• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2024

Soupnasty

Bob McCowan (2)
ISA Opens Squad 2024

St Augustines (17):

Cameron Paull
Riley Osborn
Lewis Wilson
Aron Brennan
Charlie Blank
Noah Rylands
Sam Blank
Oliver Metcalf
Olly McCracken
Tylan Berryman
Jesse Galluzzo
Zach Toole
Arthur Osbourne
Chayse Geros
Tamoko Berryman
Beau Alexander
Brodie Hitchman

Central Coast Grammar School (1):
Benjamin Hooton

Kinross (5):
Oscar Cleary
Jack Tink
Patrick Toberty
Shep Taylor
Sam Fabar

Oakhill (10):
Tom Alloggia
Joe Harvey
Luca Caruso
Taite Howells
Luke Muriti
Julian Carruthers
Ryan Scott
Mitch Holmes
Luke Alderson
Jack Taylor Hannify

St Gregs (5):
Luke Cannon
Preston Smallwood
Noah Spiteri
Cade Chapman
Mase Hillcoat

St Patricks (1):
Alex Conti

St Pius (4):
Dylan Tait
Luke Haldane
James Griffith
Noah Miller

St Stanislaus (3):
Cooper Watters
Jacob Hill
Gus Tremain

The two teams (ISA 1/ISA 2) will be announced on the day of Camp (26th of June). Then the games are played on the 27th and 28th of June.
How many do they pick??? It might have been easier to list who didn't make it!

What is the point of the trial?

Also, if there are 2 teams, would that be 15 + 23 = 38 Players

And Oakhill hard done by with only 10 players... quietly going about their business while everyone pumps up Auggies. Auggies scrape past Waves and Knox while Oakhill had less trouble.

RahRahRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
How many do they pick??? It might have been easier to list who didn't make it!

What is the point of the trial?

Also, if there are 2 teams, would that be 15 + 23 = 38 Players

And Oakhill hard done by with only 10 players... quietly going about their business while everyone pumps up Auggies. Auggies scrape past Waves and Knox while Oakhill had less trouble.
Soup, the two teams both have 23 players. 2x23=46. That's the size of the squad.

In regards to Oakhill, I don't think they'll mind one bit being undervalued going into the season. They've got that talent and motivation to go all the way this year, the only thing that is stopping them pretty much is Joe Walsh.

Forwardpack101

Bob McCowan (2)
Personally I think Walsh is just too good at game managing, kicking and i think he is just better at 10 than 12,
I think you put Harvey at 12

1. Galluzzo
2. Osbourne / Muriti
3. Carruthers
4. Alloggia
5.?
6.?
7. Blank (C)
8. Polley / Rylands
9. Blank
10. Walsh
11. Berryman
12. Harvey
13. Holmes
14. McCracken
15. Woods
Conti MUST be in there. He is a class above if that means he plays 12 then I guess that’s what it is but I don’t think it would be right to have two boys in the centres who he is quite simpler better than

Forwardpack101

Bob McCowan (2)
Conti MUST be in there. He is a class above if that means he plays 12 then I guess that’s what it is but I don’t think it would be right to have two boys in the centres who he is quite simpler better than
Although know I believe it should be
9 Blank
10 Conti
11 McCracken
12 Harvey
13 Holmes
14 ??
15 Berryman

Let me know thoughts

RahRahRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Except there is no Academy 1 or 2 this year
That pathway image was posted on the 4th of April this year, so after the Gen Blue games earlier this year.

I believe they are doing the same as they did last year. Academy Games will be in Term 3 and then another Gen Blue game in February next year.
I could be wrong please let me know or give a link with any official information.

The changes this year to the selection process is that the Sydney and Country teams will be competing against ISA, CAS, GPS and the rest on the 27th and 28th hence why only two ISA teams are being selected this year, not 3.

Wavesfooty2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Im also not 100% sure, but having a nephew go through the academy system at the start of the year he was told this was the last gen blue for the year. He may be wrong but just going off what he told me.

Where does Sydney and country vs ISA, CAS and GPS

Screen Shot 2024-06-06 at 7.00.42 pm.png

RahRahRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Where does Sydney and country vs ISA, CAS and GPS
This could be a mistake but this is the quote from the NSWJRU website:
"The summary of the pathway is that all Associations - School & Club (GPS, CAS, ISA, CCC, CHS, AICES, CRU (Country) & SJRU (Sydney)) will compete in trial games together and from here THREE x NSW teams will be selected in 2024. These three teams (NSW Schools I& II and NSW Juniors) will contest at the ASRU tournament in early July."

In terms of the Academy Teams:
In February & March, the Waratahs U18 Academy side played Queensland in 2 fixtures – from here a small number of identified players were selected in a PONI (Players of National Interest) squad. Further players could be added to this squad over the year up until the 8th of September.

