• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

ISA 2024

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
ISA ROUND THE GROUNDS

BEST...SchoolImage
HOME GROUNDOakhill
Located on site with plenty of grass to sit on. Great viewing from almost any point as well as all fields in close proximity to each other, and most importantly, in close proximity to the BBQ.
View attachment 19108
BBQ (MOST IMPORTANT)Oakhill
Great variety, never light on the bacon and the BBQ Dads never mind a cheeky chin wag. Always a good time when you get to visit Oakhill.
View attachment 19109
1ST XV JERSEYSt Patrick's
A clean all black jersey, matched with the black shorts and socks. Silky look might I say....
View attachment 19110
AWAY TRIPSt Stanislaus':
Who doesn't love the away trip to Hogwarts? Boys on the bus at 4am, immaculate vibes and always a great day when visiting. Nothing beats the Maccas trip on the way home.
View attachment 19111
SUPPORTERSTIED (OAKHILL AND STANNIES)
Both schools always show up in numbers for home games. Stannies definitely get the edge for away games as they always travel as a group, although it's difficult to go past that Oakhill crowd on Gala Day.
View attachment 19112View attachment 19107
RIVALRYOakhill vs St Augustines
Hard to go past this one. Almost every year these two have been competitng for that Rugby premiership. The rivalry extends through all grades, as well as through different sports. Certainly will be the game of this year at Rat Park in a couple months time.
View attachment 19106

All my own opinion and would love to add categories, and hear everyone else's opinion about the best ____.

Love Always, Rugby Enthusiast
RahRah
Went to a gps school but always enjoyed the trip to stannies …. Great vibes ….also hospitality at oakhill always on point.

RahRahRugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
ALL ASSOCIATIONS TIER LIST - POST-TRIAL PERIOD

TIER 1

St Augustine's College (ISA)

TIER 2

St Josephs College (GPS)
Shore School (GPS)
Oakhill College (ISA)
St Ignatius' College Riverview (GPS)
Waverley College (CAS)

TIER 3

Kings School (GPS)
Newington College (GPS)
Waverley College (CAS)
Scots College (GPS)
Barker College (CAS)
Knox Grammar School (CAS)

TIER 4

St Pius X College (ISA)
St Patricks College Strathfield (ISA)
St Stanislaus' College (ISA)
Kinross Wolaroi School (ISA)
Trinity Grammar School (CAS)
Cranbrook School (CAS)

TIER 5

St Gregory's College (ISA)
Sydney Grammar (GPS)
St Aloysius School (CAS)
Sydney Boys High School (GPS)

Last edited:

JoeMarshall67

Frank Row (1)

TIER 1

TIER 2

St Josephs College (GPS)
Oakhill College (ISA)
Shore School (GPS)
Newington College (GPS)

TIER 3

Kings School (GPS)
Waverley College (CAS)
Scots College (GPS)
Knox Grammar School (GPS)
Barker College (CAS)

TIER 4

St Pius X College (ISA)
Cranbrook School (CAS)

TIER 5

Sydney Grammar (GPS)
Excuse my scrutiny RahRah, but it comes as news to me that the CAS has become a 4 team comp, with Knox being demoted to GPS, and St Aloysius falling of the rankings entirely.

Cheers,
JM67

CasualObserver

Sydney Middleton (9)

TIER 1

TIER 2

St Josephs College (GPS)
Oakhill College (ISA)
Shore School (GPS)
Newington College (GPS)

TIER 3

Kings School (GPS)
Waverley College (CAS)
Scots College (GPS)
Barker College (CAS)

TIER 4

St Pius X College (ISA)
Cranbrook School (CAS)

TIER 5

Sydney Grammar (GPS)
How are Oakhill and Joeys in the same tier? Oakhill beat the under-strength Joeys 2nd XV by only 2 points. Kings beat Joeys yesterday in a proper game yesterday, shouldn't they be in the same tier as Joeys?
I think for Augustines to be regarded as the only team in tier 1 they would need to beat some other teams in a game that actually means something, with teams at full strength.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

TIER 1

TIER 2

St Josephs College (GPS)
Oakhill College (ISA)
Shore School (GPS)
Newington College (GPS)

TIER 3

Kings School (GPS)
Waverley College (CAS)
Scots College (GPS)
Barker College (CAS)

TIER 4

St Pius X College (ISA)
Cranbrook School (CAS)

TIER 5

Sydney Grammar (GPS)
Great effort putting something like this together as a discussion starter.

