• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Israel Folau can send this thread to hell and no others

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Expressing it on Twitter was a fucking stupid thing to do. Now RA has to react to it due to the media blow up and probably go to loggerheads with Izzy about it to some level...at a time when he is coming off contract and looking to re-negotiate.

Fuck

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Okay you are not a believer. I am a member of a mainsteam Christian church, and I can assure you that this sort of hateful remark is not "mainstream". All the mainstream religions accept the notion of redemption, and anybody who actually takes the time to read and understand exactly what Jesus said and did would not say anything like this.

I'm not saying it's a majority view, especially among modern day Christians in the western world (it was close to a universal view for many centuries though). Perhaps mainstream was the wrong word, particularly in an Australian context, but the belief that homosexuality is sinful, and that gays are going to hell is still believed by many millions of people in the world. That's all I meant. I'm glad we agree it's a stupid view.

But I'm not sure why you bring up redemption. Even Folau said people can repent. What offends people is the idea that homosexuality is something that requires redemption.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What if Higgers were a neo-nazi, would you defend his right to express his anti-semantic opinion? Or what if Hooper suddenly started writing comments on social media that black people shouldn’t be offered the same opportunities as whites?

Yes, I would.

The right to free speech is something I hold dear and that requires me to stand up for the right of an individual to express ideas that I detest as well as those I agree with.

I also believe any valid inclusion policy must include the right to freedom of religion (despite being an atheist) and there will be contradictions between all those agendas, people will be offended.

ricky-gervais-rickygervais-offense-is-taken-not-given-no-need-24244646.png

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
There is a very fine line between free speech and hate speech, both are held in very different regard by modern societies around the world. The finer points of both don't need to be debated in this forum agreed but as an Australian rugby fan, I don't approve of one of our highest profile stars putting crap like that out there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes, I would.

The right to free speech is something I hold dear and that requires me to stand up for the right of an individual to express ideas that I detest as well as those I agree with.

I also believe any valid inclusion policy must include the right to freedom of religion (despite being an atheist) and there will be contradictions between all those agendas, people will be offended.

A right we don't have.

This is stupid. Israel is stupid for having said it, people are stupid for giving a shit and we are stupid for arguing about it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There is a very fine line between free speech and hate speech, both are held in very different regard by modern societies around the world. The finer points of both don't need to be debated in this forum agreed but as an Australian rugby fan, I don't approve of one of our highest profile stars putting crap like that out there.

In Australia, you have to be attempting to incite violence for it to be some form of illegal speech. A neo-nazi calling for the death of all Jews or whatever.

Saying gays go to hell is not even close.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Lots of people missing the point in the other thread. This isn't a "Freedom of Speech" issue.

This is an employee publishing comments that contradict his contract, and the policies of his employer's organisation, while representing that organisation (his profile is full of Wallaby logos)

He can make those comments if he chooses, and he won't face any issues from the government, but he must also accept that there is a consequence for breaching the agreements he has made with Rugby Australia and for which he is very generously compensated.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lots of people missing the point in the other thread. This isn't a "Freedom of Speech" issue.

This is an employee publishing comments that contradict his contract, and the policies of his employer's organisation, while representing that organisation (his profile is full of Wallaby logos)

He can make those comments if he chooses, and he won't face any issues from the government, but he must also accept that there is a consequence for breaching the agreements he has made with Rugby Australia and for which he is very generously compensated.

So what do, sack him?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sounds reasonable. Doubt he'll apologize though.

On another note, how fucking shite is twitter. Giving muppets a voice.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sounds reasonable. Doubt he'll apologize though.

On another note, how fucking shite is twitter. Giving muppets a voice.

Muppets have always had a voice. Now they all potentially have an audience.
If only Israel's God didn't create social media. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.