The NSW Schools teams and the NSW Junior team will compete in the Australian Schools Championships to be held in Queensland in early July.

The NSW Waratahs Academy teams will be re-selected at the conclusion of all competitions and these teams will play Queensland Academy teams at the end of Term 3. The Australian Schools & U18 side will then be selected to play NZ.

DaSchmooze

Bob Loudon (25)
RRR, any early predictions for ISA round 1
Yeah I'll take a crack...

Now that the trials have been run and won, it’s now time to start making some bold predictions about the comp proper. I’ve put my predictions down below but I have to say, I think this season there will be a very big gap between the best and the rest. Whilst that may seem a little gloomy, it does open up some intriguing match ups and the race for the middle section of the ladder will be hotly contested.

Auggies
It certainly feels like this year’s ISA Championship will be a bit of a victory lap for St. Augustine’s. Their form in reaching the semi-final at the SANIX Championship, coupled with an all-conquering trial season leaves me to think that they are clear favourites. They just simply do things faster and with more skill than the opposition – any opposition – they’ve faced this year. But it’s not all smooth sailing…

You can imagine a scenario where “Davo” has his 18th on a Friday night and then the boys are faced with a long trip to Hogwarts or have to trundle up the road to Oxford Falls to face a Pius team with a point to prove. You get the feeling that it will only be Auggies that can defeat Auggies this year.

The keys to victory – enjoy the season and play your game. Beware suspicious invitations to Friday night gatherings!

Oakhill
Whilst not as flashy as their beachside rivals, Oakhill have gone about their business in a workman like way this year and their discipline has seen them beat more fancied opponents. The loss to Shore would have hurt, but, in hindsight, may have stung them into action. If anyone is going to defeat Auggies, it’s them – BUT – they will have to do so away from home. A tough task in anyone’s language.

The keys to victory – don’t believe the hype, everyone is beatable and discipline is king!

St. Pius X
What value do you place on trial wins and losses and does the strength of your opponent help or hinder you preparation? Pius come into this season with 4 solid wins. Where their opposition top of the pack? No. Does this matter? To be honest, I don’t think so. Learning how to win games is an important skill and 4 on the bounce tells me that Pius are ready to take the next step in their progress. The matches against Pats and Kinross will most likely determine their season but their first up game against Stannies away could derail the whole operation. But these guys have been here before, and they know what to do.

The keys to victory – forget the past and play like you know you can

Kinross
I’m torn between Kinross and Pats for the fourth spot. Their trial form was pretty darn good and I think the doldrums of their previous years could well be behind them. I suspect the first round against Pats could be the making or breaking of both of them - it will be a fascinating game. Having watched these guys a few times on years past, I always felt the game plan was right but the execution wasn’t. Have things changed this year? Only time will tell

The keys to victory – everyone will underestimate you at their peril. Have confidence in yourselves

St. Pats
A pretty rough trial season is the inverse of Pius. Tough games against Barker and Knox are only of value if you can remain in the hunt. I’m happy to say last week’s game against Barker is probably not an accurate reflection of where they are at but by the same token, they should have put up more of a fight than what they did. The backline is quality and is spoken of ad nauseum. But we all know where games are won and lost. Will the engine room have enough firepower to secure sufficient ball? If so, they'll win more than they lose. If they dont, then it's going to be a long season.

The keys to victory – guerrilla tactics are the order of the day. Avoid arm wrestles and power struggles

Stannies
I still don’t know if 6th place is an accurate reflection of where these guys are at. Could be much higher or much lower. At the start of the season their promising runs against Joey’s 3rds and Scots suggested that they were in for a good season. But the successive losses to Barker, Cranbrook and Waverly do not auger well. I wonder if the close loss to Waverley has had a negative impact on their season.

The keys to victory – remember your early season form. It wasn’t a fluke – you can do it again.

Gregs
Placing Gregs in 7th place is the low hanging fruit of schoolboy rugby tipping. It’s never as easy as that though is it. Solid wins against Shore 3rds, Aloys and Trinity bode well. But trying to compare like for like, we see that whilst Greg’s got the wins, it was only just and the margins aren’t as great as others. As always, they will present a very big challenge to all who play them, particularly out at Gregory Hills and they are well capable of the upset.

The keys to victory – keep the game plans simple and easily executable and magically watch as visiting teams start to panic if they haven’t scored points on you by half time.

There it is - some fearless predictions. Keen to hear what everyone else thinks and the very best of luck to all ISA boys. The association has had a very good start to the season and I hope everyone fulfils their potential.

Wavesfooty2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah I'll take a crack...