Possibly Cranbrook and High deserve to be in the bottom tier on their own. The others up to T4.

I would have the top 3 tiers into 2 tiers. Augs obviously very good but their wins over Joeys, Waverley and Knox have been less than a try so possibly at all 4 could be in the top tier.

RahRahRugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
How are Oakhill and Joeys in the same tier? Oakhill beat the under-strength Joeys 2nd XV by only 2 points. Kings beat Joeys yesterday in a proper game yesterday, shouldn't they be in the same tier as Joeys?
I think for Augustines to be regarded as the only team in tier 1 they would need to beat some other teams in a game that actually means something, with teams at full strength.
It's based on the trials, and that's all I've gone off of - the wins and the losses. Regardless of who they play or whose injured, Schools can only beat who's in front of them on the pitch, and, Auggies have done that in 2024 bar one game, losing to the SANIX Tournament winners.

I think you just have to give them their flowers and admit that a GPS school isn't the Top Dawg in Season 24.

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
Excuse my scrutiny RahRah, but it comes as news to me that the CAS has become a 4 team comp, with Knox being demoted to GPS, and St Aloysius falling of the rankings entirely.

Cheers,
JM67
Joe M,

Ignore this chest beating exercise, if anyone bothered to do this every year, and I don't know why you would, the table would certainly look very different historically for the ISA.
It's just that 2 ISA teams have finally beaten some historically stronger schools, JUST.
Nothing wrong with that, and many of us welcome a new looking CAS/ISA comp, but chest beating ain't the go!

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
Joe M,

Ignore this chest beating exercise, if anyone bothered to do this every year, and I don't know why you would, the table would certainly look very different historically for the ISA.
It's just that 2 ISA teams have finally beaten some historically stronger schools, JUST.
Nothing wrong with that, and many of us welcome a new looking CAS/ISA comp, but chest beating ain't the go!
Funny ;) but true! Let's move on and focus hopefully on a stronger comp next year.
I was very reliably told yesterday that next year, a new looking CAS/ISA comp would be established, ie a tier 1 and tier 2 comp!
Finger crossed!

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)

TIER 1

TIER 2

St Josephs College (GPS)
Oakhill College (ISA)
Shore School (GPS)
Newington College (GPS)

TIER 3

Kings School (GPS)
Waverley College (CAS)
Scots College (GPS)
Barker College (CAS)

TIER 4

St Pius X College (ISA)

TIER 5

Sydney Grammar (GPS)
Cranbrook School (CAS)
St Aloysius School (CAS)
Probably should swap newington and kings

CasualObserver

Sydney Middleton (9)
Funny ;) but true! Let's move on and focus hopefully on a stronger comp next year.
I was very reliably told yesterday that next year, a new looking CAS/ISA comp would be established, ie a tier 1 and tier 2 comp!
Finger crossed!
What would the two tiers in a CAS/ISA be based on? Is it 1st XV, overall programm, or self selecting. A school like Barker has a good 1st XV, but can't put teams out in the underages.

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
What would the two tiers in a CAS/ISA be based on? Is it 1st XV, overall programm, or self selecting. A school like Barker has a good 1st XV, but can't put teams out in the underages.
Co, and yours IS the important question!

Whilst i don't pretend to know, I would guess that it is the depth of teams in each age group AND the recent competitiveness of each school across all these teams. eg a Minimum in a Tier 1 comp of A-Ds in each age group, maybe 16s being the exception as many solid 16s boys are put into the Opens. The tough one is Barker because it is very competitive in it's 1sts but often not so in every team below.

You would like to think that the Rugby masters of these schools are close enough to know what is the best outcome for their particular school.

number8bro

Frank Nicholson (4)

TIER 1

TIER 2

St Josephs College (GPS)
Oakhill College (ISA)
Shore School (GPS)
Newington College (GPS)

TIER 3

Kings School (GPS)
Waverley College (CAS)
Scots College (GPS)
Barker College (CAS)

TIER 4

St Pius X College (ISA)

TIER 5

Sydney Grammar (GPS)
Cranbrook School (CAS)
St Aloysius School (CAS)
Solid list RRR, but I reckon Waves and Cranbrook could move up a tier and maybe drop Stannies, Newington, Gregs and Trinity down a tier. Other than that, spot on

Pull ya socks up

Bob McCowan (2)
Sock Height Wrap Up:

The boys from Oakhill made the journey out to the dreaded Queens Park this week to take on Waverly. Great success across all ages, the boys playing in some horrific conditions.

