Beale, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau, Skelton and Hooper, as we have Moore, Higgers, Genia, Cooper, Godwin, Leali'ifano, O'Connor, Speight, Pocock and Hunt returning into the fold.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I've just read the article in the Courier Mail -- fuck me dead. Please tell me the players aren't really going to demand that KB (Kurtley Beale) stays in the squad. If they get their way and he does, then I'm done supporting the Wallabies for a long time to come, because if that's the ethos of our representative team I want no part of it.

Yep. If true, turf the lot of them. Management cannot meekly appease them over this. You've got to stand for something.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I, for one, hopes that Emac & Pulver call their bluff and send the lot packing.

Whoever is making these threats should shrivel up into a baby and crawl back into their mothers womb because they are not, NOT, NOT the type of people I want representing Australia.

"I walked out on Australian Rugby because they sacked my mate Kurtley Beale after his 1 millionth digression, where he sexually harassed the team manager."

I'd hate to go with state lines here, but Kurtley's closest friends would be the Tah' contingent (the same Tah contingent that spent the entire preseason and Super rugby campaign bitching about Di. if they weren't bitching about him then why would Kurtley send those messages after knowing her FOR ONE DAY!) - and it's not a hazard to guess who would want to follow him out the door.

Solution: show whoever supports Beale the door. Make them choose between the honour of playing FOR your country (I think KB (Kurtley Beale) plays for himself) and hanging out with a dropkick in Europe. The only WallaTah player that doesn't have a ready made replacement for next years World Cup is Kepu.

We can lose Robinson, TPN, Palu, Phipps, Foley, Beale, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau, Skelton and Hooper, as we have Moore, Higgers, Genia, Cooper, Godwin, Leali'ifano, O'Connor, Speight, Pocock and Hunt returning into the fold.

Isn't Quade one of his best mates?:)

Closely followed by JOC (James O'Connor)?;)

What makes you think some if not most wouldn't hold the same views as the current players?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Whether or not Patston followed due process is the mother of all red herrings here. Just like the earlier questioning of her qualifications, it's all just obfuscation. To me, it's as simple as this:

Beale sent highly inappropriate texts re: someone in a management position. In the interests of team harmony, she gave him benefit of doubt and attempted to keep issue in house and resolved quietly. Beale reneges on this agreement and humiliates her publicly again.

Beale is the only one in the wrong here. Maybe she should have brought this to managements attention right away, but it's just not the issue here. The issue is Beale and his nasty and disruptive behaviour. I believe Patston's only error was naively believing Beale was capable of genuine remorse and self-reflection.

Ok, so not to stir the pot, but if you choose to read the case study at the bottom of the attached document

http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au/biz_res/oirwww/pdfs/workplace_pp.pdf

(and the whole document) you may get a potential glimpse of a defence (I am not condoning Beales behaviour!)'.

The potential considerations are:

- did the ARU enforce any / all policies and if so were they done correctly. EG; legally with correct formalities? (based on their recent history of having repeat incidents this could be arguable).

- were all the employees aware of the polices and aware of their roles and responsibilities?

Now, this is the uncomfortable bit, and without evidence it hard to judge as it could be a result of poor judgement. poor training, or for reasons unknown (I am not apportioning blame!)

When the text were received, a) is there any compulsory reporting requirements for ARU employees (all levels and also consider is this to help protect employees), and was their any conflict of interest by any of those who received the texts?

A conflict of interest (COI) arises when a workplace participant has a “secondary interest” which could improperly influence the performance of the workplace participant’s duties and responsibilities in their work for the employer.

COI EG's - potentialities - Are there possible benefits for me now, or in the future, that have the potential to cast doubt on my objectivity in this situation?
- perception - Remembering that perception is important in maintaining integrity, how will others perceive my involvement in this situation or potential for loss of objectivity?
-proportionality - Does my involvement in this situation appear fair and reasonable, when taken in context?
-promises - Have I made any promises or commitments in relation to the matter? Do I stand to gain or lose from the proposed action/decision?

In reality this is a very messy matter and far more complex that most may realise. In most situations like this, there tends to be no immunity regardless of the position in the organisation.

I believe the current WHS requirements provide obligations on all persons in the workspace, and usually holds both employee and employer equally accountable until evidence shows otherwise.

I doubt this issue will be able to be compartmentalised to certain sections of the ARU.

The information I have supplied / referenced is all available via google.

This post is intended only as a discussion piece and not reflective of my personal views.

Status
Not open for further replies.