Now that the trials have been run and won, it’s now time to start making some bold predictions about the comp proper. I’ve put my predictions down below but I have to say, I think this season there will be a very big gap between the best and the rest. Whilst that may seem a little gloomy, it does open up some intriguing match ups and the race for the middle section of the ladder will be hotly contested.

Auggies
It certainly feels like this year’s ISA Championship will be a bit of a victory lap for St. Augustine’s. Their form in reaching the semi-final at the SANIX Championship, coupled with an all-conquering trial season leaves me to think that they are clear favourites. They just simply do things faster and with more skill than the opposition – any opposition – they’ve faced this year. But it’s not all smooth sailing…

You can imagine a scenario where “Davo” has his 18th on a Friday night and then the boys are faced with a long trip to Hogwarts or have to trundle up the road to Oxford Falls to face a Pius team with a point to prove. You get the feeling that it will only be Auggies that can defeat Auggies this year.

The keys to victory – enjoy the season and play your game. Beware suspicious invitations to Friday night gatherings!

Oakhill
Whilst not as flashy as their beachside rivals, Oakhill have gone about their business in a workman like way this year and their discipline has seen them beat more fancied opponents. The loss to Shore would have hurt, but, in hindsight, may have stung them into action. If anyone is going to defeat Auggies, it’s them – BUT – they will have to do so away from home. A tough task in anyone’s language.

The keys to victory – don’t believe the hype, everyone is beatable and discipline is king!

St. Pius X
What value do you place on trial wins and losses and does the strength of your opponent help or hinder you preparation? Pius come into this season with 4 solid wins. Where their opposition top of the pack? No. Does this matter? To be honest, I don’t think so. Learning how to win games is an important skill and 4 on the bounce tells me that Pius are ready to take the next step in their progress. The matches against Pats and Kinross will most likely determine their season but their first up game against Stannies away could derail the whole operation. But these guys have been here before, and they know what to do.

The keys to victory – forget the past and play like you know you can

Kinross
I’m torn between Kinross and Pats for the fourth spot. Their trial form was pretty darn good and I think the doldrums of their previous years could well be behind them. I suspect the first round against Pats could be the making or breaking of both of them - it will be a fascinating game. Having watched these guys a few times on years past, I always felt the game plan was right but the execution wasn’t. Have things changed this year? Only time will tell

The keys to victory – everyone will underestimate you at their peril. Have confidence in yourselves

St. Pats
A pretty rough trial season is the inverse of Pius. Tough games against Barker and Knox are only of value if you can remain in the hunt. I’m happy to say last week’s game against Barker is probably not an accurate reflection of where they are at but by the same token, they should have put up more of a fight than what they did. The backline is quality and is spoken of ad nauseum. But we all know where games are won and lost. Will the engine room have enough firepower to secure sufficient ball? If so, they'll win more than they lose. If they dont, then it's going to be a long season.

The keys to victory – guerrilla tactics are the order of the day. Avoid arm wrestles and power struggles

Stannies
I still don’t know if 6th place is an accurate reflection of where these guys are at. Could be much higher or much lower. At the start of the season their promising runs against Joey’s 3rds and Scots suggested that they were in for a good season. But the successive losses to Barker, Cranbrook and Waverly do not auger well. I wonder if the close loss to Waverley has had a negative impact on their season.

The keys to victory – remember your early season form. It wasn’t a fluke – you can do it again.

Gregs
Placing Gregs in 7th place is the low hanging fruit of schoolboy rugby tipping. It’s never as easy as that though is it. Solid wins against Shore 3rds, Aloys and Trinity bode well. But trying to compare like for like, we see that whilst Greg’s got the wins, it was only just and the margins aren’t as great as others. As always, they will present a very big challenge to all who play them, particularly out at Gregory Hills and they are well capable of the upset.

The keys to victory – keep the game plans simple and easily executable and magically watch as visiting teams start to panic if they haven’t scored points on you by half time.

There it is - some fearless predictions. Keen to hear what everyone else thinks and the very best of luck to all ISA boys. The association has had a very good start to the season and I hope everyone fulfils their potential.
Love it

How about the match ups for Round 1
Whose going to beat who?

RahRahRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
RahRah's 2024 ISA Ladder Prediction

1. St Augustine's College

It would be inconceivable to overlook the reigning champions as the out-and-out favourites for this year's Premiership. One of the most talented teams we have seen in a fair while. It's eerily similar to that 2016 Oakhill side.

The best schoolboy Scrum and Fly halves in the country, accompanied by a strong, agile and rapidly quick backline will make them hard to defend from anywhere. The forward pack looks to be mobile, fit and strong, and it's quite simply hard to find a weakness in their XV.

Their preseason has been excellent, with tough matches throughout against some of Sydney's quality teams and the world's elite teams at the SANIX Tournament. This preparation has undoubtedly given us a glimpse into the play style and attitude of the team, and it did not disappoint.