The Ankle Height Sock Committee (AHSC) lost some members this week but saw some loyalty in:

No.11 Cyrus Bloomfield (Ankle Height Supremacist)
No.15 Darcy Feltham
No.3 Julian Carruthers
No.8 Sam Polley

Big thanks to the following boys who had the dignity to pull the socks up (or warm the calves; it was quite a storm) following gala day's disappointing display:

No.2 Luke Muriti (c)
No.4 Tom Alloggia
No.6 Luca Caruso
No.12 Joe Harvey
No.13 Mitch Holmes

Without further adieu, your Aesthetic Player of the Week goes to Luke Alderson, Oakhill's 10. Wow, wow, wow. Jersey tucked in. Socks where we love them. Enough tape to demand respect, but not so much that he looks silly. The headgear also paired beautifully with Oakhill's Indigenous-style Jerseys.

Socks up and out.

RahRahRugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sock Height Wrap Up:

The boys from Oakhill made the journey out to the dreaded Queens Park this week to take on Waverly. Great success across all ages, the boys playing in some horrific conditions.

The Ankle Height Sock Committee (AHSC) lost some members this week but saw some loyalty in:

No.11 Cyrus Bloomfield (Ankle Height Supremacist)
No.15 Darcy Feltham
No.3 Julian Carruthers
No.8 Sam Polley

Without further adieu, your Aesthetic Player of the Week goes to Luke Alderson, Oakhill's 10. Wow, wow, wow. Jersey tucked in. Socks where we love them. Enough tape to demand respect, but not so much that he looks silly. The headgear also paired beautifully with Oakhill's Indigenous-style Jerseys.

Socks up and out.
I want to introduce what I think is the SockHeight-Performance Interaction. In that, the Sock Height is directly proportional to the performance - only for this Waverley game as such.

On Saturday it seemed the LOWER the Sock Height the HIGHER the quality of performance. Feltham made a game-breaking run, Polley was everywhere physically, while Carruthers is a force to be reckoned with. And of course, there's the Founder of the AHSC, Mr. Bloomfield who again had himself a solid outing.

An OUTLIER though was the Aesthetic Player of The Week Alderson, who I thought kicked well and was able to steer the forwards around the 'pool', ultimately leading Oakhill to a gutsy win.

Although I strongly believe that all socks should be pulled up to the greatest heights allowable. Maybe the boys can take after Mr Aesthetic and get those socks above those calves!

A little bit of fun to lighten the mood on the Forum, and a different way to announce my weekly Oakhill standouts.

Love Always, Rugby Enthusiast,
RahRah

Last edited:

Backintheolddays

Billy Sheehan (19)
If a proposal like this is to proceed I'd imagine depth would be the primary driver, as that is also a general indicator for quality. Barker would be the outlier in Opens, quality there but little depth or quality in juniors.

Pull ya socks up

Bob McCowan (2)
I want to introduce what I think is the SockHeight-Performance Interaction. In that, the Sock Height is directly proportional to the performance - only for this Waverley game as such.

On Saturday it seemed the LOWER the Sock Height the HIGHER the quality of performance. Feltham made a game-breaking run, Polley was everywhere physically, while Carruthers is a force to be reckoned with. And of course, there's the Founder of the AHSC, Mr. Bloomfield who again had himself a solid outing.

An OUTLIER though was the Aesthetic Player of The Week Alderson, who I thought kicked well and was able to steer the forwards around the 'pool', ultimately leading Oakhill to a gutsy win.

A little bit of fun to lighten the mood on the Forum, and a different way to announce my weekly Oakhill standouts.

Love Always, Rugby Enthusiast,
RahRah
Interesting take that I have been considering over the past couple of weeks. First noticed it out under the lights against Shore. I put it to bed when all 3 injuries that game were committee members. Maybe time to resurface the theory. The question is, correlation or causation?