• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB Sevens 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Now we don't even have a live telecast of the final day?

What the hell is going on? Have Fox Sports lost their calendar, or something, their EPG shows a "live" event beginning at 3 am Monday.

One thing for sure, there is no sign anywhere on Foxtel of the Las Vegas Sevens at the moment. None.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
wamberal, the 3am start is due to the time difference between here and Las Vegas.

There are official live streams available from USA sevens website.

I am sure that google may find other streams. Scotland vs Samoa is on now.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
wamberal, the 3am start is due to the time difference between here and Las Vegas.

There are official live streams available from USA sevens website.

I am sure that google may find other streams. Scotland vs Samoa is on now.

Hugh,

The EPG says that the event is being telecast live at 3 am tomorrow morning, our time.

It is not being telecast live, if it was, it would be on now, wouldn't it? Or is time travel involved, or relativity, or quantum computing or something too difficult for me to understand?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hindsight lol

Spain managed their one win of the tournament against us. I think that says a lot more about us, than it does about Spain. Wake me up when Spain beats New Zealand, then we can talk about who is, or is not, a champion team.

T

TOCC

Spain beating Australia(and previously England) as well as the USA and Kenya toppling the traditional rugby giants is an obvious indicator that the gap between nations has closed(except for maybe new zealand). People need to remove the mindset that the outcomes of matches in 7's should reflect the traditional rankings of the XV's rugby, i love the fact that a team like England can win the New Zealand series but then lose to Portugal in the very next series, its a level of competitiveness and surprise that we rarely see at test level rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't disagree that there are more surprises in the Sevens series than there are in the longer form of the game. When tournaments are played in totally different time zones on successive weekends, upsets are more likely than in a more structured environment.

Unless one is really into the minutiae of player availability, form, injuries, selection choices across all the competing teams, it is impossible to gauge form from tournament to tournament. Unlike Test match rugby, where form is more reliable.

We do not even know, for example, whether any of the squads take advantage of the subtitute player rule, which used to apply (and still does, AFAIK), whereby if a team has enough injuries, it can draft in one or more players from other teams.

So what appears to be a surprise, might not be, given all the circumstances; or to put it more correctly, if all the circumstances were known, some results are not all that surprising.

I still believe that we should be able to beat a minnow like Spain, any day of the week, at any version of the game. And when we lose, I am surprised - but not in a good way.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Hugh,

The EPG says that the event is being telecast live at 3 am tomorrow morning, our time.

It is not being telecast live, if it was, it would be on now, wouldn't it? Or is time travel involved, or relativity, or quantum computing or something too difficult for me to understand?

The Las Vegas tournament is being played over three days.

The Semi Finals and Finals are being played on Sunday morning Septica Time from 09:20 their time (which I think must be 3am Monday morning our time).
1st game will be Portugal v Uruguay, followed by Aust v Kenya @ 09:42 Septica time.
Last weeks runner up is competing in the Semi Final of the Shield Comp!
Last Weeks winner is in the Bowl Semi Final.

T

TOCC

Unless one is really into the minutiae of player availability, form, injuries, selection choices across all the competing teams, it is impossible to gauge form from tournament to tournament. Unlike Test match rugby, where form is more reliable.

We do not even know, for example, whether any of the squads take advantage of the subtitute player rule, which used to apply (and still does, AFAIK), whereby if a team has enough injuries, it can draft in one or more players from other teams.

So what appears to be a surprise, might not be, given all the circumstances; or to put it more correctly, if all the circumstances were known, some results are not all that surprising.

So what you're saying is, it really shouldn't be a surprise because we can examine the variable of quantitive measurements pertaining but not limited to injuries, strength & conditioning, psychological effects, physical effects of desynchronosis(jet-lag), existing skill-sets, morale and coaching ability and ascertain a winner....

Thats impressive

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's not really impressive, it's all pretty random in practice. You obviously have a different opinion, but in the world that I live in fans of sport look for a certain consistency. Yes, the occasional upset is great, but there does need to be some kind of on-going narrative.

The HSBC Sevens circuit has been great for a few years. It will need to settle down a bit, get a bit of structure, sooner or later.

The fact that this leg seems to have been and gone with absolutely no interest here in Australia is significant, I would have thought. We used to see both days of the tournaments, now the best we can look forward to is the final day. Sometimes.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The fact that this leg seems to have been and gone with absolutely no interest here in Australia is significant, I would have thought. We used to see both days of the tournaments, now the best we can look forward to is the final day. Sometimes.

Not only that, but in sporting terms on Fox this part of the year before the start of Super Rugby and mungo, with only minor golf tournaments and little cricket, is a time you would have expected to get full coverage. They had ice hockey on a couple of nights ago, a sport with very few Australian followers (probably something to do with our lack of ice and snow). So why couldn't we see at least a delayed telecast of the first day? The ratings of previous tournaments must have been abysmal!

LoneStar

Stan Wickham (3)
On attack they've really missed Fa'alavaau and Fou throughout this tournament.

They're playing Kenya right now, and leading 24 - 0 at halftime.

LoneStar

Stan Wickham (3)
They beat Kenya just now, 38 - 7. They'll be playing Uruguay next in the Shield Final.

Kenya made the final last week and finish dead last this tournament.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Last weeks winners got belted by Les Frogges 7-40 in the Bowl Semi Final, meanwhile Fiji who couldn't make it out of the Pools last week, took the Darkness to extra time in the Cup Semi final.

Mistakes in 7's rugby can be very costly.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The boys finished off well with a 41-0 win over Uruguay in the Shield Final. Lets hope they can get things back on track for Hong Kong next month.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah it was enthralling to watch. Looks like SA are too strong n the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.