I'm predicting an unbeaten 2024 for Augustine's, the ultimate Top Dawg.

2. Oakhill College
Oakhill will undoubtedly be on a mission for redemption this year after virtually gifting the Premiership to Augustines on their turf during their own Gala Day last year. It's that sense of unfinished business that is likely to motivate these young men from Castle Hill to rise above recent history.

The team has quietly gone about their business this trial period, with a single loss to Shore. Oakhill looks to be a team that plays a gritty and determined style of Fooz that has a NO-BS attitude about it.

However, their success this season will depend heavily on their ability to shake off those sluggish starts we've observed in the trials, but also be able to be resilient and muscle up when the tough gets going, especially against Auggies.

With this in mind, expect a focused and determined Oakhill team as they enter this ISA season, driven by the desire to correct last year's missteps and make those who are watching over them, proud.

3. St Pius X College
St Pius has certainly been the surprise packet of this year's trial period. Although, is it correlated to their "lacklustre" level fixtures? With that aside the trial period has certainly allowed them to master their game plan and instill confidence in the boys that their style of footy works, an instrumental tool few teams will have.

The team sheets might lack the X-Factor names, however, that might work to their advantage, a true underdog story this could be.

Following a lacklustre season last year, the boys from Chatswood might just be the ones to shake up the entire competition with an upset victory against one of the top dawgs. These boys could become a team to watch, capable of turning the tides this ISA season.

4. St Patricks College
I feel 4 and 5 are interchangeable although Pats will nudge Kinross away IF Mitch Woods is playing for them all year.

It might seem unfair to the rest of the team, but Pats' Premiership aspirations ultimately hinge on these two players. Their partnership, honed in the SG Ball competition with the Bulldogs, should be sharp and seamless.

Last year, they were just one upset away from clinching the title. This year, their hopes of winning it all rest on the forward pack establishing a solid platform, giving Woods and Conti the space and opportunity to work their magic.

If the entire team plays their roles and Mitch Woods and Alex Conti step up during crucial matches against the top contenders, there's no reason this team can't contend for 70 minutes on their day against the Top Dawgs.

However, if Mitch Woods isn't available it could be a long season for the boys from Strathfield, who will need to rely heavily on the magician Conti if they want to win more than they lose.

Ultimately, success will depend on teamwork and the ability of these two stars to shine when the stakes are highest

5. Kinross Wolaroi School
A truly mixed bag from Kinross in the trial period leaves me hopeful this team can be really competitive this season.

They have a true team that is capable of putting a number on multiple teams, however, it will be their defence and consistency throughout the season that ultimately determine how well they go this year.

Round 1 v Pats will be a cracker game and will set the tone of the season for both teams.

6. St Stanislaus' College
It feels too low for Stannies, considering they always show fight and are so difficult to beat at home, however that speaks to the quality of competition we will have this year.

They're known for their grit and tenacity, though they seem to lack the finesse and flashiness. However, they're never short on spirit and are always up for a battle, refusing to yield even against the best in the competition, which will make them one of the toughest fixtures for any school this year.

Any team that makes the long bus trip to Bathurst knows they're in for a relentless fight, regardless of their standing.

7. St Gregory's College
Although placing Gregs in 7th seems like the easiest prediction this year, it's rarely that simple.

I have optimism that Gregs can compete fiercely each week, testing the limits of their opponents. If they consistently demonstrate resilience and determination, we could see some thrilling matches. The key for Greg’s this year will be channeling their energy and focus, proving they can be more than just an afterthought this ISA season.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Oakhill and Auggies will be a great game. I heard Oakhill are going to try to muster up as much of a crowd as possible against Auggies. I speculate Oaks have been quite underrated this trial period, only losing to Shore and having marginally larger wins against Knox and Waves when compared to Auggies. Sleep with one eye open tipsters...

belowthesternum

Bob McCowan (2)
For Any Auggies Supporters out there,
I have noticed that one of the lower opens Oakhill Teams are playing Auggies but at Manly Oval. Does anybody know why this is the case, is this going to temporary or are they moving out of Rat Park permanently?

Choptackle

Herbert Moran (7)
I have noticed that one of the lower opens Oakhill Teams are playing Auggies but at Manly Oval. Does anybody know why this is the case, is this going to temporary or are they moving out of Rat Park permanently?
I believe this game is purely a friendly match for one of the lower grades at manly oval. Nothing has happened to rat park, Auggies will continue to play there, this is a one off.

ISA

Stan Wickham (3)
No this is most likely just as Rats will be playing on the mainfield through the day. Otherwise no details have been released as to why the boys will be at Manly oval. They did this 2 years ago in 2022 for their games against Trinity. Most likely just giving the boys a better experience.