• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Israel Folau can send this thread to hell and no others

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

It's not the same, though. Potgieter used a homophobic slur on the field, directed at another player. It's clearly not appropriate and the punishment fit the crime.

In this case, Folau is using his personal social media to profess his personally held religious view. Of course it was a really dumb thing to post, but it's not the same as what Potgieter did IMO, and it's much harder to punish him for doing it.

That's not to say it's acceptable, and there should be some action behind the scenes. But I'm not sure sending him to Convicts training is the answer.

Potgeiters comment were prior to the inclusion policy were they not?
Rugby Australia now has a policy which addresses this exact kind of thing, there’s no ambiguity on their stance on the issue, and players signatories of these policies. If anything that would make it easier to reprimand Folau then Potgeiter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think what Folau said is substantially worse because it is clearly a view he holds whereas what Potgieter did in making a homophobic slur was largely childish (albeit hurtful) but I don't think it reflected his actual views.

He can learn from that that his words affect people and he needs to choose them more carefully. I don't think he needed to learn that actually gay people are just the same as everyone else and not inferior etc.

I don't think Folau's views are likely to change by hanging out with some gay rugby players. If anything he's likely to tell them to their face that they're going to hell unless they repent their sins and change their ways.

I don't think it holds true that Folau's social media accounts give him an avenue to say what he wants in complete isolation to his employer and his profile as a Wallaby. They are far too connected.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Maybe he is gay himself, and is going through a deep internal struggle?

That's how I see it.

NSFW play the Blues next month, hope the good guys are already sorting an away strip of neon pink with pink headbands and pink boots and extremely tiny little pink shorts.

No particular reason why, just sowing the seeds of confusion for the homophobe at the back.....

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I think what Folau said is substantially worse because it is clearly a view he holds whereas what Potgieter did in making a homophobic slur was largely childish (albeit hurtful) but I don't think it reflected his actual views.

He can learn from that that his words affect people and he needs to choose them more carefully. I don't think he needed to learn that actually gay people are just the same as everyone else and not inferior etc.

I don't think Folau's views are likely to change by hanging out with some gay rugby players. If anything he's likely to tell them to their face that they're going to hell unless they repent their sins and change their ways.

I don't think it holds true that Folau's social media accounts give him an avenue to say what he wants in complete isolation to his employer and his profile as a Wallaby. They are far too connected.

Potgieter is not a wallaby. Folau is.
Potgieter isn't one of the major faces of Australian rugby in all promotional material - most casual fans who have no idea who he is. Folau is the biggest name in Australian rugby due partially to playing in the other codes.
Potgieter said it on the field with a few people overhearing it. Folau said it online to the world.

Cricket Australia just lost the Magellan sponsorship due to the actions of some of the players. Like it or not, Folau has put the Qantas sponsorship at risk.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

I largely agree. But my point wasn't about better or worse, it was about the response. It was easy to punish Jacpot, because it fell clearly within the bounds of the Waratahs, and there was an easy fix to the problem.

What can RA actually do here? Sending him to inclusiveness camp is all well and good, but that's not going to solve the problem.

Folau is still going to believe what he believes. The answer is to just get him to shut the hell up about it. I'd be leaning heavily on his manager to try and police his posts better, and giving him a boot up the arse behind the scenes. But I can't see any other effective measures that RA can employ.

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
They should fine him on this occasion and demand tighter control of his social media. I'd also be issuing him with a warning that further indiscretions will result in heavier fines or playing bans.

If I were RA I'd also be donating his fine to a LGBTQ community group to show they're serious about the policy.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If it came down to a choice between your major sponsor and Folau, you sack the fluffybunny surely.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
They should fine him on this occasion and demand tighter control of his social media. I'd also be issuing him with a warning that further indiscretions will result in heavier fines or playing bans.

If I were RA I'd also be donating his fine to a LGBTQ community group to show they're serious about the policy.

I'm not sure they have the authority to fine him for expressing his religious views.

The RA inclusiveness policy doesn't stipulate any punishments for contravening its rules.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What can RA actually do here? Sending him to inclusiveness camp is all well and good, but that's not going to solve the problem.

Folau is still going to believe what he believes. The answer is to just get him to shut the hell up about it. I'd be leaning heavily on his manager to try and police his posts better, and giving him a boot up the arse behind the scenes. But I can't see any other effective measures that RA can employ.

Yes, I think the public extent of their actions is something like this and far more is done behind the scenes to try and prevent it from happening again and smoothing things over with Qantas and any other sponsors that are unhappy about it.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Gay Marriage brigade can't have their cake and eat it too.

If your going to argue that marriage isn't a religious word. Then don't argue about the fictious realm of heaven and hell.

There is a bad connotation here with the term "go to hell" that term is saved for scumbags. but in a religious context by the letter of the rulebook "The bible" then going to hell is for the people who sinned.

Israel was asked a question and he answered it. Israel did not use any derrogatry term. Lets all just move on.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I reckon they'll nut him. In the current pitchforks and social media outrage environment, particularly as it relates to the cricketers, RA and the new CEO will have to be seen to be firm as fuck.

It's a stupid thing for him to put on social media in this day and age. People are free to worship whatever fictional entity they choose, but the guy should know what to expect when he puts shite like that into the public domain.

The risk is that he tells RA to go fuck themselves and heads off to France with his new bride and eclipses the Barrett and Carter contracts.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
there are a lot of mixed up kids out there who are potentially suicidal over their sexuality, they don't need high profile people denigrating them as well. Folau and any other backward Philistines out there should be more thoughtful. A big ask though.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yep. It's never going to be about the views that he holds, as much as the mob will force that angle, it's (correctly, imo) going to be about when and where a high profile *idol* chooses to air them.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Context. He didn’t say go to hell. He was asked where gay people go and he responded ‘hell’. In the religious sense

Secondly he thought he was having a private conversation albeit on social media. Given what transpired later he would be forgiven for thinking he was stitched up. It certainly reads like he was baited, the dude that asked the question knew what the answer was going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Gay Marriage brigade can't have their cake and eat it too.

If your going to argue that marriage isn't a religious word. Then don't argue about the fictious realm of heaven and hell.

There is a bad connotation here with the term "go to hell" that term is saved for scumbags. but in a religious context by the letter of the rulebook "The bible" then going to hell is for the people who sinned.

Israel was asked a question and he answered it. Israel did not use any derrogatry term. Lets all just move on.
Hell isnt mentioned in the bible once. What are you even talking about?

Of course it is derogatory. And by 'crew' i assume you mean most of the country.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.